Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Rolls out of Bed and Stretches [Ep VII Spoilers]

Davrum

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not really any more bland than every other Star Wars movie title. And is a pretty good parallel to 'The Empire Strikes Back.' On the other hand, it fits too neatly; so I'm guessing its a fake.

It seems unlikely from where it was allegedly taken: stuff being prepared for the Lucasfilm European Star Wars Celebration. It's possible the dude created a graphic and stuck an audio track of lots of people over the top and filmed it, but it seems a bit elaborate for a hoax.

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It seems unlikely from where it was allegedly taken: stuff being prepared for the Lucasfilm European Star Wars Celebration. It's possible the dude created a graphic and stuck an audio track of lots of people over the top and filmed it, but it seems a bit elaborate for a hoax.

I dunno, it seems like it'd be considerably easier to create than that fake Age of Ultron post-credit scene. Some people apparently think this sort of thing is worth the effort. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Not really any more bland than every other Star Wars movie title. And is a pretty good parallel to 'The Empire Strikes Back.' On the other hand, it fits too neatly; so I'm guessing its a fake.

Say what you will about it (and I will as it's easily the shittiest of the 7 movies) Attack of the Clones is not a bland title.  Regardless it seems real to me.. why?  Disney has set out to make Star Wars as bland as it can.

36 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Say what you will about it (and I will as it's easily the shittiest of the 7 movies) Attack of the Clones is not a bland title.  Regardless it seems real to me.. why?  Disney has set out to make Star Wars as bland as it can.

I dunno. My rule of thumb is, can the subtitle stand as a movie title on its own? And I don't think any of the Star Wars subtitles can. Maybe Attack of the Clones could. But compared to something like Ghost Protocol/Tokyo Drift/Dead Man's Chest/etc. it doesn't really hold up. With Star Wars, its always a pretty bland descriptor. 

17 hours ago, Fez said:

I dunno. My rule of thumb is, can the subtitle stand as a movie title on its own? And I don't think any of the Star Wars subtitles can. Maybe Attack of the Clones could. But compared to something like Ghost Protocol/Tokyo Drift/Dead Man's Chest/etc. it doesn't really hold up. With Star Wars, its always a pretty bland descriptor. 

I think The Phantom Menace would work reasonably well as a title, shame about the film it is attached to.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well a movie needs to stand on its own and not require people to watch the Blu ray extras in order to gain a better appreciation of it. So I will still say Ep VII was a let down.

And I think you're still in the minority. :)

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well a movie needs to stand on its own and not require people to watch the Blu ray extras in order to gain a better appreciation of it. So I will still say Ep VII was a let down.

It was a let down, The First Order, Kylo Ren and Supreme Hologram were a pale imitation of greatness.

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/Galactic-Empire_ee15e2e7.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1200%2C675&width=768

1 hour ago, Leap said:

If you watched the special features or 'making of' documentary for the Godfather, it would probably allow you to appreciate it more. The fact that a film can be appreciated more by hearing the makers talk about it has no bearing on whether or not the theatrical release is good. 

How come you didn't like Episode VII?

Because it's a blatant copy of episode 4 and uses fanservice to try and get you to like it?

28 minutes ago, Leap said:

Everyone's aware of that criticism, but most people don't hate the entire film because of the questionable story. 

Particularly when almost every other element of it is genuinely very high quality.

I was asking why he didn't like it because although there are obvious criticisms that most people agree on, but differ on how serious a problem it is, it might be that he hated the acting or the visuals, or whatever. 

It's possible, but far less likely.

It is a visually competent movie (the helicopter shot was eh though) but, at the end of the day, this is 2016 and not 1977. Such movies -at that budget- aren't as rare. Even if you do the expected a lot of people will still have story issues. I mean, Thor: The Dark World was visually competent, as far as I remember.

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That was kinda the point.

Its like The disabled Lebowski, going around pretending to be a Millionaire, I bet Luke will be like, Ha!, look at these phoneys Rey, walking around pretending to be Sith Lords, and, to stick on the same comparison, they're fucking amatuers.

9 hours ago, Leap said:

If you watched the special features or 'making of' documentary for the Godfather, it would probably allow you to appreciate it more. The fact that a film can be appreciated more by hearing the makers talk about it has no bearing on whether or not the theatrical release is good. 

How come you didn't like Episode VII?

Because I didn't want to watch Ep IV again. I didn't really know anything about the plot going in, and as the movie kept hitting the Ep IV story beats over and over, I became less and less interested in the movie.  

If it bothers you that much, just consider it a soft reboot to bring in the next generation. It hit all the same Joseph Campbell beats that made Ep IV resonate and they wanted to give new kids (and people who missed that in the prequels) the same "new" thrill.

I expect VIII and IX to be less copies, but with some similar resonance. Star Wars is like music. The recurring themes will continue to resurface and twist. Rey's parentage will be a "Darth Vader is Luke's father" reveal. Someone will probably be dead or in some dark place at the end of  8 and the good guys will be on the ropes.

That doesn't mean they are just copies of the originals. Those are hallmarks of drama in a three act structure going back to ancient Greece. All of this has been copied before and all of this will be copied again.

Archived