Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Rolls out of Bed and Stretches [Ep VII Spoilers]

Davrum

On 1/28/2016 at 5:11 AM, Corvinus said:

Besides the lens flare from Starkiller's beam, I did not notice any other lens flare. And we knew about that one from the trailers.

The laser bolt being held in mid air by Kylo gives off some hardcore lens flare as Poe looks back over his shoulder at it, but aside from that it was very sparingly used.

I've never had a problem with JJ's love of lens flares myself.

On 1/28/2016 at 1:33 AM, red snow said:

I probably wouldn't be as harsh in terms of clunkers as there's only AOU I've come to actively dislike. I'd say all the rest have been fun while at the cinema.

Fair call, I was being overly harsh saying they had 45% clunkers. Iron Man 2 is really the only absolute mess in my eyes but even that had fun stuff from Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke.

On 1/28/2016 at 4:23 AM, Corvinus said:

I'll have to watch the movie again to better analyze the lighting/cantina scene you guys are talking about, but let me re-iterate, TFA did receive an Oscar for film editing.

Also we are talking about an alien planet. Just because it's a lush, green planet doesn't mean there cannot be more than one sun in the system. From what I remember of that TIE fighter shot, there was at least another celestial object in the sky, probably a moon.

Edit: Or the planet's rotation could be slower, so the whole scene takes place in one morning. There could be loads of other variations that could cause the light to stay relatively constant. The point is we are arguing about something that could be easily explained by making something up that no one can disprove.

Honestly, most of the lighting was fine - top notch even - but that one magic hour shot does stick out like dog's balls. And sure, anything can be explained outside the text of any film, but that's not what good visual storytelling is about.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Honestly I do t even know what lens flare is, so I just nod along as though I understand what you all mean when you talk about it.

Honestly. I know this is a pretty nerdy site but the level of nerdom in the recent Star Wars threads is something to behold.

Honestly if this film doesn't begin EXACTLY where Ep VII left off I will probably explode. All this "Star Wars films never follow on immediately" business can go fall in a trash compactor.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Honestly. I know this is a pretty nerdy site but the level of nerdom in the recent Star Wars threads is something to behold.

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed by it. The Star Wars threads are really quite slow and quiet, and there are only maybe 8-10 of us who post frequently in them. Compared to the internet as a whole, I'd say the Star Wars nerdom here is pretty low.

7 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed by it. The Star Wars threads are really quite slow and quiet, and there are only maybe 8-10 of us who post frequently in them. Compared to the internet as a whole, I'd say the Star Wars nerdom here is pretty low.

Honestly you ought to be pleased. You converted me.

11 minutes ago, Davrum said:

Honestly if this film doesn't begin EXACTLY where Ep VII left off I will probably explode. All this "Star Wars films never follow on immediately" business can go fall in a trash compactor.

Honestly, it has to, though. If it doesn't have some kind of time jump, the traditional opening crawl will probably be crap.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Honestly, it has to, though. If it doesn't have some kind of time jump, the traditional opening crawl will probably be crap.

Honestly you make a good point damn you.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Honestly, it could work. Something like this.

Star Wars:

Episode VIII The Dark Rises

Five minutes after the the end of the last film

wherein REY was just handing ANAKIN SKYWALKER's ightsaber,

that he used to slaughter countless children,

to LUKE, our story continues with her training to become a JEDI KNIGHT.

Meanwhile, in the stronghold of the FIRST ORDER, a place of power 

known to the ancient SITH, KYLO REN trains to become powerful enough

to finish what DARTH VADER started, an destroy the last of the JEDI...

Archived