NFL 2016: Super Bowl in Memory of John Fox

Maithanet

9 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Think the Bengals are going to loose Marvin Jones. Not sure they will pay their #3 target 7 million a year. 

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/5/10922544/marvin-jones-not-offering-bengals-hometown-discount-wants-7-million

I think the Bengals will let him test free agency and see when he comes back.  2015 was his best year, and he got 800 yards, which is not exactly stunning.  No team is going to pay $7 mil for an above average WR3. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

He is, there is no doubt about it. But at some level you have to feel bad for him. He has serious problems on a number of fronts.

And now it's being reported that his dad fears that he won't live to see 24 and has twice this week refused to go back to rehab.

Yeah. It's easy for us to poke fun at shit like this and the kid has pretty much fucked his whole life and future up in front of the whole country, but seeing his dad's comments makes it that much sadder. Time heals all though. I'm sure some dumb team(Eagles) will sign him to be a backup in a season or two if he straightens his shit out.

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think the Bengals will let him test free agency and see when he comes back.  2015 was his best year, and he got 800 yards, which is not exactly stunning.  No team is going to pay $7 mil for an above average WR3. 

For sure though I think numbers only tell one side of the story. He was a 5th rounder who was injured the entire 2014 season and in 2013, during his first year starting, he had 10 TDs. If you put on the tape and watch him play, I think he has shown the skills and talent to be a WR1. It just so happens he's on a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, which limits targets but he's definitely the WR2 and he has had some big catches and plays in big moments. This is one of those situations where he might get $7 mil a year at somewhere like Cleveland, Minnesota, Miami, SF, SD (even with Allen, Jones can get downfield) where he'd have the opportunity to become the WR1. While teams pay for past production, they also pay for future and Jones is very talented. Fairly sure Hue Jackson, when asked who had untapped talent, immediately went to Jones and said the sky is the limit for him and I believe it. As much as I want him back (and he's my top priority next to Iloka), I think he takes more money elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

For sure though I think numbers only tell one side of the story. He was a 5th rounder who was injured the entire 2014 season and in 2013, during his first year starting, he had 10 TDs. If you put on the tape and watch him play, I think he has shown the skills and talent to be a WR1. It just so happens he's on a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, which limits targets but he's definitely the WR2 and he has had some big catches and plays in big moments.

But that cuts both ways - there are lots of guys that look great as the #3 weapon on a team with a lot of receiving talent, only to fall flat when they sign elsewhere and are expected to produce like a WR1 (or even a WR2).  The most prominent example for Redskins fans is Andre Roberts, who was a promising young WR at Arizona, who produced fairly well as the WR2 beside Fitz (800 yards in 2012), but then get pushed aside when they drafted Floyd. 

He signed a 4 year, $16 million dollar contract to be the #2 guy in DC in 2014 (prior to signing DJax), but has been falling steadily down the depth chart ever since.  He was a healthy scratch a couple of times this year, and I'm sure he'll be cut.

Hearing you talk about it, Jones is probably a bit better than Roberts, but still, he should be careful not to assume the grass will be greener on some other team.  Particularly if they don't have the weapons the Bengals do.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

For sure though I think numbers only tell one side of the story. He was a 5th rounder who was injured the entire 2014 season and in 2013, during his first year starting, he had 10 TDs. If you put on the tape and watch him play, I think he has shown the skills and talent to be a WR1. It just so happens he's on a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, which limits targets but he's definitely the WR2 and he has had some big catches and plays in big moments. This is one of those situations where he might get $7 mil a year at somewhere like Cleveland, Minnesota, Miami, SF, SD (even with Allen, Jones can get downfield) where he'd have the opportunity to become the WR1. While teams pay for past production, they also pay for future and Jones is very talented. Fairly sure Hue Jackson, when asked who had untapped talent, immediately went to Jones and said the sky is the limit for him and I believe it. As much as I want him back (and he's my top priority next to Iloka), I think he takes more money elsewhere.

Yeah, Jones seems like a bargain at 7 mill per. I'd love to see that guy in a Niner's uniform. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, Jones seems like a bargain at 7 mill per. I'd love to see that guy in a Niner's uniform. 

If he wasn't formerly a Ravens WR, he doesn't exist in Trent Baalke's world. For you, it's Kamar Aiken or GTFO.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Hearing you talk about it, Jones is probably a bit better than Roberts, but still, he should be careful not to assume the grass will be greener on some other team.  Particularly if they don't have the weapons the Bengals do.

Yea, I agree. I'm hoping he thinks that way and takes advice from Houshmanzadeh and Michael Johnson, two players who left for more money and failed elsewhere. But you never know, there is an ego to these players who want to be the guy and the added money doesn't hurt.

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Yeah. It's easy for us to poke fun at shit like this and the kid has pretty much fucked his whole life and future up in front of the whole country, but seeing his dad's comments makes it that much sadder. Time heals all though. I'm sure some dumb team(Eagles) will sign him to be a backup in a season or two if he straightens his shit out.

Agreed. None of us knows what it's like to be young, rich and famous, besides PQJ when she had a short stint as a major Canadian pop star, It's hard to imagine how that would impact a person, and if you don't have the right temperment it could wind up being a disaster.

I'm not trying to make excuses for his actions, just trying to understand them.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He is, there is no doubt about it. But at some level you have to feel bad for him. He has serious problems on a number of fronts.

And now it's being reported that his dad fears that he won't live to see 24 and has twice this week refused to go back to rehab.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. None of us knows what it's like to be young, rich and famous, besides PQJ when she had a short stint as a major Canadian pop star, It's hard to imagine how that would impact a person, and if you don't have the right temperment it could wind up being a disaster.

Well, you make it hard for me to rant against your 'you have to feel bad for him' assertion when you reference my Jacelyn Sparkles days. But I don't feel bad for Jonnathan Manziel, he's not the first famous young person or even football player on earth. An asshole alcoholic who puts his hands on women deserves no sympathy. He's an entitled shitfuck who never had to grow up and is also 'allegedly' a terrible human being.

Fuck him.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, is Jace Alanis Moriessette? That explains a few thing :)

Just now, trickster said:

Wait, is Jace Alanis Moriessette? That explains a few thing :)

I don't know who that is.

Meanwhile, Matt Forte is leaving Chicago. Are you as willing to drop Jim Irsay into an active volcano to bring him to town as I am?

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Let's Go to the Mall was MY JAM.

Partial to Sandcastles in the Sand, myself.

40 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Meanwhile, Matt Forte is leaving Chicago. Are you as willing to drop Jim Irsay into an active volcano to bring him to town as I am?

I am all in, bring Forte to Indy. 

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I agree with Manhole, Lets Go to the Mall was always my favorite single of yours. 

Archived