NFL 2016: Super Bowl in Memory of John Fox

Maithanet

I've always thought they should hold a kickball or slow pitch softball game.  The we could actually see these players, laughing and drinking beer instead of half assing their way through a bad game.   

I agree with this.  I think that just having a skills challenge and maybe some sort of Ninja Warrior style obstacle course (but more suited to the strength and size of NFL players) would be awesome.  It wouldn't be must-see TV, but it would at least be fun, something the Pro Bowl clearly isn't. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with this.  I think that just having a skills challenge and maybe some sort of Ninja Warrior style obstacle course (but more suited to the strength and size of NFL players) would be awesome.  It wouldn't be must-see TV, but it would at least be fun, something the Pro Bowl clearly isn't. 

I was going to suggest going full out flag football like a college intramural league.

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Oh man. How much money would I pay to see Vince Wilfork and Tom Brady race each other in a Ninja Warrior course?

Seahawks fans are now making petitions against their fellow whiny bitch Seahawks fans

And even that petition makes me want to smack its writer. Think we have the new worst fanbase in the NFL. If any of these people were fans during all those pre-2012 years where the Seawawks lost routinely, there would be no special snowflake syndrome. They would know better. These  assholes discover passionate fandom for the first time and think they invented it. 

ETA: Jinx Dante! 

Funny bit on Deadspin about dueling Seahawks fans petitions. Apparently filing stupid petitions is, like, their thing. Did you know there was a petition asking that Joe Buck and Troy Aikman no longer broadcast Seahawks games, because they are obviously biased against the Seahawks. And now there's a backlash where they file petitions against each other.

The first is more specific, targeting Andrew Tilton—the fan who created the ban-Cam-Newton petition—and asking that Tilton be banned from attending Seahawks games.

The second asks for a blanket ban on all petitions by Seahawks fans. And, while coming from a noble place, it demonstrates plenty of that superiority complex we’ve come to know and love.

And here's the text from the second petition:

Fellow Seahawks fans, the letters you write chastising Cam Newton for tearing down a 12 flag in his home stadium and petitions you start trying to ban him from The C-link are making all of us look like pathetic, whiny bitches. It only takes one or two of these stupid stunts to embarrass millions of 12s and make the rest of the country think we’re a bunch of crybaby sore losers. Yes, we (along with many, many football fans around the country) think Cam Newton is an arrogant, unsportsmanlike, showboating douche canoe. But for god’s sake, get a grip. Grow up, get over it, start acting like football fans and knock it the hell off. There are plenty of fans around the country who hate us and some of our players, too. It goes with the territory when you dominate the league. Let’s show them we’re the superior team and fanbase by our performance on the field and in the stands next year.

I appreciate the sentiment of this petition creator, but I still have to dock him (assuming it's a him) points for non-ironic use of "12s."

Friends, can we all agree not to refer to our own fanbases with branded nicknames? Like, if some dipshit tried to popularize calling Patriots fans "Minutemen" or something, I'd tell them to fuck off. But Cheeseheads can be grandfathered in. That's okay.

Edit: Apparently I was so thoroughly ninjaed that I didn't even notice Jaime's post until like 45 minutes later. I shake my fist at you, Jaime. You and all your fellow LikeThats.

52 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Friends, can we all agree not to refer to our own fanbases with branded nicknames? Like, if some dipshit tried to popularize calling Patriots fans "Minutemen" or something, I'd tell them to fuck off. But Cheeseheads can be grandfathered in. That's okay.

No, no, no. It's Massholes. You don't get to pick your own nickname. It is known. 

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

No, no, no. It's Massholes. You don't get to pick your own nickname. It is known. 

I would actually embrace the Masshole moniker. But it is not sufficiently inclusive. There's 4.5 other states to cover. And I'm pretty sure "Masshole" was coined due to driving habits, not sports fandom.

So how did Winston get invited to Pro bowl over Cousins? In what world does that make sense?

Cousins - 4166 yards 29 td 11 int, 69.9% comp (led league) and QB rating 101.6 - won Division

Winston - 4042 yards 22 tds 15 int, 58.3% comp, and QB rating 84.2  missed playoffs

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I would actually embrace the Masshole moniker. But it is not sufficiently inclusive. There's 4.5 other states to cover. And I'm pretty sure "Masshole" was coined due to driving habits, not sports fandom.

Hmm, solid point. Wahlberg Nation, maybe? Duck Boat Jugguhnauts? I don't know.

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I agree nicknames need to be bestowed. So what are we calling the Seahawk fans? The Millenials? The (20)12s? 

22 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So how did Winston get invited to Pro bowl over Cousins? In what world does that make sense?

Cousins - 4166 yards 29 td 11 int, 69.9% comp (led league) and QB rating 101.6 - won Division

Winston - 4042 yards 22 tds 15 int, 58.3% comp, and QB rating 84.2  missed playoffs

For something that should be merit-based it makes no sense. My theory is there's a clear bias towards "up-and-coming" young QBs like Winston and Bridgewater. Though picking Tyrod Taylor doesn't fit that dynamic. 

So Occam's Razor: the people picking the Pro Bowl put as much effort into their jobs as the players put into the game itself.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Like, if some dipshit tried to popularize calling Patriots fans "Minutemen" or something, I'd tell them to fuck off.

This made me laugh. I think it underscores the issue you Patriot fans have in that the term "Patriot" has been co-opted by the Republican party. There's no nickname you can now bestow upon your fanbase that doesn't make it sound like y'all don't ride around the desert at night hunting illegal immigrants and/or Iraqis.

Of course my team name presents its own...issues.Can we change the fucking name already?!

Just scrap the Pro Bowl.  Name people to the team, don't bother with the game or with a skills competition or anything else. All of the all-star games are worthless, as there's too much money at stake for guys to play hard in them.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Just scrap the Pro Bowl.  Name people to the team, don't bother with the game or with a skills competition or anything else. All of the all-star games are worthless, as there's too much money at stake for guys to play hard in them.

Agree completely regarding football. The NBA's is the best, methinks, given that the game itself just lends itself to razzle-dazzle and defense can be an afterthought without it hurting the enjoyment of the game. I like MLB's as well, I just wish they wouldn't tie it to anything meaningful like home field advantage in the Series. That bit is nuts. 

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Agree completely regarding football. The NBA's is the best, methinks, given that the game itself just lends itself to razzle-dazzle and defense can be an afterthought without it hurting the enjoyment of the game. I like MLB's as well, I just wish they wouldn't tie it to anything meaningful like home field advantage in the Series. That bit is nuts. 

Back in the day i loved the NHL's all star weekend with stuff like the hardest shot, fastest skater, things like that.

Can easily be done in the NFL. Even kickers could be made entertaining by seeing how far they can kick and still make it. Little events like that could replace the game altogether and make it a more fan involved event. 

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I like The (20)12s. That's a solid. Using their own nickname against them.

I'm in.

24 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This made me laugh. I think it underscores the issue you Patriot fans have in that the term "Patriot" has been co-opted by the Republican party. There's no nickname you can now bestow upon your fanbase that doesn't make it sound like y'all don't ride around the desert at night hunting illegal immigrants and/or Iraqis.

Of course my team name presents its own...issues.Can we change the fucking name already?!

Actually we patrol the northern forests, hunting Canadians, to send them squealing back to enjoy their outlandish french fry dishes and universal health care. I still don't know how Ted Cruz eluded our pickets.

I'm of a mixed opinion on the Patriots thing. I am wary of the general NFL association with toxic chest-thumping xenophobia, but it's also nice that a region that is commonly derided by Republicans for our liberal values owns the word Patriot in the country's biggest and most retrograde sport. That's right, motherfuckers. Liberty was born here.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

I'm of a mixed opinion on the Patriots thing. I am wary of the general NFL association with toxic chest-thumping xenophobia, but it's also nice that a region that is commonly derided by Republicans for our liberal values owns the word Patriot in the country's biggest and most retrograde sport. That's right, motherfuckers. Liberty was born here.

Not to mention Dunkies, kid!

Archived