Littlefinger a Targaryen loyalist?

Lord Lannister

This idea occurred to me when I was thinking about the mysterious tapestries of Robert's that he had Cersei send to him in the Vale. Now King Robert kept various hunting tapestries in the Throne room to take the place of the Targaryen dragon skulls. Though I doubt these would be of any interest to Littlefinger. However there is another set of tapestries that may well have fallen into Robert's possession before his death. Or even after.

House Darry's tapestries of the various Targaryen kings were discovered by Tyrion easily enough. Though this wasn't exactly a well kept secret as even Viserys was aware of the Darry tapestries across the Narrow Sea. Certainly the castle's staff and any visitors would be aware of the Darrys loyalty to the old dynasty. It's unlikely that Robert cared about this if he knew as he tended to turn a blind eye to anything short of armed rebellion. However given much of the royal court was there chances are Littlefinger would be aware of this small fact.

Darry traded hands multiple times during the war of the five kings. The Lannisters took it, House Darry liberated it, the Mountain sacked the castle and finally Roose Bolton ordered the castle burned. So the Lannister forces had no less than two chances to loot the castle and seize those tapestries. More than that if the Tallhearts looted the castle before burning it and they ended up in Roose's hands at a time he was known to be conspiring with the Lannisters.

Tapestries of any kind are extremely rare and valuable given the amount of time and effort involved in making them. So it's unlikely they'd be destroyed unless absolutely necessary. The Mountain was certainly loyal to Cersei and would've looted and pillaged in her name and sent the profits to King's Landing. Once those profits got there, who else but the Master of Coin to take charge of them? Littlefinger is many things but not wasteful. I think it's possible he'd store them at the bottom of another pile of tapestries Cersei had already deemed meaningless to her, Robert's old hunting tapestries.

He then has the Darry tapestries shipped to the Vale in secret and now has portraits of the Targaryen rulers. But why? We already know Littlefinger is undermining the Lannister regime and setting himself up to be a winner in the event of their downfall. When Aegon lands I think he means to give the Vale over to him and offer to marry Sansa Stark to him. The tapestries would just be a nice backdrop during those negotiations and a fitting gift to a boy who's never seen his family. Certainly it would explain his tongue in cheek remark to Sansa about Cersei sending him Robert's old tapestries.

I could be reaching here in a few places, but the whole thing does seem a Littlefingeresque scheme to me. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

My thought is that Littlefinger is a Littlefinger loyalist.

That goes without saying, but the title is suggestive which is what I wanted. Baelish will make common cause with whomever he stands to gain the most and I think he's leaning towards (f)Aegon at the moment. If you have time, do look over the rest of the idea and give your thoughts on it.

Littlefinger will always twist his plans to adapt to the current situation and to come out on top so it could be possible. If he marries Sansa to Harry the Heir though and he beds her,  she is no longer a virgin and Littlefinger cannot have Sansa marry Aaegon so I don't see the marriage happening as at the moment it seems Sansa will marry Harry.

I wouldn't say LF is a Targ loyalist, if he kept the tapestries is to have yet another tool to use if it becomes more favorable for him to play the Targ loyalist, he doesn't seem to truly be loyal to anything but himself, and I fail to see any other connection with the Targs that would imply loyalty to them.

1 hour ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

My thoughts too. Littlefinger will join whoever wins if he can keep and/or expand his position and will constantly adapt if needed. I don´t doubt he would try something like OP suggests if needed to, but I refuse to see such an act as loyalty.

Personally, as a Targaryen loyalist, I want Littlefinger executed regardless of the influence he can offer because that man can´t be trusted. At all. For me, he is on my absolute shit-list, together with Ramsey and the Freys. Not even Jaime, Gregor nor Cersei is on that list.

And I doubt Varys would allow Aegon to take such a deal if presented. He knows better than to trust him.

My thoughts too. Littlefinger will join whoever wins if he can keep and/or expand his position and will constantly adapt if needed. I don´t doubt he would try something like OP suggests if needed to, but I refuse to see such an act as loyalty.

Personally, as a Targaryen loyalist, I want Littlefinger executed regardless of the influence he can offer because that man can´t be trusted. At all. For me, he is on my absolute shit-list, together with Ramsey and the Freys. Not even Jaime, Gregor nor Cersei is on that list.

And I doubt Varys would allow Aegon to take such a deal if presented. He knows better than to trust him.

Just a question, a Targ loyalist hates the Frey? Didn't they killed half of Targaryen enemies or something?

Anyway, if LF allies to Targaryens, it will to use them as his tools.

As everyone else has said Littlefinger is a Littlefinger loyalist. He is also a bandwagon jumper, who tries to insert himself with new rising forces, promise them stuff, and gain power in the process, after showing himself useful. Of course he doesn't mind betraying any of them the second it is advantageous to him. The Lannisters-Tyrells are in decline, and we have reasons to believe that Aegon might even get Kingslanding (at least for some time). LF has available fresh troops from the Vale, and I think using these troops to help Aegon is probably going to prove more important than the tapestries. But they might be a hint for the readers perhaps and yeah you might be right that he might gift them to Aegon.

Unfortunately for LF, if Tyrion is Daenerys advisor, he would have a lot more difficulty using Daenerys, the same way he used all those other factions before, or jumped ship when it was advantageous. Because of Tyrion's information. If I was Tyrion, and I suspect this guy almost got me killed, and I didn't try to kill him when I had the opportunity, I would now want to make up for this and get rid of the world of Littlefinger. In addition, The height of Vale's fortress and the idea that it is supposedly impenetrable from bellow, makes me think that it will be visited by dragon(s).

10 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

Just a question, a Targ loyalist hates the Frey? Didn't they killed half of Targaryen enemies or something?

By destroying the principle of guest right, murdering wedding guests, breaking one of Westeros most important laws and making sure noone will feel safe in weddings ever again. There is a reason that we even today have diplomatic immunity for diplomats.

I dont care that Robb got killed, I care about the principle and method as well as the blatant overreaction. He should have declared officially for Tommen instead of performing such a vile scheme. I hope Daenerys (if she wins) strip the Freys of their land and gives them to someone loyal. That they killed her enemies (which we dont know for certain, since Robb never got the chance to submit) doesnt let them of the hook - not even close.

10 hours ago, Protagoras said:

By destroying the principle of guest right, murdering wedding guests, breaking one of Westeros most important laws and making sure noone will feel safe in weddings ever again. There is a reason that we even today have diplomatic immunity for diplomats.

I dont care that Robb got killed, I care about the principle and method as well as the blatant overreaction. He should have declared officially for Tommen instead of performing such a vile scheme. I hope Daenerys (if she wins) strip the Freys of their land and gives them to someone loyal. That they killed her enemies (which we dont know for certain, since Robb never got the chance to submit) doesnt let them of the hook - not even close.

Robb was doomed from the start, it didn't take a genius to realize he was going to fall before he reached his goal. So I too could care less if he was killed. I may be callous but the Red Wedding didn't impact me like it has a lot of readers. It was the culmination of stupidity and arrogance, as well as the House Stark Bannermen placing their faith in a boy because of his father's reputation. He was basically forced into the job, though not reluctantly since it didn't take long for the power to go to his head.

The biggest lesson  he failed to learn was that which lead to his father's death. Honor is a nice concept but it will not save you when you fight against men who have none. He was a piss poor judge of character where Walder Frey and Roose Bolton are concerned. With Walder I can give him a pass but with Bolton there is no way he wasn't sketchy at best.

The fact that his banner is a skinned human and that his family was known for that brutality should have been enough. Would any "honorable" man want to fight beside someone who's family had been doing something that I imagine would by now be attributed to wildlings, along with the accusations of cannibalism and other deeds they heaped on those whom they saw as less than human. The moment that House Bolton's banner was described in the book I knew they were not to be trusted.

Archived