What Would GOT Characters Think Of Our World?

SomeguyOne

Since I am sure we have all read stories involving people from our world entering the world of other fantasy realms. I want to know what would happen if Game of Thrones Characters were suddenly on our world or would see visions of our world? What would they think? Suppose that Game of Thrones did not exist in our world so people would not notice them. What would the culture shocks be like? Suppose this was taking place during the first book.

I imagine they would think our world was:

More high-tech

More bullshit

Pretty crazy in general (many intellectual concepts that exists in Westeros and in our own world would probably not mesh very well)

Less violence

Less/More freedom (depending on who you ask, the nobles would feel there was less freedom while the smallfolk would feel there was more etc.)

Confusing

1 hour ago, Daendrew said:

If George would have written Lord Daenald of House Trump I would call him a hack because that's a caricature of a human being and can't possibly be real.

Some have said the same of Donald Trump...

I think they'd have been awed by the tall buildings and technology, but incredibly confused and unable to speak our languages.

The mountain that rides would try to rape a woman in public. He would fight off the first few that tried to stop him and then a cop would put a .40 cal round through his brainpan and he would be dead. Then his brother could get plastic surgery to look less hideous. Dany and the other targs would die suffering from congenital health problems related to inbreeding. Arya would later act in kung fu movies, Jaime, Bronn, Belwas and Loras would be an MMA fighters. Loras and Renly would live as an out couple and adopt a kid. Cersei and Marg would be a stripper Duo who would get famous by being in hip hop videos and later moving into erotic films  as they age. Jon and Robb would run their dad's hot spring retreat in the north. Bran would spend his days campaigning for the wider use of stem cell therapy.  Bob B. would be an extreme lifestyle guru who dies after boar hunting with a spear and Rickon would end up on a rehab show for huffing glue 

They would be less offended and surprised by our culture than actual medieval people.  The sexual mores of Westeros are much looser than in most of medieval Europe, and some other lands are libertines compared to us.  Since religion does not appear to be as oppressive, you wouldn't have too many people freaking out that women were allowed in public with bare limbs or that not everyone is respectful to people carrying swords.  The tall buildings would not be as shocking to people who had been to Oldtown or any of the taller castles, though they would still be impressed with large cities - one multi-hundred foot tall structure is normal, not dozens.  A maester or other educated person would probably not assume all the strange inventions were magic like a real medieval person.

Basically, it would not be near as big of a culture shock as, say, any person from England in the 13th century brought to modern times.

I think it would depend on the person.  The best example I can think of is modern city people vs. country people. I've always lived in rural areas, and although I am well traveled and adore visiting new and different places, you'd have to have a gun to my head to get me to move to NYC or LA.   My daughter on the other hand has the same background, and it's her dream to live in NYC.  Some people are happier adapting to a radical change in environments than others. 

People like the Lannisters and Tyrells would hate being transplanted to the US, because even if you are sort of their equivalent (say maybe the Kardashians), there are definite limits to how much power you have over the people and world around you. 

Someone like Sansa or Arya or Sam or Jon would probably love to live where the course of their lives is not destined to make them miserable or outcast. 

Tyrion would probably enjoy the wealth of information he suddenly had access to online, not to mention the copious amounts of drugs that don't exist in Westeros. Sam would love the knowledge availability as well, and Cersei, Arianne, and Arya would all enjoy the relative freedom they would have in deciding their own lives (although the first two would likely have difficult actually accomplishing anything, since they tend to undervalue the advantages their privilege gives them in their own universe.

Where are they landing? Somalia is going to be different than China, which will be different than Japan, which will be different than Spain, Yemen...etc.

I think they would love modern medicine, the pain relievers, the antibiotics. They no longer need to die because of infection. They no longer need to see the birthing bed as potentially lethal for woman or child. They can have bones set, operations, dentistry, all (relatively) without pain. Yay.

They'd also love the high speed stuff we have, I think.

The rich, powerful ones would be ultimately disappointed, and look at the past with nostalgia. The odds of LF (or Tywin or Varys) becoming so powerful that they could control a continent's history would be nil.

2 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

I think it would depend on the person.  The best example I can think of is modern city people vs. country people. I've always lived in rural areas, and although I am well traveled and adore visiting new and different places, you'd have to have a gun to my head to get me to move to NYC or LA.   My daughter on the other hand has the same background, and it's her dream to live in NYC.  Some people are happier adapting to a radical change in environments than others. 

People like the Lannisters and Tyrells would hate being transplanted to the US, because even if you are sort of their equivalent (say maybe the Kardashians), there are definite limits to how much power you have over the people and world around you. 

Someone like Sansa or Arya or Sam or Jon would probably love to live where the course of their lives is not destined to make them miserable or outcast. 

Hahahaha! Just pictured the Lannisters' and Tyrells' expressions when they realized their US equivalents are the Kardashians. Also, Tywin's heart attack the first time he sees his kids on the cover of some trashy tabloid.

58 minutes ago, Little Lark said:

Hahahaha! Just pictured the Lannisters' and Tyrells' expressions when they realized their US equivalents are the Kardashians. Also, Tywin's heart attack the first time he sees his kids on the cover of some trashy tabloid.

You know that networks would be falling over themselves to sign the Lannisters for a reality TV show. "Life with the Lannisters" would get awesome ratings.  Actually, if you think about it, the houses that play the Game actually are sort of the smallfolks' version of reality tv and tabloids. 

Archived