American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

23 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@polishgenius (can't quote spoiler tags, sorry) Based on stuff outside the episode, with cast interviews etc. It seems like they will be mixing up chronology and also expanding various roles (Bilquis, Mad Sweeny and Laura among them).

As for where it ends, I feel like I read an interview a while back saying the carousel, so maybe it does end there, but can't for the life of me find it, so maybe I'm wrong. I recently heard that Easter is introduced in episode 6 so maybe that's a clue.

Though I guess they could end with the Carousel ride, and start the next season with the scenes after that

I found a panel, though this is before season two was confirmed, where Gaiman says Season 2 would open with House on the Rock. My confusion with the carousel seems to have been that Fuller got to ride it. The way the other cast talk I think I'm mistaken about it being in this season.

I'm a little unsure about where they've gone with Laura. It's great that they've made her a much bigger part and told her side of the story much more, and much of it was done really well, particularly after she died and stroed into Fuller territory, but the route they've gone makes their connection seem so tenuous, so far. Like they've deliberately made her a bit disconnected from the world but they've gone too far and thus her following and protection of Shadow is now justified by a rather uncomfortable literalisation of a 'light of my life' metaphor that really doesn't ring true from what we saw of them together in life.

Love what they've done with Aubrey though.

Another great episode. This one works very well standing on its own actually, so I hope returning to the main narrative next week doesn't feel jarring.

Love their expansion on Laura, and it's hard to pick a favourite scene. This stuff is apparently from Gaiman himself if anyone is interested. 

Anubis was as great as last week. The scenes between Laura and Aubrey were fantastic though. I felt like the comedic aspects worked well without taking it too over the top and absurd (if a zombie asking to shit out embalming fluid in your bathroom can ever not be considered absurd of course...)

Decent fleshing out of Shadow and Laura's past. I don't know if I like Laura more or less now, however.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Laura and Audrey scene.

The Anubis scene and Ibis and Jacquel scene were my favorite parts of the episode. Brief shot of Bast too.

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Apparently this is an original song. Singer from Garbage is the singer.

Really? Why do I feel like I've heard it before? Good song regardless

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

Decent fleshing out of Shadow and Laura's past. I don't know if I like Laura more or less now, however.

The Anubis scene and Ibis and Jacquel scene were my favorite parts of the episode. Brief shot of Bast too.

Don't think we necessarily have to like Laura after the flashback. But it certainly more makes her feel more "real." I've known/know people who always seem dissatisfied with life when they seem to have so much. And I can kind of empathise with that - I don't think it's all that uncommon to wonder, as the Strokes once said, "Is this it?" and want something more. So I thought the flashback was a nice way of rounding out Laura's character and making her realistic without making her likeable per se. 

I find your taste in scenes questionable ;) 

Bast...makes me wonder how they'll do that scene when they get to it. I've no doubt they'll keep it in. But I'm interested to see he special effects they use

Yeah much more developed, but her ennui and unhappiness got a bit tiring for me in the episode .

I loved the Ibis and Jacquel scenes in the novel, so love seeing them in the tv adaptation..

Maybe Andrew Lloyd Weber can direct the Bast scene :)

Eh I liked it, her transition from a metaphorical zombie to a literal one worked narratively.

I liked the greater depth added to her, even if I still can't completely sympathise.

My only problem was that it isn't as interesting to me as the main story and little vignettes are, so I was slightly miffed to get none of them. But this was an episode I wouldn't have wanted cut up or spread out either.

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Eh I liked it, her transition from a metaphorical zombie to a literal one worked narratively.

I liked the greater depth added to her, even if I still can't completely sympathise...

Very well put. I couldn't have said it better myself. The scenes with her at work, running the same routine night in and night out really established her apathy so well.

Also, this whole time I was thinking she was calling Shadow "Papi" and not "Puppy." D'oh.

Clearly I'm in the minority here.  I wouldn't have minded it so much if it hadn't taken a whole episode to get us where we were last week.  I hope it proves relevant in the long run because we found it seriously tedious.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:15 AM, Astromech said:

Oh I thought it was awesome. "Get out of my house, you zombie whore!" :lmao:

eta: Also this: "I had Robbie buried with his penis shoved up his ass. I'm a vulgar woman. Anger and grief have made me a vulgar woman."

On 23/05/2017 at 0:54 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Another great episode. This one works very well standing on its own actually, so I hope returning to the main narrative next week doesn't feel jarring.

Love their expansion on Laura, and it's hard to pick a favourite scene. This stuff is apparently from Gaiman himself if anyone is interested. 

Anubis was as great as last week. The scenes between Laura and Aubrey were fantastic though. I felt like the comedic aspects worked well without taking it too over the top and absurd (if a zombie asking to shit out embalming fluid in your bathroom can ever not be considered absurd of course...)

Aubrey is officially the greatest friend on the face of the planet. What kind of person who, after finding out their best friend was blowing their husband while he was driving leading to both of their deaths and then having the re-animated corpse of that friend turn up in their bathroom with embalming fluid diarrhoea, would have an amazingly reasonable chat with them given the circumstances and twenty minutes later would be helping sew their missing limb back on? A fucking awesome person, that's who.

Still haven't seen the latest. Think I may just wait until the season is done now. None of the episodes besides the premier have had me excited for the next one. I'll miss out on the discussion though which is proving useful as when I read the book there were loads of references I couldn't easily get answers to at the time.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

There are two clips floating around of Gillian Anderson channelling David Bowie, and Crispin Glover's Mr World. Unfortunately I can't watch them because I can't make whatever player Starz are using work.

This is from The AV Club. http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-gillian-anderson-david-bowie-american-gods-255934

That was an AMAZING episode.

-Gillian Anderson's Media was amazing as David Bowie and Marilyn Monroe. 

-Laura's ass kicking of Mad Sweeney was hilarious. There's also not much funnier than an unlucky leprechaun. I especially liked when he racked his nut on the police car's door.

-The entire police station scene was incredible but...

Book Spoiler

Spoiler

Was it all a con by Wednesday and World/Loki to get Shadow away from Laura? The raven telling Wednesday about Laura and then Sweeney showing up to get the coin would imply so.

I read the book in anticipation for this series, Gaiman meanders a little too much for my liking, but overall I loved the book.  So far I'm digging the show too, especially the last couple episodes.  The actor playing Sweeney, Pablo Schreiber played a friend of mine in another film (Benghazi), and he's a complete nut, perfect for this show. 

Trebla - I came to the same conclusion.

Also, if the House on the Rock is going to be season 2's opener, MAN are they plodding along just slow as they please.  If that's indeed the case, we could end up with more seasons than GoT at this rate, which I wouldn't complain about if the quality stay high.

Is Ian McShane fantastic still or what?  I'm an avid WW2 aviation history student, and re watch 1969's Battle of Britain film at least yearly, and every time I see McShane in that film, it blows me away he's still kicking ass.  I truly hope the rumors of a Deadwood TV film/reboot are true.  Regardless, McShane as Wednesday is something I'm finding myself looking forward to every week.

I fucking love Mad Sweeney.

Gillian Anderson continues to be great. Crispin Glover was glorious and feels like an actor that is just perfect for this show.

I don't have a problem with the pacing yet, but I feel like I'm probably going to, eventually.

Archived