American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

I liked most of the episode. The beginning with Shadow and Laura had me worried it was going to be too much like last week's episode. Thankfully it was only about 15 minutes worth.

Huginn or Muninn warning Wednesday about Yoko Ono trying to break up the band was hilarious. I immediately thought about Lassie.

And Anansi showing up in jail to help Wednesday and Shadow :)

Wait, who's Huginn/Muninn? I don't remember that line in the episode.

And where was Anansi helping Wednesday?

Also, can we please tag book spoilers? Some of us haven't read it, and the title doesn't say book spoilers.

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Wait, who's Huginn/Muninn? I don't remember that line in the episode.

And where was Anansi helping Wednesday?

Huginn and Munnin are the crows. They didn't literally mention Yoko.

Anansi sprang the cuffs. 'That spider is a friend of mine'.

19 hours ago, Trebla said:

Book Spoiler

Hide contents

Was it all a con by Wednesday and World/Loki to get Shadow away from Laura? The raven telling Wednesday about Laura and then Sweeney showing up to get the coin would imply so.

Spoiler

I think the whole Prison bit was a con but not to get Shadow away from Laura but a bit of theatre for Anansi - and by proxy the rest of the old gods.

Make a big show of Mr World offering well the world and Odin turning it down out of principle/disgust at the ways of the new gods goes a ways to bringing some of the stubborn old ones to his side

Overall this show keeps me bordering between enjoying it and a solid meh.

Mad Sweeney was the highlight of this ep just as Audrey and Anubis were for last weeks but the bits in between and the plot drag so much that If I wasn't already invested as a book reader this would probably be in the "ignore til its finished then binge if people say its good" pile

(book spoiler)

Think it was

definitely to get Laura away, in part. There might have been some show for Mr. Nancy, but the timing was waaaaaaay too obviously tied in with Laura being there.

That's actually a change from the book, since there Shadow goes straight to Wednesday after their meeting and tells him about it, and Wednesday isn't overly bothered, but... it worked.

The Mr World scene was another one of those that seemed specially designed to be viewed differently by book readers than fresh faces. Specifically, it amused me that for all he's a snotty little shit, the Technical Kid was asking the pertinent question.

Also: casting Crispin Glover Jonathan Tucker as Mr World and Low-Key was a stroke of genius. It is absolutely plausible to me that the same person is lurking behind the facades.

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Ravens.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Raven shmaven (when you're right you're right).

Given all ravens are crows the point seems trivial to me.

I'm reading the book as we speak, loving both versions.

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I loved this episode. I have nothing of substance to add other than to sit and fawn over Gillian Anderson as Media as Bowie and Monroe

She was definitely a highlight, but the Laura and Mad Sweeney hotel scene stole the show for me. I hope we see more of these two together.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

(book spoiler)

Hide contents

Think it was

definitely to get Laura away, in part. There might have been some show for Mr. Nancy, but the timing was waaaaaaay too obviously tied in with Laura being there.

That's actually a change from the book, since there Shadow goes straight to Wednesday after their meeting and tells him about it, and Wednesday isn't overly bothered, but... it worked.

The Mr World scene was another one of those that seemed specially designed to be viewed differently by book readers than fresh faces. Specifically, it amused me that for all he's a snotty little shit, the Technical Kid was asking the pertinent question.

Also: casting Crispin Glover Jonathan Tucker as Mr World and Low-Key was a stroke of genius. It is absolutely plausible to me that the same person is lurking behind the facades.

Book Spoilers

Gaiman's already said this series will go at least three seasons, so I wonder if Mr. World/Loki's role will change form the book. Maybe he'll try to double cross Odin and then come back to the original plan? It's been a long time since I read the book, so my memory isn't so great on exactly what Loki's motives are for helping Odin with this war--just for the hell of it? Some big league mischief making? Loki has already got power as Mr. World, so he's not looking for Loki worship, at least not in the same way Odin is.

Agreed on Technoboy's whiney rant being a dead-on Easter egg in a way for book readers. Also, it serves as a great clue to non-book readers as to the underlying scheme Wednesday has going.

This is both the best and the worst show to watch high.  Best because it's incredibly trippy.  Worst because my girlfriend keeps asking me what's happening since I've read the books and I can't explain it to her.  

Mr World book spoilers regarding above discussion

I guess for Loki chaos is more his goal than power? So he may go along with it simply because it stirs shit up? In a sense Loki being the most powerful god would make him in charge which would be a sort of order.

Book Spoilers

Spoiler

Going off slightly spotty memory but I think Loki gains power from Chaos the same way Odin gets it from blood sacrifice so the war empowers them both - plus I mean he's the trickster god I think no matter what kind of power he's got or where he is on the totem pole he's gonna scheme for the hell of it 

21 hours ago, Talleyrand said:
  Hide contents

I think the whole Prison bit was a con but not to get Shadow away from Laura but a bit of theatre for Anansi - and by proxy the rest of the old gods.

Make a big show of Mr World offering well the world and Odin turning it down out of principle/disgust at the ways of the new gods goes a ways to bringing some of the stubborn old ones to his side

Overall this show keeps me bordering between enjoying it and a solid meh.

Mad Sweeney was the highlight of this ep just as Audrey and Anubis were for last weeks but the bits in between and the plot drag so much that If I wasn't already invested as a book reader this would probably be in the "ignore til its finished then binge if people say its good" pile

I'm with you on this.

23 hours ago, red snow said:

Mr World book spoilers regarding above discussion

Hide contents

I guess for Loki chaos is more his goal than power? So he may go along with it simply because it stirs shit up? In a sense Loki being the most powerful god would make him in charge which would be a sort of order.

16 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Book Spoilers

Hide contents

Going off slightly spotty memory but I think Loki gains power from Chaos the same way Odin gets it from blood sacrifice so the war empowers them both - plus I mean he's the trickster god I think no matter what kind of power he's got or where he is on the totem pole he's gonna scheme for the hell of it 

If I didn't already have a list of shows and movies to watch and a shelf full of books to read, I'd re-read the novel. But I do, so I won't. Luckily there is the Interwebs and people like you two to help a fella out. Both of those reasons listed make sense and are good enough for me. ;) 

Mixed episode for me. The Coming to America and Laura, Salim and Mad Sweeney bits I enjoyed, especially the banter between those three. Vulcan was a bit of a miss for me. Too over the top, more so his followers.

I really like the bits with Mad Sweeney and Laura, it's a fun road-trip they're on and I look forward to seeing where it goes. I'm a bit sceptic about Salim though. I really like the character but I'm not sure how I feel about him running after the Djinn. 

Vulcan was a great idea that didn't completely work, the whole town just felt a bit silly. And the music was awful during parts of the episode, it was just too loud, too irritating and too distracting. Absolutely awful.

I loved Hephaistos.

As a newbie who didn't read the books, what I got for now is that the new gods are actually ancient gods too who made the transition and became something else (e.g. the god of wood story, but who is he?). And there are some in between like Vulcan who didn't really have to change, just accommodate the new world.

But I guess, I'm probably completely off. Is Vulcan a show addition?

Archived