Syrio took Meryn's face?

Zirex

I don't know if someone has asked this before, but is it possible that the faceless man who appeared as Syrio Forel took Meryn Trant's face after he killed him? Arya leaves the room the moment Meryn cut Syrio's wooden sword in two, thinking that is the end of her master. As far as I can remember Meryn's armor is not broken or cut afterwards, so that means Syrio didn't pick up any sword from the dead Lannisters. So either Meryn killed him, or Syrio used his ninja assassin tricks to knock him off.

The thing is I don't believe Syrio is just a dancing master, teaching for money, Why would he accept to go to Winterfell just for Arya? There must be tons of rich men in Bravoos searching for the first sword for lessons. If you have realised, the kindly man doesn't teach Arya anything but how to lie and change her face. But what about the assassination skills? Is it coincidence that Arya meets the men who teach her how to fight, use hidden blades, water dancing? Did Arya encountered Jaqen randomly or were the faceless men watching and teaching her all her life?

My point is the Syrio we know is from the house of black and white, and he survived the fight with the actual Meryn. He took Meryn's face afterwards and lives as a Kingsguard even as now. I don't remember Meryn Trant's actions after the fight well, but there must be a reason he is there. I won't believe that prick killed a faceless man.

As I pointed out abve, in the house of black and white, the kindly man hardly shows her how to fight or assassinate or use any skills Jaqen H'gar used during his assassinations and fights in Harrenhal. How could the kindly man be sure that Arya will meet someone who will teach her using the hidden blades?

After Jaqen invites Arya to Bravoos, we initially think that it is because he sees her fighting skills and decides she must be an assassin. But that doesn't make sense, because there are children with master skills in the world. If you remember, Jaqen uses his skinchanging to kill a guy, so that the dog would take the blame. So I think the faceless men searched for Arya, because she is a powerfull warg. Syrio Forel was there to teach the first lessons as a fighter.

Then Jaqen appears (I think it was a coincidence that they met, because Jaqen was going to Castle Black, probably searching for another powerful warg).

And how is it possible that all the faceless men connect with each other? How the hell could Jaqen know Arya's name, past and every damnthing about her? I think they are connecting with each other the same way the starks do as direwolves. Syrio, Jaqen, the kibdly man, all of them send the information to each other in that 'dream' world.

1 hour ago, Zirex said:

The thing is I don't believe Syrio is just a dancing master, teaching for money, Why would he accept to go to Winterfell just for Arya?

He didn't go to Winterfell?  He was in Kings Landing, one of the largest cities in Westeros with a large amount of trade crossing the Narrow Sea.  Seems like a good place for a swordfighting teacher to go to find some rich noble customers.

9 minutes ago, Giantsbanesmember said:

There's definitely something up with the faceless men and Arya but I'm not sure Syrio was part of that

I agree. Why would a faceless man pretend to be a dancing master just for the odd circumstance that Ned would be looking for a sword instructor? Is it really that important that Arya to learn some sword technique from the faceless men?

3 minutes ago, A Song of Ass and Fire said:

He didn't go to Winterfell?  He was in Kings Landing, one of the largest cities in Westeros with a large amount of trade crossing the Narrow Sea.  Seems like a good place for a swordfighting teacher to go to find some rich noble customers.

He agreed to go when Ned decided to send girls back to Winterfell. I mean if he was working as a teacher just for money, why trouble himself going to such a cold and deserted place? It is impossible that he lacked for students with money in Bravoos or other free cities.

2 minutes ago, A Song of Ass and Fire said:

But the plan was to go to winterfell... He says so himself after Arya asks her dad if Syrio can come too...

more interesting is that Syrio came "highly recommended" to Ned... But we don't know by who...

or that he tells a whole story lesson about "seeing what is really there" featuring the Sealords cat, and Syrios ability to identify its gender... But the first thing Syrio says that we hear is to call Arya, "boy"... Oddly this is true of Jaquen as well...

2 minutes ago, tallTale said:

I agree. Why would a faceless man pretend to be a dancing master just for the odd circumstance that Ned would be looking for a sword instructor? Is it really that important that Arya to learn some sword technique from the faceless men?

Well if you are looking for motive it requires a lot deeper of a dig than that...

and if the hypothesis is that Syrio is a faceless man then the logical place to start is asking who hired him and who is he there to kill? Unless of course you have an even deeper theory about the faceless men operating based on their own motives and not contracts... Then that's probably a good place to start

24 minutes ago, tallTale said:

The mere fact that a faceless man would be able to be captured and thrown into the dungeons (unwillingly) is very suspicious. They are best in the world at what they do, the city watch would never be able to apprehend them.

Yeah, I always wondered why would Jaqen put himself into the cell. It is impossible that he somehow figured out that Littklefinger will betray Ned and Joffrey will become a prick and kill Ned and Yoren randomly finds Arya and takes her with him for honor's sake. No, Jaqen was going to either assassinate or manipulate someone.

I think he was going to manipulate Jon for joining them, but after Syrio informs him about Arya and he no longer senses the Ghost at this side of the wall, he simply decides to complete his fellow's task. He impresses the her and gets another task from the Kindly man. As I said they all connect with each other as the stark kids did.

20 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Syrio was thrown into the black cells where he changed into Jaquen... It is known...

Hold on here..

So Meryn Trant let Syrio turn himself in? He just killed two Lannister guards and let Arya get away. That wouldn't happen. Trant would be out for blood.

9 minutes ago, tallTale said:

Hold on here..

So Meryn Trant let Syrio turn himself in? He just killed two Lannister guards and let Arya get away. That wouldn't happen. Trant would be out for blood.

So we don't know what happens after Arya leaves... Just that Cersei bitches later about the pain in the ass dancing instructor... And that Jaquen (a known faceless man) somehow ended up in the black cells... 

I you are asking how I see it then it's sort of irrelevant wether Syrio was captured there by Trant or made his way to the black cells another way...

We know that Yoren had been given sweep of the cells... We know Varys had access and authority over the black cells... And we know that Cersei closed the city.

If Varys is a faceless man it would seem a logical way to help a brother exit the city. Or even without Varys, it was a disguise that would allow a FM to exit the city.

As to why a faceless man might pretend to be Syrio, well it's purely speculation but Ned would seem to be the logical target...

My personal crackpot is that the real Jaqen was just a Lorathi murderer and that the FM took his identity while he was in the Black Cells. I hate Syrio as an FM but that could be how he disappeared. For this to work Syrio would have needed to get away unharmed from his confrontation with Meryn Trant, who was too ashamed that he couldn't apprehend or kill a dancing master that he glossed that over when he reported back to Cersei.

The way the Lorathi was disposed of is why Rorge and Biter are so afraid of the FM in his Jaqen disguise. Nom, nom.

"There were three others, common men, but Lord Stark gave them to the Night’s Watch. I did not think it good to free those three, but the papers were in proper order. I made note of that in a report as well, you may be certain of it.”

Jaime I, AFFC

Jaqen was in the cells before Syrio fought Meryn.  The only way Syrio and Jaqen are one and the same is if Syrio regularly snuck into the cells and out again for, y'know, reasons.  Or if Syrio was put into the cells, killed the real Jaqen to take his identity, then became the Jaqen we know.  Except a great point is made of how ordered the jail records are - how are they going to miss that four men turned into three, and the dead body?

Given George's exasperated responses to "Is Syrio alive?" questions, and the complete lack of any evidence that he's not dead, I'd say it's safe to assume he's gone. 

2 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

My personal crackpot is that the real Jaqen was just a Lorathi murderer and that the FM took his identity while he was in the Black Cells. I hate Syrio as an FM but that could be how he disappeared. For this to work Syrio would have needed to get away unharmed from his confrontation with Meryn Trant, who was too ashamed that he couldn't apprehend or kill a dancing master that he glossed that over when he reported back to Cersei.

The way the Lorathi was disposed of is why Rorge and Biter are so afraid of the FM in his Jaqen disguise. Nom, nom.

Haha ya thinking of wether Jaquen was a real person who was "given the gift" or just a false identity, while pointless I suppose,is kinda funny

1 hour ago, Zirex said:

I don't know if someone has asked this before, but is it possible that the faceless man who appeared as Syrio Forel took Meryn Trant's face after he killed him? Arya leaves the room the moment Meryn cut Syrio's wooden sword in two, thinking that is the end of her master. As far as I can remember Meryn's armor is not broken or cut afterwards, so that means Syrio didn't pick up any sword from the dead Lannisters. So either Meryn killed him, or Syrio used his ninja assassin tricks to knock him off.

The thing is I don't believe Syrio is just a dancing master, teaching for money, Why would he accept to go to Winterfell just for Arya? There must be tons of rich men in Bravoos searching for the first sword for lessons. If you have realised, the kindly man doesn't teach Arya anything but how to lie and change her face. But what about the assassination skills? Is it coincidence that Arya meets the men who teach her how to fight, use hidden blades, water dancing? Did Arya encountered Jaqen randomly or were the faceless men watching and teaching her all her life?

My point is the Syrio we know is from the house of black and white, and he survived the fight with the actual Meryn. He took Meryn's face afterwards and lives as a Kingsguard even as now. I don't remember Meryn Trant's actions after the fight well, but there must be a reason he is there. I won't believe that prick killed a faceless man.

You make a couple of assumptions
1: that syrio came to KL just for Arya. He was already there. Ned did not send to essos for an instructor
2: Ser Meryn is still alive at the end of Dance so that means  a faceless man is just hanging about as a member of the king's guard 
3: Syrio is not a faceless man. He was the First Sword of Bravos. Faceless men have people to kill. We see this with Jaqen. He does his duties and moves on. 

7 minutes ago, FuzzyJAM said:

Jaime I, AFFC

Jaqen was in the cells before Syrio fought Meryn.  The only way Syrio and Jaqen are one and the same is if Syrio regularly snuck into the cells and out again for, y'know, reasons.  Or if Syrio was put into the cells, killed the real Jaqen to take his identity, then became the Jaqen we know.  Except a great point is made of how ordered the jail records are - how are they going to miss that four men turned into three, and the dead body?

Given George's exasperated responses to "Is Syrio alive?" questions, and the complete lack of any evidence that he's not dead, I'd say it's safe to assume he's gone. 

Father asked if there were any knights in the hall who would do honor to their houses by taking the black, but no one came forward, so he gave this Yoren his pick of the king's dungeons and sent him on his way. And later these two brothers came before him, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, and pledged their swords to the service of the king. Father accepted their oaths …"

Ned just gave Yoren pick of the dungeons... There is no evidence of how many people were in the black cells at this point

and using George's reaction is silly, might he be mad that people caught on so quick?

anyway maybe it's just me but I prefer to stick to the text

Archived