Best father in series?

dariopatke

Who is the best father in series? After some thinking I cant pick one who is really good. Ned forced Jon to NW to please Cat and he let her to treat him like a monster, Mace waswilling to marry Marge to a monster in order for her to become a queen, Jeor did leave Jorah lordship but he should have stayed longer there to teach him what it means to rule, maybe all Lynesse thing would go differently.

If you are bored, write who is best mother, too. I believe I will go with Cat here.

6 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

Who is the best father in series? After some thinking I cant pick one who is really good. Ned forced Jon to NW to please Cat and he let her to treat him like a monster, Mace waswilling to marry Marge to a monster in order for her to become a queen, Jeor did leave Jorah lordship but he should have stayed longer there to teach him what it means to rule, maybe all Lynesse thing would go differently.

If you are bored, write who is best mother, too. I believe I will go with Cat here.

I thought Jon was volunteering to the wall. Ned never forced him. 

Plus it is a honorable thing to join the wall. Benjen did it too. 

Honestly there are not many good fathers in the book.

I guess Ned is the best father. 

Then you have, maybe, Joncon? 

6 minutes ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

Randyll Tarly, or at least he is the most underrated father. I've never seen Sam as a decent person and I always thought everyone that wanted Randyll to put up with Sam's shit is akin to people wanting a father today to allow his son to sit on his ass all day playing video games.

Sam definitely gets annoying, at least in my opinion, but I don't think that makes Randyll a good father by default. 

We're talking about a man that regularly abused his son and then threatened to kill him unless he took the black. Sam grew up to be a complete coward whose self-esteem was lower than dirt. It's only when he befriends Jon that he begins to develop a sense of self. Sam still has a long way to go but clearly Randyll's parenting technique wasn't working. 

14 minutes ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

Randyll Tarly, or at least he is the most underrated father. I've never seen Sam as a decent person and I always thought everyone that wanted Randyll to put up with Sam's shit is akin to people wanting a father today to allow his son to sit on his ass all day playing video games.

Totally! He threatened to murder his son in the woods, too! Where's Randyll's Father of the Year award, I wonder? 

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

Varys is the best dad. Second is the trader that took Theon to Pyke 

JonCon. He does seem to at least care for his "son's" well being. He is really one of the only people who's parenting has been a focus though, so it's hard to really compare..

Davos I could get behind, Ned as well.

What about Walder Frey, I mean, all things considered. Kevin Lannister?

Ned did whatever he could to protect his children, and unlike Mace he also didn't seem like to be a person who would sell his kid to get a higher position

Also, Cat was cold but she was never hostile to Jon save for the Bran's accident. To say that she treated Jon like a monster is a bit too much i think

Selwyn Tarth, Brienne's father.

He kept singers, allowing Brienne to learn many songs. He tried many times to find her a suitable husband. He let her learn to be a good fighter when he realized that is all she really wanted to do. He allowed her to go out into the world to seek her fortune. He offered a reward when he heard she had been kidnapped.

5 hours ago, Sparklehorse said:

Davos Seaworth gets my vote. For mother? Maege Mormont and Ellaria Sand.

I think Davos is a great character but he is hardly a great father or husband. He quite clearly has put Stannis above his wife and two of his remaining three children back in the Stormlands who have been left vulnerable amongst their enemies.

There are not many good parents in those books. Most parents we meet are nobles, and they see their children mostly as tools rather than as real people. This extends even to the Starks, but of course Tywin is especially good at that twisted thing...

Davos certainly is a very bad father (and husband), especially to his three surviving sons back home who he scarcely remembers. Considering that he was a smuggler and later a knight in Stannis' service he wouldn't even have been a good father to his other sons who most likely were raised by Marya alone while Davos was at sea and/or with Stannis.

9 hours ago, dariopatke said:

No, he didn't. Jon chose to go to the Nights Watch himself. Ned was unsure, Cat said he could not stay in her home. She never once told Ned to send him to the Watch. If Ned was so desperate not to give Jon what he wanted, he had plenty of bannermen who would have taken him in.

Archived