What is the second most likely theory of Jon's parentage?

Most people have a favorite theory for who Jon Snow's parents are.  We talk about and defend our favorites all the time, and we know which camp most of us fall into.

But what is your SECOND favorite theory?  If your favorite isn't true, what do you think is the most likely alternative?

My second favorite is Benjen and Lyanna.

The thread title asks a different question than the OP... perhaps the word "likely" is mistakenly used meaning "prefered"?

Anyway, I would have liked a main hero to be a bastard of (partly) humble origin. But as early as AGOT, it is evident that it's not likely at all. I do not believe there's a chance for any of the proposed alternatives, R+L is the only viable option.

9 minutes ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

The thread title asks a different question than the OP... perhaps the word "likely" is mistakenly used meaning "prefered"?

Anyway, I would have liked a main hero to be a bastard of (partly) humble origin. But as early as AGOT, it is evident that it's not likely at all. I do not believe there's a chance for any of the proposed alternatives, R+L is the only viable option.

Do you believe that Jon isn't a bastard?

5 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

Do you believe that Jon isn't a bastard?

Oh no, that was not what I meant... I wanted to say that I would have liked the option Ned + a common girl, that kind of bastard, instead of the "great bastard" kind.

I'm more inclined to believe that, in regards to the technical part of his parents' marriage he is something in-between, there might have been an informal ceremony but not much really to give it legal acknowledgement.

I'm 99.99% sure that R + L = J is true but if not I think Aerys as the father is the only alternative that George might just about be able to pull off. He'd have to explain how was Aerys able to to impregnate her at the right time (e.g. she was hidden in the Red Keep for the first part of the Rebellion) but it's technically doable. 

Arthur + Lyana would be my preference, but I don't see it in any way a viable option. Too many plot holes to be filled. 

Edit: @Hand of the Kingslayer made me realise the errors of my way. I no longer believe in R+L=J and am 100% sure that Jon Jesus-Ahai is the product of immaculate conception. I am glad to finally see the light and have the answer to all my questions. 

Sadly I believe rlj is near certainty. My favorite alternate theory is Ned and a fishwife, just because it would keep Ned as Jon's biological father. Sadly, this can't be true, as Ned would have no reason to hide Jon's mother's identity. Another is Lyanna and a sexy Dornish goatherd lol. This would explain why Ned lied about Jon's parentage (the shame of it!) and it would also explain Jon's Dornish appearance.

1 minute ago, kimim said:

Sadly I believe rlj is near certainty. My favorite alternate theory is Ned and a fishwife, just because it would keep Ned as Jon's biological father. Sadly, this can't be true, as Ned would have no reason to hide Jon's mother's identity. Another is Lyanna and a sexy Dornish goatherd lol. This would explain why Ned lied about Jon's parentage (the shame of it!) and it would also explain Jon's Dornish appearance.

What dornish appearance? He looks all Stark, that's the thing.

1 hour ago, A Song of Ass and Fire said:

Most people have a favorite theory for who Jon Snow's parents are.  We talk about and defend our favorites all the time, and we know which camp most of us fall into.

But what is your SECOND favorite theory?  If your favorite isn't true, what do you think is the most likely alternative?

My second favorite is Benjen and Lyanna.

If it isn't Rhaegar and Lyanna it is Ned and the wet nurse. 

55 minutes ago, Unbent_Unbroken said:

Ned and Ashara is the next best option. Ned would have no reason to lie if Jon really was his and some random commoner and Jon is too young to be Brandon's, unless you do some real stretching. 

I could see Ned lying to protect a random commoner.

Let's say the commoner is married, and Ned knew this.  Her husband was away at war, but everybody in their village has heard that that she gave Ned a ride in her boat or tended his wounds, or something of the like.  Husband died while he was away, and the famous honor of Ned makes the rumor that he is actually the father very unlikely to most people.  To protect this honor of this woman that Ned liked enough to have sex with, he agrees to come back and take the babe away when it's born, and she will tell her family that it was stillborn.

Ned can't say "Yes, I banged a fishwife down in the Crownlands, and Jon is mine" because it would get back to her family, and she would face dishonor and possible violence from her husband's family - everybody would figure out which fishwife it was because they all knew she spent time with Ned.  But he couldn't leave the babe with her to raise as her husbands, because it might come out with the Stark look and people would question whether Ned was really that honorable, and the child could face a much worse life as a common bastard as opposed to one living in a castle.

Archived