Will we get an unJon POV?

Daendrew

Do you think we will continue to get Jon POV's after he is resurrected? GRRM doesn't like to give us POV's that know too much. Melissandre may be our eyes at the Wall.

What do you think?

It echos one of the most poignant passages in the series when Aemon was dying:

For all these years I've lingered, waiting, watching, and now that the day has dawned I am too old. I am dying, Sam." Tears ran from his blind white eyes at that admission. "Death should hold no fear for a man as old as me, but it does. Isn't that silly? It is always dark where I am, so why should I fear the darkness? Yet I cannot help but wonder what will follow, when the last warmth leaves my body. Will I feast forever in the Father's golden hall as the septons say? Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children? What if the horselords have the truth of it? Will I ride through the night sky forever on a stallion made of flame? Or must I return again to this vale of sorrow? Who can say, truly? Who has been beyond the wall of death to see? Only the wights, and we know what they are like. We know."
-A Feast for Crows - Samwell IV

But we really don't know what they are like. We don't. 

My guess is that the first POV chapter we will get at the Wall in Winds is Melisandre - I think that is why she was established as a POV character in Dance. That said, I think we will also subsequently get Ghost and Jon POV chapters. 

18 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

Do you think we will continue to get Jon POV's after he is resurrected? GRRM doesn't like to give us POV's that know too much. Melissandre may be our eyes at the Wall.

What do you think?

After he is resurrected, no, but I think we might get POV like Bran's before he wakes up after the fall.

11 minutes ago, dornishdame said:

My guess is that the first POV chapter we will get at the Wall in Winds is Melisandre - I think that is why she was established as a POV character in Dance. That said, I think we will also subsequently get Ghost and Jon POV chapters. 

I would love a Ghost chapter. The Summer one was great.

I don't see why unJon can't get a chapter, really. The thing about not revealing too much.. he HAS to start revealing something, we're running out of runway. That being said, I could see not having any more Jon pov's be a sort of literary death, even if not a final literal one. I think a Ghost pov would be cool, myself..

He said we would go farther into the Land of Always Winter than we have before in the new book.

An UnJon or UnBenjen POV could accomplish that.

An "Other" POV would be a great tool to de-otherize them and find out who they are and what they want. Especially since their speech has been indecipherable to men.

Someone flying on/as an ice dragon could also get us there.

Cat ceased to be a POV character after she was resurrected, and I think the same would be true for Jon. I don't think Jon is truly dead, and warging into Ghost may be what saved him. I think he will continue as a POV character.

4 hours ago, Daendrew said:

What do you think?

First, we know exactly what the wights are like, and Jon will be Jon. Mel's magic is much more powerful at the wall 

A continued POV hinges on whether Jon is really dead or not.  And I would really like to see Jon in Ghost for an entire chapter.  If he's only comatose or badly wounded then sure, we will get more Jon.   If he has to be resurrected I am less hopeful for a Jon POV and am bracing to only get in his head when he is in Ghost.   The point about LSH not having a POV sort of sets the standard here. 

I think a very GRRM approach will be NOT to have ANY Jon POV chapters in the book. Jon is somehow alive and is leading the Night's Watch. We see this all from other perspectives. Then, at the very end of the book, we get a Ghost chapter. Jon warged into Ghost when he died. So if Jon had warged into Ghost and has been in Ghost this whole time... then who is in Jon Snow? Find out, in A Time For Wolves 2032.

11 hours ago, CruzaderJC said:

I think a very GRRM approach will be NOT to have ANY Jon POV chapters in the book. Jon is somehow alive and is leading the Night's Watch. We see this all from other perspectives. Then, at the very end of the book, we get a Ghost chapter. Jon warged into Ghost when he died. So if Jon had warged into Ghost and has been in Ghost this whole time... then who is in Jon Snow? Find out, in A Time For Wolves 2032.

That's actually a clever twist.  Very very spooky. 

16 hours ago, Daendrew said:

I would love a Ghost chapter. The Summer one was great.

Absolutely agree with you regarding Summer - I know a couple of people who don't like reading an entire chapter through the eyes of a direwolf, but I think you learn so much about the connection between Bran and Summer - and it is interesting to see how much Bran the boy can sense and feel, and how much he remembers after.  I also think that a Ghost chapter would be an interesting point of comparison, as Jon is much less attuned to his connection with Ghost and a less accomplished warg than Bran.  

I can't imagine no more Jon chapters for the rest of the series, the difficulty in writing a Jon who was dead and is now resurrected is one of the key reasons I've always believed he would not be dead, but only comatose....but recent events strongly suggest that may turn out to be a wrong prediction.

I believe the story needs Jon POV. I don't think he will be undead. Undead is much like dead to me. Maybe we will have some short passage with Ghost's perspective. Maybe when Jon awakes. But it would not be Ghost, just Jon with Ghost's eyes, with Ghost limited mind.

I hope Jon will not be too much different, too much knowing, that we could not have his POV anymore.

33 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I believe the story needs Jon POV. I don't think he will be undead. Undead is much like dead to me. Maybe we will have some short passage with Ghost's perspective. Maybe when Jon awakes. But it would not be Ghost, just Jon with Ghost's eyes, with Ghost limited mind.

I hope Jon will not be too much different, too much knowing, that we could not have his POV anymore.

Yeah, I read that hit someone in the right spot in the back and they'll go into a coma. I think Jon isn't dead just near-death and comatose much like Bran was in AGoT.

I think we may see Jon's POV through Ghost, especially if BranRaven visits him and shows him visions as well as revive him.  

Yeah, I definitely think he'll get chapters.  He'll be too important to the endgame not to IMO.  Plus Jon still has to find out his parentage, and I'd be shocked if we got a second hand reaction of that.

Wouldn't be surprised if we got a Ghost POV, honestly.

Archived