About the look of Lyanna Stark

purple-eyes

I think that Jon is more likely to have a very dark hair and very light skin like female version of Snow While, lol.

Starks are said to have somehow typical look for a people who lived very long and rather isolated in one of the most northern parts of Westeros if we go by real world they would have likely a very pale skin and there is nothing in the books which suggest otherwise.

Targs are actually more likely to have darker skin but for example Daenerys is said to look like Naerys who was very pale so they are probably pale skinned too, though IIRC Egg was able to get tan, but than again he had a Dornish mother.

13 minutes ago, Ice Turtle said:

Targs are actually more likely to have darker skin but for example Daenerys is said to look like Naerys who was very pale so they are probably pale skinned too, though IIRC Egg was able to get tan, but than again he had a Dornish mother.

Dany is also said to get as dark as Dothraki at some point, so both she and Egg tan easily.

People have more than 5 skin tones, there is nothing surprising that Robb could be lighter than Jon or Dany looks like Naerys without being her clone. (btw, I really don't like that artists give all Targs except for Breakspear and Rhaenys the very same super pale skin tone. Would it hurt if some were slightly less "fair" than others?)

Worth noting since a lot seem to be taking it for granted, but even the images in the World Book aren't strictly canon. Sure GRRM may approve them, but they are still just artist impressions, subject to the artists own perceptions etc. Etc.

In regards to the comparison Bran makes between Robb and Jon I always took the fair vs dark to be about hair and eyes etc. 

I always thought that auburn could be dark or like and just assumed Robb had lighter auburn hair. And that when Bran mentioned Jon was dark that it meant that his hair was dark and his eyes were that grey/almost black. Like when people say "tall, dark and handsome" I take it to mean generally, though not necessarily: caucasian who is tall with dark hair and eyes; possible tanned, but not necessarily; possibly alluding to personality too - brooding, mysterious etc. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what I took from what Bran said was that general features of hair eyes (possibly personality or temperament too) were darker than Robbs.

So Lyanna's look (and Arya's) would be dark hair, grey eyes fair skin. Maybe Lyanna tanned when she was in the South but I don't think Jon has had much of a chance to in the North. 

That's what I took from it anyway. 

4 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Svelte, then?

The biased pov of the WB describes her as "boyish", and I would assume all that time practicing with a lance, riding horses, and playing with training swords and sticks, would build some kind of athletic ability and muscle.

Honestly though, Theon was 4 years old when Lyanna died, and he didn't come to Winterfell for another 6 years after she was dead and buried. Any knowledge of how she'd looked would be based upon what the stone carver who did her grave, and that's assuming the best. So, considering that Theon never saw her in real life, I really wouldn't trust a dream of his to give a reliable impression of what she really was--but instead what he thinks she was like--but that's me.

You mean theon did not see lyanna he only created an impression of lyanna based on what he saw and knew in winterfell by himself? 

In real life, sure. In GRRM's book, no. I think He saw lyanna. 

And, yes, it is strange that theon did not say she was beautiful. She was supposed to be very pretty. And everybody in winterfell said she was pretty. So no matter theon dreamed by himself or he really saw lyanna by magic, he should have thought she was beautiful. 

2 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

You mean theon did not see lyanna he only created an impression of lyanna based on what he saw and knew in winterfell by himself? 

In real life, sure. In GRRM's book, no. I think He saw lyanna. 

And, yes, it is strange that theon did not say she was beautiful. She was supposed to be very pretty. And everybody in winterfell said she was pretty. So no matter theon dreamed by himself or he really saw lyanna by magic, he should have thought she was beautiful. 

There is no chance Theon ever saw Lyanna.  He would have been 3 when she died, and Ironborn don't show up to tournys.  The closest he could come was seeing her statue.

Edited for spelling

17 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

There is no chance Theon ever saw Lyanna.  He would have been 3 when she died, and Ironborn don't show up to tournys.  The closest he could come was seeing her statue.

Edited for spelling

yes, that is why I feel Theon indeed magically "saw" Lyanna in his dream, not something he created in his head based on his knowledge about Lyanna.

I don't think there's anything strange in Theon not thinking of Lyanna as beautiful. In his dream, she was just so wrapped in tragedy that there was little place for focusing on other details.

I too took the reference to Jon being Dark where Robb is Fair as a general observation of "type" Dark hair, dark eyes, brooding personality, I never took it for a moment as meaning skin tone. But I see the argument being made. And it's a fair point. But nope, us northerners tend to the skin so pale you can see our veins. 

Olive is Mediterranean. 

Yes the Targaryens are invariably depicted with super white skin and they really shouldn't have skin like that, one they have a ton of Martell blood, and obviously yes the Martells are olive skinned. But two Valyria itself geographically is a place which should have produced olive skinned people. 

Can 14yr old girls have massive boobs. Purple-Eyes I assure you they most certainly can. I am a 30K and at 14 was a 28F I have spent my whole life having everyone comment on them, but I am most certainly not some weird freak. I know a huge amount of women who also had really big boobs at that age. Hell I'd say my neighbours 13 yr old daughter is about a E cup. of course cup size is entirely relative to band size. But I'm pretty good at assessing these things by eye. 

I think we can safely say Lyanna was slim and didn't have huge breasts though, no one ever mentions her bust, and we know Sansa gets her large bust from her mum, and that Arya at almost 12 has very little at all in the way of breasts but that she is very like Lyanna looks wise. And she is described as "Boyish" in the world book, boyish is code for no tits n arse. So I'd say slender, and not curvy. I'd say she has the long face we hear so much about, and the dark grey eyes, and dark brown hair. I think skin tone she likely was pale, because as I said us northerners tend to be. And as the Starks were of the North for centuries and we don't see any Dornish brides in their family tree that they will invariably be very pale. 

We know she was attractive because we are told she was, and whilst Theon doesn't comment on it, Kevan admits she was, even if he likens her to a torch being outshined by Cersei's sun. He's still admitting her looks. Secondly we take Arya as example, she is told she is ugly by Jeyne & Sansa. But those comments are more about how she dresses, and that she never brushes her hair ect. And later on as she enters puberty, we see several characters comment on her being pretty, Certainly in Mercy it would seem she is shaping up to be a beautiful young woman, the face she was given is "as pretty as your own" so Mercy is on a par with Arya and Mercy gets a fair amount of attention. 

Lastly look at Jon himself, Jon is good looking, other men comment on him being pretty and girls seem to be keen too, Ygritte, Alys, Mellisandre. All tell us he's good looking, and we know he looks like a Stark, ergo he looks like his mother; and he is attractive. We know Ned is homely ie: plain looking so he doesn't get this from the male stark genes she gave him obviously it could be the Rhaegar in him that makes the ladies swoon. It is interesting that Aemon is blind and Barristan never see's Jon, Jaime how ether does not seem to see any tell tale resemblances, though I often wonder if those eyes so dark they seem black might actually be purple. Egg's eyes are described the same. 

Anyway yes, slim, straight up and down body type but well toned, with dark hair and eyes. And pretty. 

1 hour ago, Anath said:

I don't think there's anything strange in Theon not thinking of Lyanna as beautiful. In his dream, she was just so wrapped in tragedy that there was little place for focusing on other details.

Where is tragedy in his dream?

If he can see she is sad and slim with blue roses on her head, I think he can notice her beauty.

Especially this is theon we are talking about.

9 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Lastly look at Jon himself, Jon is good looking, other men comment on him being pretty and girls seem to be keen too, Ygritte, Alys, Mellisandre. All tell us he's good looking, and we know he looks like a Stark, ergo he looks like his mother; and he is attractive. We know Ned is homely ie: plain looking so he doesn't get this from the male stark genes she gave him obviously it could be the Rhaegar in him that makes the ladies swoon. It is interesting that Aemon is blind and Barristan never see's Jon, Jaime how ether does not seem to see any tell tale resemblances, though I often wonder if those eyes so dark they seem black might actually be purple. Egg's eyes are described the same. 

To be fair, Brandon is supposed to be very handsome and attractive. Ned is plain, but that is him, not all the stark.  

And I have not seen that Jon was mentioned as good looking. Sure, he maybe likely be handsome, but GRRM did not say that yet. And there are some girls who like him, does not mean he is good looking. For example, I do not think Melisandre was into his pretty face.

22 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I too took the reference to Jon being Dark where Robb is Fair as a general observation of "type" Dark hair, dark eyes, brooding personality, I never took it for a moment as meaning skin tone. But I see the argument being made. And it's a fair point. But nope, us northerners tend to the skin so pale you can see our veins. 

Olive is Mediterranean. 

Yes the Targaryens are invariably depicted with super white skin and they really shouldn't have skin like that, one they have a ton of Martell blood, and obviously yes the Martells are olive skinned. But two Valyria itself geographically is a place which should have produced olive skinned people. 

Can 14yr old girls have massive boobs. Purple-Eyes I assure you they most certainly can. I am a 30K and at 14 was a 28F I have spent my whole life having everyone comment on them, but I am most certainly not some weird freak. I know a huge amount of women who also had really big boobs at that age. Hell I'd say my neighbours 13 yr old daughter is about a E cup. of course cup size is entirely relative to band size. But I'm pretty good at assessing these things by eye. 

I think we can safely say Lyanna was slim and didn't have huge breasts though, no one ever mentions her bust, and we know Sansa gets her large bust from her mum, and that Arya at almost 12 has very little at all in the way of breasts but that she is very like Lyanna looks wise. And she is described as "Boyish" in the world book, boyish is code for no tits n arse. So I'd say slender, and not curvy. I'd say she has the long face we hear so much about, and the dark grey eyes, and dark brown hair. I think skin tone she likely was pale, because as I said us northerners tend to be. And as the Starks were of the North for centuries and we don't see any Dornish brides in their family tree that they will invariably be very pale. 

We know she was attractive because we are told she was, and whilst Theon doesn't comment on it, Kevan admits she was, even if he likens her to a torch being outshined by Cersei's sun. He's still admitting her looks. Secondly we take Arya as example, she is told she is ugly by Jeyne & Sansa. But those comments are more about how she dresses, and that she never brushes her hair ect. And later on as she enters puberty, we see several characters comment on her being pretty, Certainly in Mercy it would seem she is shaping up to be a beautiful young woman, the face she was given is "as pretty as your own" so Mercy is on a par with Arya and Mercy gets a fair amount of attention. 

Anyway yes, slim, straight up and down body type but well toned, with dark hair and eyes. And pretty. 

And Jon's eyes is deep grey, and so dark that it looks black.

I think what we got before from Egg or Darkstar or little Ned is that their eyes are so blue or so purple, that they almost look black.

i think this does not mean Jon's eyes can be purple-black. They are grey-black.

Just now, purple-eyes said:

To be fair, Brandon is supposed to be very handsome and attractive. Ned is plain, but that is him, not all the stark.  

And I have not seen that Jon was mentioned as good looking. Sure, he maybe likely be handsome, but GRRM did not say that yet. And there are some girls who like him, does not mean he is good looking. For example, I do not think Melisandre was into his pretty face.

Ah, yes I forgot Brandon was meant to be dashing, and it's just that Ned got the shit end of the stick genes wise. 

I base my assumption that Jon is a good looking guy on the way those around him respond to him. We read Jon's story through only his and Sams POV's and neither of them is going around talking about how good looking Jon is. To have Jon talk about his own looks would make his character seem like a dickhead. And Sam has no reason to give us an assessment of Jon's appearance. His POV is introduced later on in the story and just plonking a description of Jon in would seem weird. But if we pay attention we find that several of the men at Castle Black refer to Jon as pretty, and though they are usually saying it in a manor which is tied into belittling him, the fact it is said more than once indicates the author is saying that he is in deed a good looking guy.  

When he meets Ygritte she is instantly into him, I mean she is straight away trying to get into his pants. and she comments on his good looks, his pretty face. She's willing to risk being called a traitor to get into his pants. And eventually manipulates the situation so she can get some. 

Alys flirts with Jon and refers to when she met him and Robb some years earlier, that her father had a view to betroth her to the Young Heir to WF, but that she would have much rather have been asked to dance with the bastard. Meaning that she felt for all Robb came with social standing, and elevation of her status, his own castle, and lands... that the Dark brooding looking landless nameless lad sat in the corner appealed to her much more. 

Mellisandre fancies him. 

She see's him in her flames but is in denial about how important he may be, as it goes against her previous assertions that Stannis is AAR. But she wants him sexually. 

1 minute ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Ah, yes I forgot Brandon was meant to be dashing, and it's just that Ned got the shit end of the stick genes wise. 

I base my assumption that Jon is a good looking guy on the way those around him respond to him. We read Jon's story through only his and Sams POV's and neither of them is going around talking about how good looking Jon is. To have Jon talk about his own looks would make his character seem like a dickhead. And Sam has no reason to give us an assessment of Jon's appearance. His POV is introduced later on in the story and just plonking a description of Jon in would seem weird. But if we pay attention we find that several of the men at Castle Black refer to Jon as pretty, and though they are usually saying it in a manor which is tied into belittling him, the fact it is said more than once indicates the author is saying that he is in deed a good looking guy.  

When he meets Ygritte she is instantly into him, I mean she is straight away trying to get into his pants. and she comments on his good looks, his pretty face. She's willing to risk being called a traitor to get into his pants. And eventually manipulates the situation so she can get some. 

Alys flirts with Jon and refers to when she met him and Robb some years earlier, that her father had a view to betroth her to the Young Heir to WF, but that she would have much rather have been asked to dance with the bastard. Meaning that she felt for all Robb came with social standing, and elevation of her status, his own castle, and lands... that the Dark brooding looking landless nameless lad sat in the corner appealed to her much more. 

Mellisandre fancies him. 

She see's him in her flames but is in denial about how important he may be, as it goes against her previous assertions that Stannis is AAR. But she wants him sexually. 

Firstly Jon is young and he is a good fighter, and he had a good body shape, lean and graceful. later he became the ruler of the watch.

All of these can be attractive without a pretty face to women.

Ygritte is horny but like I said, Jon can catch her eyes by several things I mentioned and also wildling woman like to be conquered by man's power. He is also a very new thing to her. Everybody wanted to try something different and new.

Robb already was mentioned in the book as handsome while Jon was not. So Alys was not attacted by pretty face when she truned to Jon.

melisandre has too many complicated things going on, so I do not know what is her real intention. Last time she had sex with Stannis and she birthed shadow babies to kill somebody, so .........

So what he's ugly?

Nah, not buying it, he has something. Ygritte being a wildling means nothing. We are told in the story that the whole "stealing" thing is BS. Tormunds daughter was subject to an attempted "stealing" and her brothers broke his arm and sent him packing. The idea that a Wildling woman is compelled to be with a man simply because he was strong enough to take her is wrong.  Later Tormunds daughter is "stolen" by a lad named longspear. And he laughs and says with a name like that no wonder she never called for her brothers. Basically she chose the man she wanted to be stolen by. And Ygritte was attracted to Jon so told him he stole her and so she was now his. 

Yeah he's fit, exactly. ;) lol, but we are also told he is pretty more than once. So if you have men say things like watch out or you won't have that pretty face much longer ect. or comment that the scar won't effect him, he's too pretty anyway and this will give his face some edge ect we are being told he is good looking. 

We are never told Jon is not handsome, we are told Robb is. But no one says Jon isn't just that he looks like a Stark where Robb is all Tully. Catelyn is jealous that her son doesn't resemble the Starks. Bran says Jon is dark. and Robb fair. non say Jon is not good looking. 

Alys is flirting with him, so I'd say she fancies him. Like I've said to you before text book good looks are not always what someone is attracted to, and what one person perceives as good looking is not the same as someone else's idea. 

Mel has no need of shadow monsters, who is she hoping to send one to? she contemplates the strength of those she could make with Jon's seed. But basically she just wants to fuck him. 

ETA: I don't know about you, but as a woman I know with some men a mere whiff of them can get you wet and there looks don't really come into it. I can think of at least one man I've always desired who is frankly as far from classically good looking as you can get yet to me he's divine. 

This is the most hopeless thread, ever. We don't know exactly what Jon looks like. 

He does not have blonde or red hair. He does not have green or hazel eyes. He is not tall. He is not fat. He is probably occasionally clean shaven, as there are references to his carrying a razor along. He has the "long" face of the Starks, and that is so general that it's not funny. This "long" face makes Arya look "horsey," and makes Lyanna, who resembles Arya, beautiful. As to how gorgeous Jon is: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So it's totally up to the reader to determine what he looks like, what Arya looks like, and what Lyanna looks like. I think Lyanna looks a bit like this:

Turkish actress!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, kimim said:

This is the most hopeless thread, ever. We don't know exactly what Jon looks like. 

He does not have blonde or red hair. He does not have green or hazel eyes. He is not tall. He is not fat. He is probably occasionally clean shaven, as there are references to his carrying a razor along. He has the "long" face of the Starks, and that is so general that it's not funny. This "long" face makes Arya look "horsey," and makes Lyanna, who resembles Arya, beautiful. As to how gorgeous Jon is: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So it's totally up to the reader to determine what he looks like, what Arya looks like, and what Lyanna looks like. I think Lyanna looks a bit like this:

Turkish actress!!!!!!

This looks like an asian.

Are you sure this is not from Yi Ti?

21 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

So what he's ugly?

Nah, not buying it, he has something. Ygritte being a wildling means nothing. We are told in the story that the whole "stealing" thing is BS. Tormunds daughter was subject to an attempted "stealing" and her brothers broke his arm and sent him packing. The idea that a Wildling woman is compelled to be with a man simply because he was strong enough to take her is wrong.  Later Tormunds daughter is "stolen" by a lad named longspear. And he laughs and says with a name like that no wonder she never called for her brothers. Basically she chose the man she wanted to be stolen by. And Ygritte was attracted to Jon so told him he stole her and so she was now his. 

Yeah he's fit, exactly. ;) lol, but we are also told he is pretty more than once. So if you have men say things like watch out or you won't have that pretty face much longer ect. or comment that the scar won't effect him, he's too pretty anyway and this will give his face some edge ect we are being told he is good looking. 

We are never told Jon is not handsome, we are told Robb is. But no one says Jon isn't just that he looks like a Stark where Robb is all Tully. Catelyn is jealous that her son doesn't resemble the Starks. Bran says Jon is dark. and Robb fair. non say Jon is not good looking. 

Alys is flirting with him, so I'd say she fancies him. Like I've said to you before text book good looks are not always what someone is attracted to, and what one person perceives as good looking is not the same as someone else's idea. 

Mel has no need of shadow monsters, who is she hoping to send one to? she contemplates the strength of those she could make with Jon's seed. But basically she just wants to fuck him. 

ETA: I don't know about you, but as a woman I know with some men a mere whiff of them can get you wet and there looks don't really come into it. I can think of at least one man I've always desired who is frankly as far from classically good looking as you can get yet to me he's divine. 

he is not handsome, but this does not mean he is ugly, he can just be as plain as Ned.

Before GRRM told us he is handsome or beautiful, I am going to think he is just a regular-looking guy.

Those scar and pretty face stuff is not a proof that he is pretty, any face with deep scars is of course ugly, so this is a big contrast. they used this as a strong threat and some sarcasm, not to acknwlege his beauty. like somebody say: hey, you'd better obey me, if you still want to keep your pretty nose intact. he is not apprasing his beautiful nose, he is treathening to break his nose. This is just a way to strengthen his threat.

19 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

This looks like an asian.

Are you sure this is not from Yi Ti?

This is what I mean. It's totally subjective, which is why trying to figure it out is hopeless. She fulfills the requirements for me, anyway: greyish eyes, dark hair, longish face, relatively attractive. That Rhaegar falls for Lyanna doesn't mean that she has to be the most beautiful woman on earth. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Archived