Stannis' horses

dariopatke

His man are hungry and he has 60-ish horses, in siege or battle they wont be much useful since Boltons have at least a thousand horses. He clearly has a plan to put them to a good use and what do you thing that plan is? Send Theon and 60 good men to Dreatfort to sneak into and take it? Go to Barrowton and burn it to the ground (castle is made of wood)? Send someone to the Wall for some reason?

Additionaly, what will he do with 450 Karstark men and which house will be on Stannis' and which one on Roose's side when battle begins?

22 hours ago, dariopatke said:

His man are hungry and he has 60-ish horses, in siege or battle they wont be much useful since Boltons have at least a thousand horses. He clearly has a plan to put them to a good use and what do you thing that plan is? Send Theon and 60 good men to Dreatfort to sneak into and take it? Go to Barrowton and burn it to the ground (castle is made of wood)? Send someone to the Wall for some reason?

Additionaly, what will he do with 450 Karstark men and which house will be on Stannis' and which one on Roose's side when battle begins?

There is a long essay on someone’s blog, I don’t remember who’s, saying perhaps part of Stannis’ plan is to try to have the Dreadfort taken. I don’t see Theon taking part of it though, due to his health.

You do raise an interesting question about Karstark’s men. Asha, in the Sacrifice chapter, says Karstark had been at Stannis’ camp for eight days past and that he brought his son, three grandsons, 400 spears, two score archers, a dozen mounted lances, a master, a cage or ravens… but only enough provisions to sustain his own.

Spoiler

Due to the released Theon chapter I know Stannis knows that Karstark is a backstabber/turncloak.

So, yea, what is Stannis going to do with Karstark’s men? I’m not much on battle plans but I don’t think if I were Stannis I would trust that Karstark’s men would fight for me.

There is a long essay on someone’s blog, I don’t remember who’s, saying perhaps part of Stannis’ plan is to try to have the Dreadfort taken. I don’t see Theon taking part of it though, due to his health.

You do raise an interesting question about Karstark’s men. Asha, in the Sacrifice chapter, says Karstark had been at Stannis’ camp for eight days past and that he brought his son, three grandsons, 400 spears, two score archers, a dozen mounted lances, a master, a cage or ravens… but only enough provisions to sustain his own.

Spoiler Due to the released Theon chapter I know Stannis knows that Karstark is a backstabber/turncloak.

So, yea, what is Stannis going to do with Karstark’s men? I’m not much on battle plans but I don’t think if I were Stannis I would trust that Karstark’s men would fight for me.

Good thing is that if you eclude cavalry you have mainly smallfolk and they can be persuaded/bought, tell them as gratitude for their service each one or his family if he dies will receive like 10 golden dragons, lances should be imprisoned or killed and horses given to Stannis' men. But even then you cant be sure they are yours and yet you need them badly.

And while I am at it, the banker with his NW guides went to Deepwood. Ransomed some Ironborn. Traveled to WF expecting to find Stannis. Picked up Theon & Jeyne from Umber and then ended up at the crofter’s village. Sketchy verra sketchy.

I'm not sure why you think he clearly has a plan for them, given he doesn't mention them and isn't using them, unlike the ice lakes, beacon tower, and ravens. If anything he'd be keeping them in reserve as either emergency food, or for future use as heavy cavalry (when heavy cavalry can actually be deployed). Currently they can barely move through the blizzard, there aren't enough to be very useful even if they could, and the lighter clansmen riders are better suited as scouts anyway.

Not sure what he'll do with the Karstark men. Maybe steal their outfits and have his own northmen infiltrate Winterfell. 

Btw this wouldn't be the first time he's absorbed a group of lordless men. I think there are like two named lords in his army of 5000+ at the moment.

21 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

I'm not sure why you think he clearly has a plan for them, given he doesn't mention them and isn't using them, unlike the ice lakes, beacon tower, and ravens. If anything he'd be keeping them in reserve as either emergency food, or for future use as heavy cavalry (when heavy cavalry can actually be deployed). Currently they can barely move through the blizzard, there aren't enough to be very useful even if they could, and the lighter clansmen riders are better suited as scouts anyway.

I agree. The only use i can see Stannis might have for the horses is somehow using them to lure the Freys into the lake.

On 31/01/2016 at 9:14 PM, Artos Cold said:

It's not going well, is it?

6021ba48142662824261963369_700wa_0.gif

;)

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

And things aren't looking very shine for Bolton either, btw.

[emoji6]

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

And things aren't looking very shine for Bolton either, btw.

How do you think that battle will go? Will Manderlys flip and when? If he takes them with minimal casualities, he is even with Boltons. It is problem, a major one.

16 hours ago, dariopatke said:

How do you think that battle will go? Will Manderlys flip and when? If he takes them with minimal casualities, he is even with Boltons. It is problem, a major one.

I think Stannis will crush Bolton. As for the reasons:

- Bolton's army is messed up and just some of his soldiers are actually loyal to him.

- Stannis seems to have some tricks up his sleeve, as showed in that quote i provided, and other things we have seen, like him making holes in the lake and whatnot.

-

Spoiler

The man in charge of the Freys, Aenys Frey, died, and the new one who replaced him is a moron, "ser stupid."

-

Spoiler

The Karstark dude who was going to screw him up was arrested.

Among others things.

As for the Manderlies, well, i'm not sure about what you you're asking, but i will assume you're thinking Manderly being with Bolton is a problem. Well, i think Roose will send Manderly's host because Manderly staying inside the castle would be even worse than having him out (because there he would cause more trouble, like making his men attack Bolton's, etc.)

When Bolton comes to attack The Mannis He'll head towards the fake beacon Stannis lit on the lake filled with all dem holes. Preston Jacobs Claims he'll make catapults to break the ice so the boltomn men go for a swim. I really don't see how they'll manage to do that with the resources they have. It makes more sense he'll send the horses charging over the ice, maybe weighed down with stuff to break through the ice. 

Archived