Possible Name of Jon's First Chapter in Winds

Yet Another ASOIAF Fan

Assuming that 1) Jon is alive in some form or another and 2) Jon will have a chapter in Winds, what would the title of Jon Snow's first chapter in Winds of Winter be?  Will Martin just use Jon as a title or an alternate title like The Turncoat, Cat Of The Canals, or The King's Prize?

My guess would be that Jon's chapters will be hidden in alternative titles.  Non-forum fans will most likely be surprised to see that Jon survived the assassination attempt.  Also it would be an effective counter measure against people like me who will scan the table of contents to check  for signs of a Jon chapter.

Something related to Ghost, like Ghost of Ice and Fire, Ghost of the Wall, or maybe something related to bastard. Maybe even Leader of Free World, related to series (free folk) and real world. I know those are too obvious but in 2:47 after a really really long day I really cant think of anything better.

The first "Jon" chapter will be called "Jon", and about Jon Connington. This will probably be after a round of other POVs, too.

I think there will then be a "Ghost of <so and so>" chapter, but it will be a Theon or Arya chapter or something. Then probably another round of POVs.

Then we get a chapter titled, simply, "Ghost". If I was Martin. I would advance as many POVs as I could before even letting us see Jon. I'd also end the chapter on a cliffhanger that makes his ultimate fate unclear - it's pretty much just a few minutes / hours in Ghost while whatever happens. Then I'd go through another round of POVs before getting to an actual chapter that makes his ultimate fate clear.

That's interesting. I never really considered how The George was going to go about reintroducing Jon Snow (assuming Jon Snow returns (safe assumption)). A random thought just popped into my head that I think would be really-super-fuckin-awesome.

I would love to read the Jon chapters without knowing they're Jon chapters. GRRM could use a pseudonym or go straight untitled, but introduce the viewpoint as a mystery character. People will absolutely sniff out what he's up to right away, but it's The George so you would still have to question everything until you get definitive proof.

I can imagine the new Jon to be very different from the Jon we now know. It's safe to assume the possibility that he is changed enough that we don't immediately recognize him. It would be the ultimate statement of "Jon Snow" dying and "Azor Hotpie" or whoever being born. I would find it more shocking than the Red Wedding to read a couple chapters from some strange new viewpoint and find out it is Jon.

4 hours ago, Veloknight said:

The first "Jon" chapter will be called "Jon", and about Jon Connington. This will probably be after a round of other POVs, too.

I think there will then be a "Ghost of <so and so>" chapter, but it will be a Theon or Arya chapter or something. Then probably another round of POVs.

Then we get a chapter titled, simply, "Ghost". If I was Martin. I would advance as many POVs as I could before even letting us see Jon. I'd also end the chapter on a cliffhanger that makes his ultimate fate unclear - it's pretty much just a few minutes / hours in Ghost while whatever happens. Then I'd go through another round of POVs before getting to an actual chapter that makes his ultimate fate clear.

That's a brilliant troll move, I love it. Though definitely not as evil as starting a book with the Pate-Damphair-Hotah trifecta before a familiar character shows up. 

I'm personally leaning towards "LL Cool Jon" as a title, and the chapter starts with "Don't call it a comeback, I've been a wolf for years!" (but I guess that might've worked better with the 5 year gap). 

I personally think that while Jon will be back, he'll be a character from other characters' POVs from now on. We don't get his personal thoughts anymore as he's died and been revived. This is why there's so many POVs congregated in the North, because they'll be trading off Jon Snow duty soon, one after another.

1 hour ago, WhitewolfStark said:

I personally think that while Jon will be back, he'll be a character from other characters' POVs from now on. We don't get his personal thoughts anymore as he's died and been revived. This is why there's so many POVs congregated in the North, because they'll be trading off Jon Snow duty soon, one after another.

We can go without his POV for a while, but I can't imagine it will be permanent. He is probably the closest we have to a main character.

His parentage, Robb's will, Stark reunion, Fight agains the Others...They are central for the books and unfinished. The story would be much less interesting if we get them only from POV like Davos and Melisandre.

That said I am still not convinced he is dead.

Archived