Possible Name of Jon's First Chapter in Winds

Yet Another ASOIAF Fan

Could be Azor Ahai.

Mel managed to convince Stannis he was AAR, I wouldn't be surprised if she can convince Jon too.  If she revives him with fire magic, that's pretty convincing evidence, at least from the point of view of the characters.

21 hours ago, Veloknight said:

The first "Jon" chapter will be called "Jon", and about Jon Connington. This will probably be after a round of other POVs, too.

I think there will then be a "Ghost of <so and so>" chapter, but it will be a Theon or Arya chapter or something. Then probably another round of POVs.

Then we get a chapter titled, simply, "Ghost". If I was Martin. I would advance as many POVs as I could before even letting us see Jon. I'd also end the chapter on a cliffhanger that makes his ultimate fate unclear - it's pretty much just a few minutes / hours in Ghost while whatever happens. Then I'd go through another round of POVs before getting to an actual chapter that makes his ultimate fate clear.

This would be awesome! :D

16 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

I personally think that while Jon will be back, he'll be a character from other characters' POVs from now on. We don't get his personal thoughts anymore as he's died and been revived. This is why there's so many POVs congregated in the North, because they'll be trading off Jon Snow duty soon, one after another.

GRRM said at one point that he won't ever have a POV of a king or ruler, so you maybe right?!?

That does make me wonder why we have any Dany chapters... 

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

GRRM said at one point that he won't ever have a POV of a king or ruler, so you maybe right?!?

That does make me wonder why we have any Dany chapters... 

She's a Conqueror, and I don't think she'll last long, to be quite honest. Her embracing the idea of her house words of Fire and Blood (aka Total Warfare--that's what the phrase in Medieval thought means as it comes from the Hundred Years War to describe the merciless buchery of such warfare) is an indication to me that she'll bring that to Westeros and be consumed by it as she attempts to conquer.

3 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

She's a Conqueror, and I don't think she'll last long, to be quite honest. Her embracing the idea of her house words of Fire and Blood (aka Total Warfare--that's what the phrase in Medieval thought means as it comes from the Hundred Years War to describe the merciless buchery of such warfare) is an indication to me that she'll bring that to Westeros and be consumed by it as she attempts to conquer.

I know. I agree with you ;)

I was referring more to the idea that because of what you stated, and maybe a few more details, she won't be the Queen B that so many want her to be, AKA, I was being a sarcastic arse :D

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know. I agree with you ;)

I was referring more to the idea that because of what you stated, and maybe a few more details, she won't be the Queen B that so many want her to be. 

Agreed. And lately on my reread of Jon in my A Ball of Beasts reread through AFFC & ADWD I've been noticing that unless he learns a tremendous deal from his death experience, he's likely to be not that much better as a leader. It really hit me after rereading Samwell 1 (AFFC) and Jon 2 (ADWD) back to back. GRRM manages to make it a proper two-sided argument by providing a situation where Aemon's advice to Jon does in fact come in handy, but the fact that Jon has to constantly remind himself to "be a man" and then alienates his allies (by how he got to power), even going so far as to try and do his friends a "favor" by forcing them to "be a man" additionally. I just was really struck by how having Samwell 1 read immediately before, that the whole "kill the boy and let the man be born" mantra that a lot of fans like to squeal over, really takes a darker turn. As I said, GRRM does make it a proper two-sided argument by then providing a situation where Jon does in fact need to be everything Aemon said by confronting Janos Slynt, however Jon goes too far with Aemon's advice and is only hurting himself.

It's like Jon hasn't yet learned the lesson that Bran learned from watching Ned. In Bran 1 AGOT Bran notes when his father wears his "Lord's Face" and when he doesn't. Jon it seems makes the mistake of constantly wearing his "Lord's Face". And while I'd agree that a majority of the time he needs to do so, there should be times and situations when he shouldn't be so rigid, but instead know when to bend.

GRRM is a stated feminist, who is rather perturbed by... well, "Puppygate" if you follow his not-a-blog. His other work features traditional "manly men" and those who try to be that in rather negative lights (Randyll Tarly being the most explicit in ASOIAF). It makes me wonder if Jon's mistake in ADWD might not be corrected when he is resurrected--but instead only doubled-down upon (like how Catelyn learned that Revenge wouldn't get her children back, but in her last moments as her son died in her arms, it was all she could think about and that's what was resurrected about her--not the woman she was). It makes me ponder if Jon will be "frozen" as a character in a similar manner, so that he permanently stays in that state of needing to "kill the boy".

It just makes me think, that Dany might not be the only one from whom a darker turn might be expected. What if by trying to "save" Westeros they simply bring more death and destruction?

On 1/31/2016 at 4:12 AM, WhitewolfStark said:

I personally think that while Jon will be back, he'll be a character from other characters' POVs from now on. We don't get his personal thoughts anymore as he's died and been revived. This is why there's so many POVs congregated in the North, because they'll be trading off Jon Snow duty soon, one after another.

I was thinking the same. We'd first read about him in a Melisandre POV.

I think Mel may use herself as the Nissa Nissa portion of the AA prophecy. Or maybe Selyse at this point??? I really think Val will play a bigger portion than we may think right now and because of this we won't get a Jon chapter but his story will all be within another POV.

Anyway, I would like to see the first chapter with Jon to say "Val's Husband".

21 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Agreed. And lately on my reread of Jon in my A Ball of Beasts reread through AFFC & ADWD I've been noticing that unless he learns a tremendous deal from his death experience, he's likely to be not that much better as a leader. It really hit me after rereading Samwell 1 (AFFC) and Jon 2 (ADWD) back to back. GRRM manages to make it a proper two-sided argument by providing a situation where Aemon's advice to Jon does in fact come in handy, but the fact that Jon has to constantly remind himself to "be a man" and then alienates his allies (by how he got to power), even going so far as to try and do his friends a "favor" by forcing them to "be a man" additionally. I just was really struck by how having Samwell 1 read immediately before, that the whole "kill the boy and let the man be born" mantra that a lot of fans like to squeal over, really takes a darker turn. As I said, GRRM does make it a proper two-sided argument by then providing a situation where Jon does in fact need to be everything Aemon said by confronting Janos Slynt, however Jon goes too far with Aemon's advice and is only hurting himself.

It's like Jon hasn't yet learned the lesson that Bran learned from watching Ned. In Bran 1 AGOT Bran notes when his father wears his "Lord's Face" and when he doesn't. Jon it seems makes the mistake of constantly wearing his "Lord's Face". And while I'd agree that a majority of the time he needs to do so, there should be times and situations when he shouldn't be so rigid, but instead know when to bend.

GRRM is a stated feminist, who is rather perturbed by... well, "Puppygate" if you follow his not-a-blog. His other work features traditional "manly men" and those who try to be that in rather negative lights (Randyll Tarly being the most explicit in ASOIAF). It makes me wonder if Jon's mistake in ADWD might not be corrected when he is resurrected--but instead only doubled-down upon (like how Catelyn learned that Revenge wouldn't get her children back, but in her last moments as her son died in her arms, it was all she could think about and that's what was resurrected about her--not the woman she was). It makes me ponder if Jon will be "frozen" as a character in a similar manner, so that he permanently stays in that state of needing to "kill the boy".

It just makes me think, that Dany might not be the only one from whom a darker turn might be expected. What if by trying to "save" Westeros they simply bring more death and destruction?

I do read not-a-blog semi regularly, and yeah, puppygate took up a lot of time.

Either Jon or Dany has to be "good" or atleast do "good" for Wetseros in the end or else the entire story is for not. I am a writer myself and have tried sliding stories without clear heroes across some desks and it never ends well. People get very uneasy or confused when they don't know "who to root for" and it's kinda weird. I think even a talented writer on the level of GRRM will have a hard time making both Jon and Dany mad on some level to where they only bring death and destruction.

Sansa will just be standing there in the sides, tapping her feathered heels saying, "told you so".

I have done some of the back-and-forth between the books reading but it has been a while. I will give it a try again with the two chapters you mentioned.

There are a couple lines from the Night's Watch Oath that could work as a title.

"The Sword in the Darkness" - "The Watcher on the Wall"

...   "The Light that Brings the Dawn"   ...

But the BEST would be a POV titled "The Lord Commander"

Except it wouldn't be Jon Snow.

It would be...

(   W a   i   t        F   o   r        I t   )

It would be a POV from Dolorous Edd :smoking: "The Lord Commander"

I imagine in the first Jon PoV he will be back in the dream of the Winterfell crypts and go a step further than before.  I think at this point he will also connect with Bran/BR.  Maybe a prologue or maybe a chapter called The Ghost In Winterfell (as he's not physically there).  

If his PoV is from within Ghost, watching the aftermath of the stabbing, it may also be a prologue or something like The Watcher On The Wall or The Watch.

Archived