Direwolf Death

There are still four direwolves left and that is too many to survive the series.  (1)  Which of the direwolves is the weakest?  (2)  Which one is likely to die in tWoW?  (3) Which one should die to move the story along and would fit with its current plot?

My answers are:

1)  Summer

2)  Ghost

3)  Nymeria should die since she has gone to the point of making her pack an enemy of the riverlands, but I do not think she will die in the next book.  She will end up living, to serve as Arya's vessel when her own human body dies. 

11 hours ago, Lame Lothar Frey said:

There are still four direwolves left and that is too many to survive the series.  (1)  Which of the direwolves is the weakest?  (2)  Which one is likely to die in tWoW?  (3) Which one should die to move the story along and would fit with its current plot?

My answers are:

1)  Summer

2)  Ghost

3)  Nymeria should die since she has gone to the point of making her pack an enemy of the riverlands, but I do not think she will die in the next book.  She will end up living, to serve as Arya's vessel when her own human body dies. 

I'm curious as to why four direwolves is too many? Also, are you saying Summer is the weakest because of his fight with One-Eye?

1.  Physically it is likely Ghost since he was the runt of the litter, but mentally Shaggy Dog seems to be at a disadvantage.

2.  The only Direwolf I see dying is Summer (because I don't have much hope for the survival Bran's crew, they're too far north and winter has come).  Though I see Summer surviving until Dreams of Spring and that no Direwolves die in Winds of Winter.

3. Summer.  If Bran really is paralleling the tale of the Last Hero, as I think he is, then the death of his 'dog' is part of that.  Summer will also be his last tie to the physical world and allow him to accept becoming an old god. 

2 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

1.  Physically it is likely Ghost since he was the runt of the litter, but mentally Shaggy Dog seems to be at a disadvantage.

2.  The only Direwolf I see dying is Summer (because I don't have much hope for the survival Bran's crew, they're too far north and winter has come).  Though I see Summer surviving until Dreams of Spring and that no Direwolves die in Winds of Winter.

3. Summer.  If Bran really is paralleling the tale of the Last Hero, as I think he is, then the death of his 'dog' is part of that.  Summer will also be his last tie to the physical world and allow him to accept becoming an old god. 

Agree the last hero stuff. 

But in this case, does meera need to die too? 

(1)  Which of the direwolves is the weakest? 

Shaggydog.

(2)  Which one is likely to die in tWoW? 

Ghost.

(3) Which one should die to move the story along and would fit with its current plot?

Summer.

Ghost - unlikely he started as the smllest but it is said in wiki as he becomes the largest of the pack bigger than grey wind. i don't think jon will die. he already "died" once to him to die again feels like shitty writing.

nymeria - no way she has a superpack of wolves and her name is of a wwarrior queen of rhoynar. if arya dies(which i would hate it to happen) she may warg into nymeria as someone else said

shaggydog - no idea don't anything about rickon only season 6 or TWOW  will tell us 

summer - he is likely to die as we know that in asoiaf "magic comes at a price" thing

On 2016-02-04 at 3:54 AM, The Fresh PtwP said:

Weakest-Shaggy

Likely to die-Nymeria, been running rampant since ACOK.

Should die- Shaggy. After the battle of Ice, with Robb's letter, LF's scheme, and Davos' task all in the works there is going to be a KiTN/Lord of Winterfell sucession crisis...and i call (F)rickon shenanigans.

Beautiful pun :cheers:

On 2016-02-08 at 10:05 PM, Mon ami said:
  1. Nymeria.  Females wolves are smaller than the males.
  2. Summer dies I think.  That's what pushes Bran to the edge and makes him turn to evil.
  3. Ghost should die with Jon in tWoW.

According to Wikipedia, and specimens found of real-life direwolves (which I admit, aren't a 1-1 comparison to Westerosi direwolves, but it's the best we've got!):

With the exception of the canine teeth in some populations, male and female body and teeth sizes evidence no major sexual dimorphism, similar to most canines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf

So it's not *necessarily* true that Nymeria is visibly smaller than her brothers.  It's certainly not a given.  Possible, yes, but you shouldn't assume.  And "smaller" doesn't mean "weaker."  She might *look* smaller but she's bound to be better fed than Summer, what with all those Frey's running around to eat!  "Smaller" may also mean "dense" as in she may *look* shorter but she's still got as much or more muscle-power as the others.  A smaller, denser man can be stronger than a tall beanpole of a man.  Or even a person who's considered small and wiry can still have an equal amount of strength as a beefier person.

In short - small =/= weak.  Small things can be strong and big things can be weak.

Archived