Ok Ladies, Robert or Rhaegar?

DigUpHerBones

6 hours ago, grinny said:

Right now I want somebody to write this fanfiction:rofl:

Lyanna and Robert bonding over their matchmaking and Brienne and Ned being awkward about it because they totally know about the plans of those two and Brienne's father

okay, you guys know that Brienne was like, one year old at the time.

Still, i want that fic.

OT, I'd say riding off in the sunset with Elia and her kids.

8 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Until he abandons you and two young babies to elope with another woman who is 10 years younger than you and let his mad and rapist father take care of you. 

Then pretty face is nothing. 

Sure Robert is not a model husband, but he is way way better than Rhaegar. 

An abusive husband is better than a cheating husband? Not so sure I agree on that front. Not that it absolves Rhaegar of blame, but I would still rather take humiliation over abuse. Not to mention, there is still the cheating with Robert too, only more frequently.

8 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Agreed at least Robert was honest and upfront about what he was, Rhaghar lol what the hell did he do to be considered such a hero after igniting the war and leaving his father alone he got humiliated like the coward he was in his first real non-pampered fight.

Where do you get the idea that Rhaegar was a coward from?  He fought and died when he could have run away.  And, tournament fighting is a dangerous sport in its own right.

As things turned out, being Cersei was better than being Elia.  But, I wouldn't put that down to their respective husbands.  Rhaegar was a better husband than Robert.

With Robert you get a husband who is abusive and cheating, at least as far as his marriage with Cersei is concerned - and as Lyanna herself said 'love is sweet but it cannot change a man's nature'.

If Rhaegar wasn't married and it wasn't going to cause a war, I'd choose him a heartbeat.  At least with Rhaegar, I'd share an interest in books, music and history - a hell of a lot better than spending my time watching Robert killing animals and shagging my maids. However, in the actual timeline, I'd have to suffer Robert to try and avoid catastrophe and early death for so many - at least until the Others turn up and there is no Prince who was promised or dragons to stop them.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd pick Robert. At least he's easily manipulated, and since he has no interest in ruling, I'd be top dog. Our children would be rulers after our deaths, and I'd get my family and friends into powerful positions on top of that. 

I don't have a problem with open relationships, it's not as if I had to stay faithful to Robert. We'd be officially married, but each have sidepieces, and from time to time we'd party together. It doesn't seem like Rhaegar was much fun (though of course that could be a false conclusion), and he certainly wouldn't have accepted anyone other than him rule the realm.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

An abusive husband is better than a cheating husband? Not so sure I agree on that front. Not that it absolves Rhaegar of blame, but I would still rather take humiliation over abuse. Not to mention, there is still the cheating with Robert too, only more frequently.

I think the point is the ending of rhaegar's wife and children. 

Abusive husband is bad, but better than early deaths. 

Being cersei is no doubt better than being elia martell. No matter how sweet rhaegar is. 

Isn't leaving a wife who almost died to gave birth and elope with another younger woman, shaming the wife for the 2nd time when what she really needed was support and later put her and their little children in the form of his mad father who used them as a pawn is a form of emotional abuse ? I think so. I'd rather suffer Robert compare to Rhaegar

Basically if i were Rhaegar's wife i'd better pray for a healthy uterus, but then again he crowned Lyanna after Rhaenys's birth when Elia was still deemed fit to give birth so there's no amount of praying that could fix that 

Cersei was a terrible abusive person as well. She emotionally and mentally abused Robert just like Robert physically abused Cersei (people also pointed out sexual abuse I dont believe that, but hey maybe? I wont dismiss it) 

Also I want to ask who am I marrying? Young Robert before the whole Lyanna, Cersei thing? Young Rheager before Elia? 

If I'm going to marry Old Robert or Old Rheager. Than I choose Robert, make him have his fun Ill be like the wife/Empress {her name is Chabi from Marco Polo}. If you can't beat them join em. Hell maybe Robert would be like the Khan and we can be a Power couple. Chabi > Cersei

Unlike if I married Rheager dude would 1st shame me in front of the nation. Then shame me again by leaving me. Then have me killed. I don't think so. 

28 minutes ago, SilentDystopia said:

Cersei was a terrible abusive person as well. She emotionally and mentally abused Robert just like Robert physically abused Cersei (people also pointed out sexual abuse I dont believe that, but hey maybe? I wont dismiss it) 

Also I want to ask who am I marrying? Young Robert before the whole Lyanna, Cersei thing? Young Rheager before Elia? 

If I'm going to marry Old Robert or Old Rheager. Than I choose Robert, make him have his fun Ill be like the wife/Empress {her name is Chabi from Marco Polo}. If you can't beat them join em. Hell maybe Robert would be like the Khan and we can be a Power couple. Chabi > Cersei

Unlike if I married Rheager dude would 1st shame me in front of the nation. Then shame me again by leaving me. Then have me killed. I don't think so. 

Interesting  comparison 

BTW Love your sig.

I'm not a lady, but in my opinion as a straight dude a lady would have to be kind of not all there to choose this

caius-interprete-par-jamie-campbell-bowe

over this

Henry-Cavill-The-Tudors-promo-05.jpg

Speaking from the shallow end of the pool, of course, though they were both douches in one way or another. 

24 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm not a lady, but in my opinion as a straight dude a lady would have to be kind of not all there to choose this

caius-interprete-par-jamie-campbell-bowe

over this

Henry-Cavill-The-Tudors-promo-05.jpg

Speaking from the shallow end of the pool, of course, though they were both douches in one way or another. 

Lol

I did not include Oberyn originally as i knew he would be a consensus...

A lot of people in my circle of ASOIAF fans like to romanticize Rhaegar, so it is nice to see others that share my view that BOTH were pieces of shit, but also both pretty fucking awesome.

And just as in "real life", the split appears to be pretty even, and just like in "real life", we all have great qualities, and all have terrible qualities that come out in times of stress.

My take? 

Robert was willing to split a realm over Lyanna.  It might not be the true love we know in literature between the two, and would have NEVER been monogamous, but he cared about her enough to do what he did.  Now was it love? or was Robert so egotistical he could not stand for someone else to take what was "his"?

Either way, we have ZERO evidence Robert gave a fuck what Areys did, even after the whole Brandon and Ricky thing.

But we sure do have a lot of evidence proving how he feels about Rhaegar after the alleged abduction.

What makes people think Lyanna wouldn't have also died young while being with Robert? 

Lyanna probably would have married Robert when she turned 16yr and had his kid and probably still died. Robert or Rhaegar I think she was more than likely would have always ended up dying in childbirth.  

24 minutes ago, DigUpHerBones said:

Robert was willing to split a realm over Lyanna.  It might not be the true love we know in literature between the two, and would have NEVER been monogamous, but he cared about her enough to do what he did.  Now was it love? or was Robert so egotistical he could not stand for someone else to take what was "his"?

Either way, we have ZERO evidence Robert gave a fuck what Areys did, even after the whole Brandon and Ricky thing.

But we sure do have a lot of evidence proving how he feels about Rhaegar after the alleged abduction.

1, Robort didn't start the war Jon Arryn did when He was told to kill Robert and Ned and to send their heads to the King. (Is that right?)

2, Robert was "in love" with Lyanna, but no lord would follow Robert and actually split the realm over Lyanna. She was a LP Daughter but she wasn't so important people would go to war for her. The war happened because the King was unjust and someone got pissed about it and called everyone they knew for the fight.

3, I don't believe Robert was egotistical, I could be wrong, but I don't think Ned would associate himself with someone like that. Robert was a big man who loved to fuck drink and party. A bit of a loose cannon and immature, but egotistical? I don't know.

4. What is this NEVER monogamous you are talking about? Robert is a young man who loves to do what any young man (doesn't matter what time) loved to do. Old Robert became who he is because he had to grow into that, not everyone will be the exactly the same. If Joanna lived would her kids be the same? Would Tywin? If Arya didn't watch her father died and deal with the lost of family would she still be the same? If Jon grew up with Lyanna and Rheager would he be the same? NEVER is such a 100% word like death. and like Tyrion said "Death is so final while Life is full of possibilities" 

8 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

What makes people think Lyanna wouldn't have also died young while being with Robert? 

Lyanna probably would have married Robert when she turned 16yr and had his kid and probably still died. Robert or Rhaegar I think she was more than likely would have always ended up dying in childbirth.  

Good question. This is something we have discussed before.

The conclusion is that, Lyanna had several big disadvantages on her actual childbirth versus her childbirth for Robert.

1. She did it in a broken tower in the middle of nowhere, the healthcare resource and hygiene must be not that good, at least not as good as winterfell or Storm's end

2. Even they got her a maester (not very possible due to the need of secrecy, it is more likely that Lyanna may only have Wylla there), it can not be as good as maester of Storm's end.

3. She is likely under great depression and grief due to the deaths of her family and rhaegar.

4. It was never said that Robert wanted or planned to marry Lyanna at 15 years old. In fact, based on his record with Cersei, he is no so in a hurry to get children. But Rhaegar is in urgent need for that.  And the book explicitly said a very young mother will have a much higher risk for childbirth, which is likely why Elia can survive two but Lyanna failed on one. Elia is frail but she is older and more mature when she had her children. Lyanna is strong but she is very young.

So in conclusion, Lyanna has a much better chance to survive if she bears child for Robert. (of course she can still die of childbirth, maybe her body just can not afford one child for any husband, but it is less likely since her mother had no issue about that, and she is supposed to be very strong and healthy)

Oh wait, I AM Lyanna, rather than wearing her "corset"? lol then I'm screwed, as I'm going to die in childbirth. 

Before I marry anyone, I'm storing moon tea. At which point, I marry Robert, and generously tell him that I will be happy to rear his (legitimized) bastards at court, given the fact that I'm tragically unable to get pregnant. We'll adopt all sixteen and educate them. It's Sound of Music, KL style.

btw, another reason to marry Robert: He has bastards. The virtuous Rhaegar does not, which kind of means I'm dying in childbirth. 

Archived