Heresy 182

Black Crow

1 hour ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

Like claiming Bloodraven was albino. The Ghost of HH was the only human albino we are explicitly referenced. In fact, claiming Bloodraven is an albino makes no sense, unless albinism works very differently in Westeros. He has pure white skin, when an albino would have a pale skin similar to people of European descent. Red eyes are not a trait of albinism, unless you are a rabbit, albinos have blue eyes, rare are the ones with eyes in a pink/violet tone.

White skin/blue eyes sounds a bit familiar... :devil:

54 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

Not a sign from the gods but a sign he is either weak minded or a child, as he is letting the wolf take over. Compared to his siblings, he is too young and is not developing a proper bond, like Bran shows (Bran and Summer form a synergy, it is literally a wolf-raven companionship, a winged wolf), or Arya (can't comprehend but accept it) or Jon (knows what it is, but still try to be above Ghost. Jon overcomes Ghost almost every time). Robb didn't comprehend and didn't accept it. Or Sansa, whose actions led to the premature demise of her wolf (before that, it seemed that Sansa was the opposite of Rickon, while Rickon is slowly becoming Shaggydog, Lady became Sansa. Robb became a beast tamer for GW. Jon, Arya and Bran bonded to their wolves in order to became one, with varied degree of success (and progress).

:agree:

The only thing I'd question is whether Rickon is slowly becoming Shaggydog. The wolf is already the dominant partner and I'd imagine that its a process which is likely to accelerate as time goes on.

I can foresee a tragic/bittersweet end for young Rickon rather than a starring role at the end. As you point out we've not had a POV for him yet and its also worth noting that he's an afterthought unmentioned in the original synopsis. GRRM has obviously brought him in for a reason but not to completely change the original plot.

9 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Probably :D

Or its due to him being a greenseer.

"In a sense. Those you call the children of the forest have eyes as golden as the sun, but once in a great while one is born amongst them with eyes as red as blood, or green as the moss on a tree in the heart of the forest. By these signs do the gods mark those they have chosen to receive the gift. The chosen ones are not robust, and their quick years upon the earth are few, for every song must have its balance. But once inside the wood they linger long indeed. A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. Greenseers."

On 2/3/2016 at 10:31 PM, Matthew. said:

Without knowing what Mel does or does not know about resurrection, we cannot say how she'd actually react to Jon returning--if she performs the Last Kiss as a death rite, only for Jon to rise reborn and "cleansed" by the fire, as the Red Priests believe, she may very well take this as a sign that he's something more than just a potential ally.

It does occur to me [with an eye to the spoiler posted above] that given Mel's faith that Stan is the Man, she has a perfectly reasonable motive in resurrecting Jon [assuming he needs resurrecting] if she sees him as the last best hope of rescuing Stannis.

Actually though I'm still inclined to place my faith in "oh, you think he's dead do you?"

On 2/8/2016 at 10:09 AM, Armstark said:

Rhalla's unborn child was supposed to be sacrificed at Summerhall to fulfill the prophecy and bring back dragons. 

She is the secondborn grandchild of the fifthtborn Aegon V.

Stannis is the secondborn grandchild of the fifthborn Rhaelle and is supposed to wake dragons from stone as well.

So Melisandre thinks Stannis is Azor Ahai because he is the secondborn grandchild of a fifthborn Targaryen.

Very nice observation. And who's to say Stannis isn't Azor Ahai Reborn? We don't know what the supposed purpose of AAR is meant to be or what it is that he should do to be a hero. 

9 hours ago, aDanceWithFlagons said:

Very nice observation. And who's to say Stannis isn't Azor Ahai Reborn? We don't know what the supposed purpose of AAR is meant to be or what it is that he should do to be a hero. 

I'm a little wary of this kind of detail as I'm sure GRRM is filling this in after the event rather than laying the groundwork beforehand. Nevertheless I don't see why Stannis can't be Mel's AAR since he ticks all the right boxes. I'm reminded once again of the old joke about Manx cats and wonder whether there really is a lone hero, be he Azor Ahai or anybody else or whether the whole point is that people want a hero to arise and return whether he be Azor Ahai, King Arthur or even Winston Churchill, and that there are some out there in the story who want to make that legend happen.

I think Melisandra has abandoned Stannis as Azor Ahai. She told Davos that the reason why Stannis lost at the Blackwater was because she wasn't with, so why isn't she with Stannis now? He's freezing and starving in the snow outside Winterfell. If she felt it was important for Stannis to win then she would be there making sure he does.

4 minutes ago, Feather Crystal said:

I think Melisandra has abandoned Stannis as Azor Ahai. She told Davos that the reason why Stannis lost at the Blackwater was because she wasn't with, so why isn't she with Stannis now? He's freezing and starving in the snow outside Winterfell. If she felt it was important for Stannis to win then she would be there making sure he does.

Maybe she is staying close to the wall because it increases her powers believing that if her help is needed she will know by the fire or ravens?

17 minutes ago, Feather Crystal said:

Well she's certainly narked, but as I suggested she's more likely to try and pull a Beric Dondarrion on Jon so that he can rescue Stannis and so prove her indispensability, than to raise him up as her AAR MkII

This may be a bit out of place and a little early, but is there any thought to the future of the Heresy thread once the next set of mummer's version comes out? While that version is certainly its own thing, I think it would be really difficult to continue discussing heresies while largely being forced to ignore possible new info while we wait for Winds of Winter.

Carefully, with discretion and a liberal use of spoiler tags as above. The management, quite rightly, don't like direct discussion of things that might be, might not be or never were, and despite my repeated warnings we had one thread severely edited and another taken down entirely when one individual persisted in openly discussing the mummers version last time around. 

Then again there are occasional clues such as the major one above which are we can't ignore, any more than we can ignore SSMs. So tread carefully and don't frighten the horses. Although GRRM has confessed he isn't going to get Winds out before the show it could still be only months rather than years away.

Archived