Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

It's about three minutes till the deadline. Please, don't make any changes after that. (Or if you are just about to make a last minute change, make sure I know about it.) I will post the answers to the clues soon so that you can vote for your favourite clues.

ROUND ONE CLUES AND ANSWERS

Please, vote on your favourite clue until 6. p.m. Central European Time tomorrow (Tuesday 16th February) – that’s about 19 hours (and a half) from now. Don’t waste any votes on Clue 7. (I don’t think anybody would be tempted to do such a thing but still.)

1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath. Jeor Mormont

2. He's "aged." Judiciously doesn't expect companionate conversation.  the Elder Brother

3. Died alone. Bitter Nobleman. Oceangoing. Balon Greyjoy

4. He advised: "Just don't elect catapulting chickens!" Maester Cressen

5. Daughter and bonfire? No! Outrageous! Shireen Baratheon

6. Desperate.  Autocratic.  Beggarly.  Notably obnoxious. Viserys Targaryen, the “Beggar King”

7. Hairy adventurer. Jilted despite efforts. Chivalry compromised. Jorah Mormont

8.  Disputed as beautiful. Nomenclature obstructed. Brienne of Tarth

Theme: Lived on a Westerosi island.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hate to point this out, but Westeros is the size of South America.  Not exactly an island...

I'm a bit confused. I didn't say Westeros was an island. The theme is characters who lived on an island belonging to Westeros (like Bear Island, Dragonstone etc.). 

ok i have an issue or two but will wait til the end to vent them....

vote:

first -  # 1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath ...the best clue of the group in my opinion

second - #  6. Desperate.  Autocratic.  Beggarly.  Notably obnoxious ...second best IMO complete and straight forward

third - # 5.  Daughter and bonfire? No! Outrageous! ...though honestly this is a show reference and not a book one so i was tempted to go a different way

:smoking:

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

ok i have an issue or two but will wait til the end to vent them....

vote:

first -  # 1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath ...the best clue of the group in my opinion

second - #  6. Desperate.  Autocratic.  Beggarly.  Notably obnoxious ...second best IMO complete and straight forward

third - # 5.  Daughter and bonfire? No! Outrageous! ...though honestly this is a show reference and not a book one so i was tempted to go a different way

:smoking:

Are you sure? Most of the fandom seems to expect Shireen to be burned by Mel at some point, and Selyse would probably be in on it. 

21 hours ago, Julia H. said:

1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath. Jeor Mormont

Great clue. I originally guessed Aemon and it mostly fits but Jeor was better, glad I changed this one.

2. He's "aged." Judiciously doesn't expect companionate conversation.  the Elder Brother

Mine. Obviously the best of the bunch.  On the vague side but that's why it's a clue and not a flashing sign. Judicious separated it from Euron, in my mind, as did the idea that Euron isn't the elder in all cases (Balon).

3. Died alone. Bitter Nobleman. Oceangoing. Balon Greyjoy

Despite that Oceangoing wasn't as great a fit and I'm not certain whether or not he was a nobleman, the bitter and died alone references made me prefer this as a clue for Aegor Rivers... even though Balon was my first guess for any clue. Not sure whether to be disappointed or just happy that I'm so awesome and thought of Bittersteel.

4. He advised: "Just don't elect catapulting chickens!" Maester Cressen

My favorite clue. Obscure but obviously Cressen once I figure it out.

5. Daughter and bonfire? No! Outrageous! Shireen Baratheon

Too wide open for my tastes. Is this Stannis? Davos (my guess)? Shireen herself? Not sure why it fits one better than another, though I allow that this could be due to my failings more than the clue.

6. Desperate.  Autocratic.  Beggarly.  Notably obnoxious. Viserys Targaryen, the “Beggar King”

Solid clue. Beggar made me certain it was Viserys over other rulers.

7. Hairy adventurer. Jilted despite efforts. Chivalry compromised. Jorah Mormont

Pretty easy. Straightforward.

8.  Disputed as beautiful. Nomenclature obstructed. Brienne of Tarth

I struggled with this before getting it right. Thought it felt Arya and Cersei pretty well for various reasons. Considered making this my favorite.

Theme: Lived on a Westerosi island.

Solid theme. More obvious if I didn't have some wrong. I rarely get themes, though. They don't suit my mannerisms of thought.

Since the tallies are underway, I'll consider results final. Thoughts added above.

Answers and Authors

1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath.

Answer: Jeor Mormont (Bear Island)

Author: Dolorous Gabe

Explanation: Mormont voluntarily gave up his seat as lord of Bear Island in favour of his son when he took the black.

Other answers given:  Orton Merryweather, Aemon Targaryen

2. He's "aged." Judiciously doesn't expect companionate conversation. 

Answer: the Elder Brother (Quiet Isle)

Author: Ser Not Appearing

Explanation: Well, “aged” refers to elder, in quotation marks to indicate that it is not about real age. He lives on Quiet Isle, where the brothers take a vow of silence.

Other answers given:  Theon Greyjoy, Jon Snow, Erik Ironmaker, Aerys II Targaryen, Bloodraven

3. Died alone. Bitter Nobleman. Oceangoing.

Answer: Balon Greyjoy (Iron Islands)

Author: rocksniffer

Explanation: Seems self-explanatory.

Other answers given:  Bittersteel

4. He advised: "Just don't elect catapulting chickens!"

Answer: Maester Cressen (Dragonstone)

Author: a shadow

Explanation: During the Siege of Storm's End some men of the garrison tried to open the gate. Stannis had wanted to place them on the catapults and send them to the enemy, but Cressen advised against it. He pointed out that they did not have much food and that hunger might force them to eat the prisoners.

Chicken can also mean a cowardly person.

Other answers given:  Stannis Baratheon, Davos, Grey Worm

5. Daughter and bonfire? No! Outrageous!

Answer: Shireen Baratheon (Dragonstone)

Author: Lady Blizzardborn

Explanation: Reference to the idea that Shireen is in danger of getting burned.

Other answers given:  Stannis, Davos

6. Desperate.  Autocratic.  Beggarly.  Notably obnoxious.

Answer: Viserys Targaryen, the “Beggar King” (Dragonstone)

Author: Fragile Bird

Explanation: A description of the character’s personality. Beggarly also refers to his nickname.

Other answers given:  Ramsay Bolton

7. Hairy adventurer. Jilted despite efforts. Chivalry compromised.

Answer: Jorah Mormont (Bear Island)

Author: the host

Explanation: Hairy: a "bear". Jilted by his second wife even though he had done much and more to please her. The last part is about his relationship with Dany.

Other answers given: None.  

8.  Disputed as beautiful. Nomenclature obstructed.

Answer: Brienne of Tarth (Tarth)

Author: lil’ ghost

Explanation: While Brienne is usually not considered beautiful, Jaime does think she has beautiful eyes. (She also has a nickname “Beauty”.) She cannot be knighted (named a “Ser”) due to being a woman.

Other answers given:  Melisandre, Asha Greyjoy

Finally, the scores. Please, double-check the calculation.

ROUND ONE SCORES

Dolorous Gabe

Guessing points: 15    

Theme points: 4   

Points spent: 1  

Author points: 4   

Favourite clue points: 2

Voting points: 1                              

Bonus points: -                               

Total: 25

Ser Not Appearing 

Theme points: 0   

Points spent: 0 

Author points: 1  

Favourite clue points: 0

Total: 17

rocksniffer 

Guessing points: 12    

Points spent: 2 

Favourite clue points: 1

Total: 20

a shadow 

Guessing points:  21   

Points spent: 1   

Author points: 2  

Favourite clue points: 3

Bonus points: 5    

Total: 35

Lady Blizzardborn 

Guessing points: 9    

Theme points: 0   

Points spent: 8 

Total: 6

Fragile Bird 

Author points:  4 

Total: 22

lil’ ghost                

Guessing points: 6    

Theme points: 2     

Favourite clue points: 1

Total: 12

The first round brought a landslide victory for a shadow, who did not only guess all the clues and the theme correctly – and I must say really quickly - (winning the bonus points as well) but also received the most favourite clue votes. The runner-up is Dolorous Gabe with an impressive number of correct guesses as well as with the second most popular clue, closely followed by Fragile Bird.

The second round and a new challenge will start soon! :)

Archived