US Election Thread - Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

karaddin

Jeb is just too left wing for the Republicans now. Even GWB is too left wing, he'd never get the nomination if he was to stand now. Remember "compassionate conservatism"? Compassion is weak and for dummies and won't save us from terrorists.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

I can't help but think he doesn't want to be president but couldn't bring himself to tell Dad, so he's going along with it and throwing the campaign. Only way I can make sense of it.

Actually, someone on Twitter corrected me; it's unlikely Jeb Bush questions any decision he's ever made.

Looks like Trump ends up only 1% ahead of Rubio, and only 5% separates the top 3. I think Rubio really comes out best tonight showing the country that he is a genuine contender and worth voters seriously consider backing him.

Things should get really interesting now that it looks more like a 3 horse race rather than a 2 horse race.

2 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Hoping for Rubio not to surge into 2nd here.  He's still the likeliest general election winner to me.

Wouldn't you rather face the higher probability of Rubio being president than any sort of possibility of Trump or Cruz being president?

The Democratic side is so close that no one is really going to "win" when it comes down to delegates, but it would mean a lot more for Sanders than for Clinton to be able to declare victory in the "vote" tally. Either way, this is a stunning result in the scheme of things. Clinton was supposed to be near untouchable, and if anyone was going to seriously challenge her it was supposed to be a comparatively big name like Biden, not a little known Senator from Vermont.

Well Iowa is notorious for not picking the eventual Republican nominees. The last two caucus winners have been Huckabee in 2008 and Sanatorum in 2012. McCain the Repub nominee in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Still feel that Trump or Rubio will be the eventual winner for Repub Presidential candidate. 

If Rubio beats trump that's likely going to be the start of the end for trumps campaign. It means the national polls are fairly weak for him as a predictor, and that's going to be blood in the water.

Clinton doing this well is pretty surprising. Speaks well to her ground game. Sanders will of course crush in NH, but after that it's not a good time for him.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

If Rubio beats trump that's likely going to be the start of the end for trumps campaign. It means the national polls are fairly weak for him as a predictor, and that's going to be blood in the water.

Clinton doing this well is pretty surprising. Speaks well to her ground game. Sanders will of course crush in NH, but after that it's not a good time for him.

Maybe surprising to someone who didn't look at any polls for the last year, but not to anyone else. :lol:

It's surprising for people who have been flooded with polls saying Sanders is leading in Iowa for the last two weeks. I agree - if you're a Sanders supporter who apparently hasn't been near the internet for the last year this is a Big Momentous Thing.

It's otherwise surprising given that the polls had been so positive for Sanders recently.

But I suspect you know this and are just trying to spin this to make yourself a bit more optimistic.

Archived