A Dragon did wake from Stone and She has Three heads and Her name is Daenerys Targaryen

Drogonthedread

1 hour ago, MoIaF said:

Just wanted to go back to the Undying. 

In the scene where the Undying are trying to consume Dany's life-force, it is Drogon who destroys the rotting heart and eventually the Undying. I think this is very important and perhaps symbolic of what we will see towards the end of the War for Dawn, fire will destroy the rotting heart of The Heart of Winter. 

Hard to believe but I also happened to read how all that happened at the HotU is not really about  Daenerys.

Anyway

On your other posts you highlighted how Daenerys has been fighting the "Othiers" symbolically through her journey, for my part I see Daenerys/Drogon destroying the greedy Heart of the Undying as D&D (Daenersy/Drogon) ending the reign of death, one step at a time.

Slavery may be considers death as well as it is the end of humanity. She also ended the death of Dragons by waking the Dragons from stone, (fossilized eggs=stones, mind blown!)

Again that is pure speculation on my part quite different from what the OP did. OP used textual evidence, while I am making logical leapt on my own choice. Not as reliable.

I suppose a parallel between Euron and death can be made.

And of course the Others and how they rule over death.

So I can see D&D devouring the Heart of Winter. I also believe the Dragons to be Lightbringer.

1 hour ago, MoIaF said:

Indeed - she was never seeking to fulfill a prophecy or become even a savior. These things she did out of instinct. She stepped into the pyre because she felt instinctively that what she had to do in order to hatch the dragons. She freed the slaves, because she knew in her gut that was the right thing to do. Her journey is not a red herring for a different character it's a road map to who she will become by the end the series. 

This 100 times. Nobosy is riding Drogon except Dany. I mean he's literally named after her dead husband. There bond began from before he was even hatched when she dram about him the night before her wedding to Drogo

These two will be together until the very end and if Dany dies, Drogon will die with her. 

Now you are being silly. The black dragon she dreams before her wedding is actually Jon. Atleast that is what I was told once on this forum.

Seriosuly though the fact that George has built up this bond between Dany and Drogon for 5 books now culminating at the end of ADWD of her finally gaining control and becoming a dragon rider to think that another character is just going to mount Drogon while she is still alive is just ridiculous to me. I cannot fathom how anyone thinks this would be good storytelling at all.

15 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

If you think dany brings dragons to jon and  bending knee ...yes she plays the major role.

Her character would still be the most consequential even if it happens as you said because she birthed the dragons. That's why the constant need of her detractors to diminish the birth of the dragons and to villainize them to the extent that they need Ice demons to kill them. And the obsession with a hero with a flaming sword though GRRM points it is fake. 

Dany will still be the most consequential character shared with Bran in the story. 

17 hours ago, TheWhiteDevil said:

Hard to believe but I also happened to read how all that happened at the HotU is not really about  Daenerys.

Anyway

On your other posts you highlighted how Daenerys has been fighting the "Othiers" symbolically through her journey, for my part I see Daenerys/Drogon destroying the greedy Heart of the Undying as D&D (Daenersy/Drogon) ending the reign of death, one step at a time.

Slavery may be considers death as well as it is the end of humanity. She also ended the death of Dragons by waking the Dragons from stone, (fossilized eggs=stones, mind blown!)

Again that is pure speculation on my part quite different from what the OP did. OP used textual evidence, while I am making logical leapt on my own choice. Not as reliable.

I suppose a parallel between Euron and death can be made.

And of course the Others and how they rule over death.

So I can see D&D devouring the Heart of Winter. I also believe the Dragons to be Lightbringer.

I can see how all three of these (Undying, Slavers, and Euron) are also representative of death and the destruction of humanity. 

GRRM calls the Others inhuman, which is defined as: lacking human qualities of compassion and mercy; cruel and barbarian. This sounds to me like the Undying, the Slavers and Euron. All three have a lack of compassion and mercy for other humans. 

Like you, I also believe that the dragons are Lightbringer and it would seem fitting that they are the ones to destroy the Heart of Winter. 

I love the imagery from the HOTU - were blue becomes orange/red, cold becomes warm, rotten flesh is burnt away. The description of the Undying sounds very similar to Wights. 

We knew you were to come to us,” the wizard king said. “A thousand years ago we knew, and have been waiting all this time. We sent the comet to show you the way.”

A long stone table filled this room. Above it floated a human heart, swollen and blue with corruption, yet still alive. It beat, a deep ponderous throb of sound, and each pulse sent out a wash of indigo light. The figures around the table were no more than blue shadows. As Dany walked to the empty chair at the foot of the table, they did not stir, nor speak, nor turn to face her. There was no sound but the slow, deep beat of the rotting heart.

Through the indigo murk, she could make out the wizened features of the Undying One to her right, an old old man, wrinkled and hairless. His flesh was a ripe violet-blue, his lips and nails bluer still, so dark they were almost black. Even the whites of his eyes were blue. They stared unseeing at the ancient woman on the opposite side of the table, whose gown of pale silk had rotted on her body. One withered breast was left bare in the Qartheen manner, to show a pointed blue nipple hard as leather.

drink from the cup of ice … drink from the cup of fire … … mother of dragons … child of three …

Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. “Mother!” they cried. “Mother, mother!” They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them …

But then black wings buffeted her round the head, and a scream of fury cut the indigo air, and suddenly the visions were gone, ripped away, and Dany’s gasp turned to horror. The Undying were all around her, blue and cold, whispering as they reached for her, pulling, stroking, tugging at her clothes, touching her with their dry cold hands, twining their fingers through her hair. All the strength had left her limbs. She could not move. Even her heart had ceased to beat. She felt a hand on her bare breast, twisting her nipple. Teeth found the soft skin of her throat. A mouth descended on one eye, licking, sucking, biting

Then indigo turned to orange, and whispers turned to screams. Her heart was pounding, racing, the hands and mouths were gone, heat washed over her skin, and Dany blinked at a sudden glare. Perched above her, the dragon spread his wings and tore at the terrible dark heart, ripping the rotten flesh to ribbons, and when his head snapped forward, fire flew from his open jaws, bright and hot.

ETA: Also, we have the connection between the Undying and Euron. His kidnapping of Pyat Pree and the othe warlocks as well as his use of Shades of the Evening. 

17 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Now you are being silly. The black dragon she dreams before her wedding is actually Jon. Atleast that is what I was told once on this forum.

Seriosuly though the fact that George has built up this bond between Dany and Drogon for 5 books now culminating at the end of ADWD of her finally gaining control and becoming a dragon rider to think that another character is just going to mount Drogon while she is still alive is just ridiculous to me. I cannot fathom how anyone thinks this would be good storytelling at all.

This hurts me in my hurty place. This bond is integral to Dany's character, he's a physical representation of the dragon that she is. Drogon is Dany. 

5 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Her character would still be the most consequential even if it happens as you said because she birthed the dragons. That's why the constant need of her detractors to diminish the birth of the dragons and to villainize them to the extent that they need Ice demons to kill them. And the obsession with a hero with a flaming sword though GRRM points it is fake. 

Dany will still be the most consequential character shared with Bran in the story. 

Well, yes. She brought the dragons back and they're about the only thing that will be able to save humanity. 

The funny thing is that they diminish the dragons until Jon has one because you know, he's Jon. 

I like Jon but I really wish they'd stop trying to give everything that is Dany to him. No, he's not the three heads of the dragon on his own, he's not a child of three, and he will not ride Drogon. 

1 hour ago, MoIaF said:

I can see how all three of these (Undying, Slavers, and Euron) are also representative of death and the destruction of humanity. 

GRRM calls the Others inhuman, which is defined as: lacking human qualities of compassion and mercy; cruel and barbarian. This sounds to me like the Undying, the Slavers and Euron. All three have a lack of compassion and mercy for other humans. 

Like you, I also believe that the dragons are Lightbringer and it would seem fitting that they are the ones to destroy the Heart of Winter. 

I love the imagery from the HOTU - were blue becomes orange/red, cold becomes warm, rotten flesh is burnt away. The description of the Undying sounds very similar to Wights. 

ETA: Also, we have the connection between the Undying and Euron. His kidnapping of Pyat Pree and the othe warlocks as well as his use of Shades of the Evening. 

This hurts me in my hurty place. This bond is integral to Dany's character, he's a physical representation of the dragon that she is. Drogon is Dany. 

Well, yes. She brought the dragons back and they're about the only thing that will be able to save humanity. 

The funny thing is that they diminish the dragons until Jon has one because you know, he's Jon. 

I like Jon but I really wish they'd stop trying to give everything that is Dany to him. No, he's not the three heads of the dragon on his own, he's not a child of three, and he will not ride Drogon. 

Iam so glad you are here MoIaF

17 hours ago, El Guapo said:

For all the talk of foreshadowings and clues and characterisation and how its structured it seems all that goes out of window when it come to dany ...

You guys say that drogon came to dany in dreams even before she hatched them and named after drogon..how can it stand against jon wears black and drogon is black..

Like MOIaf said As someone who started as a guy that loved jon most and still loves him... I wish that some people are not so blinded and biased

17 hours ago, TheWhiteDevil said:

I cannot even picture someone else riding Drogon. If Daenerys dies, Drogon dies with her. 

Of that I am sure as sure one can be without having read the final books.

Super sure.

I hope now you realized why I made that sarcastic comment.

19 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Sometimes a stone is just a stone. People read way too much into things. I always find it quite arrogant though that in a chapter that is all about Dany realizing who she is and embracing it there are some readers who still want to try to make it about Jon.

Yes That's really the right word you chose el guapo ...after last week debacle we witnessed in the GOT section iam starting to believe that's the case with all of them..

And its a damn shame

20 hours ago, MoIaF said:

Love the OP, very thorough and well documented. Thank you for putting it together.

The funny thing is that although both Benerro and Maester Aemon believe that Dany is AAR she herself is not aware of AAR or really TPTWP. She hears Rhaegar call his son Aegon TPTWP but doesn't really think about what that means and we never again hear her think about it. While on the other hand Jon is very much aware of who AAR is, not only from Melissandre but also from Maester Aemon who has him read a passage in the the Jade Compendium about it. Add to that the fact that he has dreamnt of himself wielding a fiery sword.

To Dany this prophecy is unknown and yet she has on her own merit fulfilled it unbeknownst to her. That's the beauty of it, isn't it, she has gone about her path in life as she believe she should go. She think about what the Undying said to her and yet it never really influences her path. She thinks that Daario might be one of her betrayers and yet continues her love affair with him. 

As GRRM has said, Dany (and her dragons) are the Fire in The Song of Ice and Fire, the Others are her ultimate foil. 

The Undying called her Slayer of Lies, and those three lies they showed her were: a false king (Aegon), a false savior (Stannis) and false Valyrian (Euron) who is trying to bring the old Vayria back, empossing his dominance over the entire Planetos. But he won't succeed because Dany a true Valyrian doesn't believe in what the old Valyrians use to believe in, which was dominance and the oppression of others. The irony is that Dany the true Valyrian has used her dragons to free the people of Salver's Bay and perhaps Volantis, while the Old Valyrians had used them to enslave the ancestors of these very same people. 

Additionally, GRRM has been preparing Dany to fight the Others. While Jon has been fighting them literally, Dany has been fighting them symbolically. We first see this with her victory over the Undying, a cold (blue) ancient order with a putrid heart who were trying to suck the life right out of her.  Then, we see her battle against the slavers, and their oppression and control over other human beings. Finally, we'll see her face off against Euron who both encompass the Undying and the slavers, he'll be her toughest opponent as he is a foil to her. Ultimately, the Undying, the slaver of Slaver's Bay and Euron are representation of the Others, cold (blue), a putrid hear called the Heart of Winter, who use and control human bodies to do their work, and they want to impose their dominance over the Plantos . Because the Others are Slavers of the Dead, they are trying to extinguish the life of the Planetos. 

Thanks you for your kind words..

And your beautifully detailed post is why I get irritated whenever someone uses that GRRM quote or say obvious...

1 hour ago, Drogonthedread said:

Iam so glad you are here MoIaF

Thank you - glad to be here. 

I posted this in the GoT forum discussing AAR and TPTWP but I think it might also be relevant here. It's a connection between the dragons and Lightbringer:

Another interesting connection between the dragons and Lightbringer is the Qarthian origin story of dragons From AGOT:

“He told me the moon was an egg, Khaleesi,” the Lysene girl said. “Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return."

Compare that to the story of how AAR forged Lightbringer:

"The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon."

And now let's compare that to the birth of Dany's dragons:

"She heard a crack, the sound of shattering stone. The platform of wood and brush and grass began to shift and collapse in upon itself. Bits of burning wood slid down at her, and Dany was showered with ash and cinders. And something else came crashing down, bouncing and rolling, to land at her feet; a chunk of curved rock, pale and veined with gold, broken and smoking. The roaring filled the world, yet dimly through the firefall Dany heard women shriek and children cry out in wonder.

Only death can pay for life.

And there came a second crack, loud and sharp as thunder, and the smoke stirred and whirled around her and the pyre shifted, the logs exploding as the fire touched their secret hearts. She heard the screams of frightened horses, and the voices of the Dothraki raised in shouts of fear and terror, and Ser Jorah calling her name and cursing. No, she wanted to shout to him, no, my good knight, do not fear for me. The fire is mine. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don’t you see? Don’t you SEE? With a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky, the pyre collapsed and came down around her. Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children.

The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world."

This is very specific wording used by GRRM, he knows how to use his words carefully. The cracking of the moon or the eggs is what ties in the birth of the dragons with the creation of Lightbringer. Also note the smoke is whirling around Dany, i.e. born amongst smoke and salt (Dothraki sea)

10 minutes ago, MoIaF said:

I posted this in the GoT forum discussing AAR and TPTWP but I think it might also be relevant here. It's a connection between the dragons and Lightbringer:

Another interesting connection between the dragons and Lightbringer is the Qarthian origin story of dragons From AGOT:

This is very specific wording used by GRRM, he knows how to use his words carefully. The cracking of the moon or the eggs is what ties in the birth of the dragons with the creation of Lightbringer. Also note the smoke is whirling around Dany, i.e. born amongst smoke and salt (Dothraki sea)

Love those quotes..

Add that with dany calling drogo sun and stars and drogo calling dany moon of life ..here dany reverses the gender in AA tale..

When sun and moon came together dragons born out of moon..

And tyrion and illyrio both mention how dany was reborn at dothraki sea..

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

If I am correct it is called Schadenfreude. After all some have said the same thing so it would be fun.

I have yet to read anyone wishing for Jon to be humiliated, violated, to lose the respect of  his men, to lose ghost and to have his story-arc reduced to a ladder for someone else to step upon.

Granted I'm relatively new here. You surely know better and after all if gloating over others misfortunes brings you joy, gloat away. 

4 minutes ago, TheWhiteDevil said:

I have yet to read anyone wishing for Jon to be humiliated, violated, to lose the respect of  his men, to lose ghost and to have his story-arc reduced to a ladder for someone else to step upon.

Granted I'm relatively new here. You surely know better and after all if gloating over others misfortunes brings you joy, gloat away. 

Well no one said that all those things have to happen in Dany or that I would like to happen to Dany. Just that she will not be St Dany the Dragon that her fans seem to believe that she is. That simple.

7 hours ago, MoIaF said:

Your posts are amazing.

The Undying are absolutely reminesent of the Others, their need to "feed" off Daenerys's life is absurdly similar to the Other modus operandi, since their army is created by replacing life with death. It can be equated to feeding off life. 

In George's universe fire and its warm is often related to life while ice and cold are associated with death.

Often Maester Aemon's quote about fire destroying and ice preserving is used to dismiss this concept. Yet what is ice preserving? Death. And what is fire consuming again and again? Death. See the Undying and the Slaves.

Blue becomes red and cold becomes warm. And the Master's face, (the face of slavery) is melted away in a fashion terribly similar to how AA is described to having killed a monster in the Jade Compendium.

I see Danenerys's journey as an endless march, she know she has to keep moving on and many of her steps are instinctive, still hers nonetheless. No magic's hand is guiding her. Matter of fact, she has to fight magic and her "supposed" destiny in the HotU, magic had been waiting for her for a thousand years, to feed from her, not to nourish her or guide her. Her pattern, her wondrous journey iis constructed upon her choices.

I find this absolutely fascinating as opposed to the reluctant hero that needs to be pushed and pleaded or scared into action.

However her journey seems to contain a certain element of pre-destination and yet is feels like she is in a race with destiny, she is not waiting for destiny to pick her.

Once she stopped in Meeren, Drogon the mirror of her own self went wild. The very moment she stopped following her instinct to substitute common sense to it.

Another instance which highlights the mirror like bond between Drogon and Daenerys.

Drogon that saved her in the HotU, Drogon that melted the Master's face, Drogon that refused the floppy ears, Drogon that took her away from the Meeren's hell, Drogon that will represent humanity's fire, their will to live against the Others. Drogon is Daenerys's Fure made flesh. She is the True Dragon.

I apologize for my posts appearing as a swirl of words. I get rambley when writing.

4 hours ago, MoIaF said:

These passages are so beautifully written that I would hate for them to be wasted.

The Dragons's Birth, the Forging of Lightbringer and the Two Moon  legends, could be the same story told in three different ways. These parallel are very clear once one pays attentions,meet they are different enough in the telling that spotting them takes a closer look,

Those are some of my favorite excerpts from the books.

37 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Well no one said that all those things have to happen in Dany or that I would like to happen to Dany. Just that she will not be St Dany the Dragon that her fans seem to believe that she is. That simple.

I get it now. Thanks for elaborating.

17 minutes ago, TheWhiteDevil said:

Your posts are amazing.

The Undying are absolutely reminesent of the Others, their need to "feed" off Daenerys's life is absurdly similar to the Other modus operandi, since their army is created by replacing life with death. It can be equated to feeding off life. 

In George's universe fire and its warm is often related to life while ice and cold are associated with death.

Often Maester Aemon's quote about fire destroying and ice preserving is used to dismiss this concept. Yet what is ice preserving? Death. And what is fire consuming again and again? Death. See the Undying and the Slaves.

Blue becomes red and cold becomes warm. And the Master's face, (the face of slavery) is melted away in a fashion terribly similar to how AA is described to having killed a monster in the Jade Compendium.

I see Danenerys's journey as an endless march, she know she has to keep moving on and many of her steps are instinctive, still hers nonetheless. No magic's hand is guiding her. Matter of fact, she has to fight magic and her "supposed" destiny in the HotU, magic had been waiting for her for a thousand years, to feed from her, not to nourish her or guide her. Her pattern, her wondrous journey iis constructed upon her choices.

I find this absolutely fascinating as opposed to the reluctant hero that needs to be pushed and pleaded or scared into action.

However her journey seems to contain a certain element of pre-destination and yet is feels like she is in a race with destiny, she is not waiting for destiny to pick her.

Once she stopped in Meeren, Drogon the mirror of her own self went wild. The very moment she stopped following her instinct to substitute common sense to it.

Another instance which highlights the mirror like bond between Drogon and Daenerys.

Drogon that saved her in the HotU, Drogon that melted the Master's face, Drogon that refused the floppy ears, Drogon that took her away from the Meeren's hell, Drogon that will represent humanity's fire, their will to live against the Others. Drogon is Daenerys's Fure made flesh. She is the True Dragon.

I apologize for my posts appearing as a swirl of words. I get rambley when writing.

You are doing fine and I love your posts..

One thing about dany  and destiny is how the house with red door will come into play ..

I always believe that this will be last moments of dany where she believes that there won't be a red door or she actually finds it in when sacrificing herself

whenever I think about this I can't stop thinking about the dragon dream where she is running from a cold darkness and icy breath which makes her afraid so much ..

Eventually she gets out of that place where her ancestors guide her way and make her reborn as Last Dragon .

And how this will all connect with one another ..

But one thing for sure when it does happen those will be another beautifully written chpaters

25 minutes ago, Drogonthedread said:

You are doing fine and I love your posts..

One thing about dany  and destiny is how the house with red door will come into play ..

I always believe that this will be last moments of dany where she believes that there won't be a red door or she actually finds it in when sacrificing herself

whenever I think about this I can't stop thinking about the dragon dream where she is running from a cold darkness and icy breath which makes her afraid so much ..

Eventually she gets out of that place where her ancestors guide her way and make her reborn as Last Dragon .

And how this will all connect with one another ..

But one thing for sure when it does happen those will be another beautifully written chpaters

Thanks. I love writing in this thread.

The Red Door may certainly come into play later on.

Her Dragon dreams are ripe with symbolism and possible foreshadowing, too bad no topic about them exsist.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:27 AM, khal drogon said:

If Jon turned out to be a warrior with a flaming sword and AA I would not be surprised thanks to his not so subtle hints. Spelling something out is not an indication of a red herring and I expect Jon to be spelled out as AA by Melisandre much before the War for Dawn starts. So that is not really a support argument for you.

And a red herring is something the author leads you to believe in a way but it is really not. That does not depend only on how the in-universe characters perceive it. So that doesn't mean Jon could not be a red herring. Also GRRM already have a red herring called Stannis already. I don't understand the need for another one. Anyways being AA or not Dany clearly has a major role to play in the events of Westeros, a thing even her detractors can't deny.

Spelling something out explicitly in the text before the prophesied event occurs is a red herring in ASOIAF. In TMK, Daemon II believed his prophecy meant an actual dragon hatching before the event occurred only for it to refer to Egg. Jojen gave a prophecy of Ramsay killing Bran and Rickon and skinning their bodies only for it to be the millers' sons. Those hints are subtle given it isn't outright spelled out. It usually takes some rereading to find those hints for Jon. Prophecies aren't made cleat until the events they refer to occur. 

There's no rule that says there can't be two red herrings. I don't think Stannis was that much believable in the first place, but that's just my opinion. People are explicitly calling Dany AA: Aemon and the High Priest of the Red Faith, Benerro. That is without saying that making it Dany violates GRRM's own words regarding prophecy: 

Prophecies are, you know, a double edge sword. You have to handle them very carefully; I mean, they can add depth and interest to a book, but you don’t want to be too literal or too easy

On February 7, 2016 at 0:09 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

I hate to say tldr... but it was so long that I didn't finish. Ultimately, my (bad) feeling/guess is that 'dragon from stone' is figurative and refers to a grayscale epidemic.

Right there with you. I'm convinced that the stone beast is a character that hasn't been fully introduced yet, just hints.  

Archived