Twin Peaks - Double R Diner Now Open!

AncalagonTheBlack

I loved watching this when I was a kid, that I know. Now I don't remember a lot except Laura Palmer's mystery death, weird music,some weird characters, a tall man, Palmer's creepy dad, the detective eating tasty strawberry pie in a cafe. I watched "Fire Come Walk with me" at the cinema. This was all back in the early 90's so I need to refresh my memory a bit.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

About to watch the new season.It seems the first 4 episodes are already streaming.

So much to unpack in the first two hours.  We had a big group watching at a party and decided to stop there.  Lynch didn't disappoint.  I think my main disappointment was the non-participation of Michael Ontkean, although having Deputy Chief Hawk made up for it a bit.  It was bittersweet to see the Log Lady.

I need to re-watch and digest some more, but wow, it's off to an epic start.  Who else jumped about three feet in the glass-box scene?

I had always been a casual viewer of the show, catching reruns and the movie when it was on. But with the return of the show I caught the marathon yesterday and being sick in bed I had plenty of time to watch and google the odder bits. I'm REALLY glad I did because that two-parter last night was phenomenal.  

I liked that it didn't dawdle going down memory lane. It showed the original scene with Laura and Cooper when she told him that she'll see him in 25 years and then plowed forward. We got a few scenes with people from the original but I was more riveted by the new stories. That glass-box thing was pure Twin Peaks. So was the neighbor lady from the apartment scene. Egads! :lmao:

I found the casting to be very clever as well. We see Kyle MacLaughlin, Sheryl Lee, Madchen Amick 25 years later but we also see Madeline Zima (the little girl from The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and The Nanny) ALL GROWN UP (yeah, I know she also came out in Californication) as well as goofy Matt Lillard from Scream and Scooby Doo as the accused principal. Seeing those two hit me even harder regarding how much time has passed since the show was on the air.

I watched all four episodes last night as soon as they came on the showtime app. This is like Lynch's magnum opus. There were bits derived from his films in there, in particular some things obviously representative of Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. Someone finally gave him the budget and artistic freedom to go full Lynchian, I always wondered what that would be like, I'm glad I'm getting to see it.

Okay so this is a show I've watched twice, but both times I gave up on it at some point in Season 2. Loved the first chunk of s1 but then it became unwatchable drivel.

Anyway, I'm wondering if finishing it is required to watch S3?

1 hour ago, dooog said:

Okay so this is a show I've watched twice, but both times I gave up on it at some point in Season 2. Loved the first chunk of s1 but then it became unwatchable drivel.

How far did you get through S2? You should at least watch the last episode (what was for 25 years the series finale), probably the penultimate as well, but the last you really need to understand all the black lodge stuff.

Trying to watch this from the start. I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. The problem for me (and it's something that Lynch is good at) is that it scare the shit out of me. Not the murders or weird talking dwarves but very specifically the guy who appears behind of furniture and the effect that has on Laura Palmer's mother. That shit really scares me to the point I get paranoid walking around my flat after dark. Overactive imagination I guess.

I presume that kind of thing occurs throughout? In which case I'll have to watch this during daylight or try and recruit someone to watch it with me.

It reminded me of the scene in Mulholland drive where the person behind the dumpster appeared. Credit to Lynch for being able to scare me though.

Frustrating as I like all the other aspects - especially the characters and soundtrack.

6 hours ago, dooog said:

I agree that s2 was less wellwritten than s1 and there were certain storylines that were simply ridiculous but the last episode in particular is really good, it contains certain trully frightening scenes and it is definitely memorable.

I do believe that it is essential to watch the s2 finale in order to understand the new episodes.

12 hours ago, dooog said:

Watch episode 1-9 of season two, as well as the season finale (episode 22). You can skip the episodes in between.

Going solely of my recollection from 25 years ago... wasn't the big reveal of "Who killed Laura Palmer" some time before the end of season 2? Say half way to 3/4 of the way through the season? I'd have thought anyone watching it now may wish to watch that episode too (unfortunately, I have no idea which actual episode it is).

And the question is somewhat pertinent to me as well. My wife had never seen the show originally, so I started doing a rewatch with her a month or so ago, in preparation for the new show. We got through the fist season and her interest predictably waned early in the second. We're sort of planning to try and pick it up again and plough through the rest of season two, though, But I'm no sure how successful we'll be. (Hearing such positive comments here re the new continuation is giving us extra motivation to do so).

Okay... my google-fu tells me that the killer is revealed in episode

of season 2. So people might be well served to watch at least that episode, or to watch all the season 2 episodes up to that point (and maybe one or two after to see the immediate aftermath). Then maybe they can skip ahead to the final episode.

Edit:

Oops... scratch that. Reading more, apparently the killer is "revealed" in episode

and "umasked" in episode 

On 5/22/2017 at 1:04 PM, The Monkey said:

Seen the first three episodes now. It's stunningly brave and brilliant work thus far. The campy soap elements has been erased completely from the narrative, and the surreal horror amped up a thousand times.

I'm really enjoying it so far -- to be honest, I miss some of the campy soap elements. To me, they are such a great juxtaposition against the surreal horror (which is also great).

For right now, I don't love the number of storylines that are ongoing -- but I think the limited run is long enough that they should come together nice. A lot of new characters ...

Michael Cera was completely absurd, hilarious, and bizarrely unnecessary and a bit out of place. Still, I liked that scene.

On 23/05/2017 at 3:56 PM, The Monkey said:

Watch episode 1-9 of season two, as well as the season finale (episode 22). You can skip the episodes in between.

This is useful info thanks. It seems fairly universal that the show took a nosedive. I wonder whether it was a case of the writers padding a short season into a full one?

Is the film of any use?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

This is useful info thanks. It seems fairly universal that the show took a nosedive. I wonder whether it was a case of the writers padding a short season into a full one?

Is the film of any use?

Network interference was part of the problem. In the original concept Lynch and Frost had no intention of ever resolving Laura Palmer's murder, it was just a backdoor into TP and the characters. But, the show became a huge hit largely centered around "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" marketing. When they ended the short first season without solving the case, some people were upset and the network told them that they had to give a resolution shortly into season 2. Lynch was pretty disillusioned and went off to film Wild at Heart without contributing creatively to the middle section of the season. Frost didn't seem to know quite how to hit the Lynchian vibe on his own, the supernatural stuff became a lot more on the nose and less surreal and the soapy stuff became even soapier.  

Lynch came back at the end of the season and directed the final episode which remains the wildest thing ever aired on American network television. He has always maintained that he hoped there would be a third season and the last episode was meant to give the show new direction rather than act as a series finale.

I don't know if the original idea of not solving the murder would have ever been accepted by audiences. People likely would have been abandoned the show anywayif season 2 ended with the murder unsolved.

Season 2 had a lot of studio interference and Lynch leaving mid season as Morpheus said, and I know some storylines were dropped/modified because, for example, the actress playing Donna (Lara Flynn Boyle) was going out with Kyle MacLachlan (Agent Cooper) and was jealous of the Audrey/Cooper romance so Kyle started to say that it should'nt happen.

I found an interview with Sherilyn Fenn talking about it 

and what happened was that Lara. Flynn Boyle was dating Kyle MacLachlan, and she was mad that my character was getting more attention, so then Kyle started saying that his character shouldn’t be with my character because it doesn’t look good, ’cause I’m too young. Literally, because of that, they brought in Heather Graham—who’s younger than I am—for him and Billy Zane for me. I was not happy about it. It was stupid.

In the same interview she says Lynch had an idea of doing a spin off or a movie with Audrey in Hollywood and eventually that idea became Mulholland Drive. Interesting.

Crazy and fairly unprofessional how actors personal lives were affecting the storytelling. I guess it's tricky when it's your lead actor making the requests. Still seems pretty childish - although I guess the storyline could change a lot from the casting pitches.

Interesting how the show's drop off co-incides with Lynches deparature.

I guess the new show will benefit a lot from less of this bullshit in terms of studio interference and I imagine the original cast will be more professional now they are older or they wouldn't have been brought back in. The apparent lack of Lara Flynn boyle suggests there's maybe a "if you don't like it as it is, don't return"

Ah, I had read there was some tensions between Lara Flynn Boyle and the rest of the cast but hadn't read why. Good to know. As far as the movie, it's probably not important unless you want to see exactly what happened before Laura Palmer died. It also shows the investigation of the prior victim that was killed a couple of years before the start of the series. The movie got poor reviews but I did like it. 

On 5/24/2017 at 9:17 PM, The Unborn said:

I found an interview with Sherilyn Fenn talking about it 

Kyle MacLachlan and Sherilyn Fenn are actually closer in age in real life than they were on the show - MacLachlan was in his early 30s and Fenn was in her mid 20s at the time. That said Cooper rejecting Audrey on the basis of her age honestly didn't strike me as out of character personally. The really obviously forced Annie/John Justice Wheeler romances were lame though. 

On 5/23/2017 at 5:24 AM, red snow said:

It reminded me of the scene in Mulholland drive where the person behind the dumpster appeared. Credit to Lynch for being able to scare me though.

God, the Mulholland Drive bum still scares the ever loving shit out of me. At least BOB had those hammy moments like "WHAT HAPPENED TO JOSIE COOP!?" that made him sort of oddly endearing...or as endearing as a transdimensioal rapist/murderer spirit can be anyway.

Archived