Twin Peaks - Double R Diner Now Open!

AncalagonTheBlack

Finished season 1. the lack of Bob made the last few episodes less disturbing.

I'll really curious if the new show has the same cheesily endearing characters as I'm finding it hard to discern whether that's just how tv was back in the 90s or if they were deliberately written that way. It does make for a nice contrast with the darker moments though.

The opening to season 2 was great with the old room service guy totally failing to recognise Cooper was in need of help and Cooper's bizarre reaction to that.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:58 PM, Trebla said:

Ah, I had read there was some tensions between Lara Flynn Boyle and the rest of the cast but hadn't read why. Good to know. As far as the movie, it's probably not important unless you want to see exactly what happened before Laura Palmer died. It also shows the investigation of the prior victim that was killed a couple of years before the start of the series. The movie got poor reviews but I did like it. 

Well the movie is in a very Lynch way both a prequel and a sequel to the tv series. Of course it got bad reviews, it was the 90s, Twin Peaks was a success but still many people were not familiar with the Twin Peaks mythology. I think that if they had access to contemporary technology (i phones, social media) more people all over the world would be aware of the show.

Spoiler

The 2nd season ends with a sinister Cooper hitting his head against a mirror and creepily yelling "How's Annie". In the movie Laura has a vision of Annie warning her that the bad Coop is out whereas good Coop is still in the Black Lodge. This clarifies the cliffhanger.

• 2 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about this here. 

See, so far The Return is the perfect revival for me. All other 'revivals' so far have felt like nostalgia milking cash grabs, or creators actually being under the delusion that a dead horse can be made to run on fumes. This show feels like there's a story left to be told, and I'm all for it.

Lynch has always been a real hit or miss for me. Love Mulholland Drive, hate Inland Empire. There are certain areas he's really bad at, but some areas where the man OWNS. Nobody builds tension like David Lynch. The man's a master at using every film making audio and visual trick to create suspense (people go gaga over his visuals but his strongest suit has always been sounds and noises; that phonograph for example)The Glass Box (I really hope they explain that) and the blind lady scene in the rose-colored room that was all jumpy editing with the banging was the most unnerving for me in the series premier. Ep 1 and 2 were more Mulholland than TP, but that was duely rectified in Ep 3,4 and 5.The show's making good use of old and new cast members alike ; deploying nostalgia just right without over doing it (Lol at Jacobi's gold shovels schemes ; also Nadine is exactly where she would be 25 years later).

I originally though Cooper was possessing Dougie. Cooper is not in Dougie's body. Dougie was transported to the Black Lodge and destroyed/reduced to the gold ball. Cooper was transported from the purple room in his own body. This was shown by having several characters state that he has lost weight and has different hair. He also had his Great Northern key in his pocket. On that subject, I originally thought introducing a third Cooper doppelganger was stupid. Now that I think about it (and seeing the direction the show has went in) I love it. 

Also anybody noticing Cooper is being slowly woken from his stupour by coffee ? Lol. Also, Mr Jackpots and Wally Brando :lmao: 

Now, some questions and theorizing 

Spoiler

1 So exactly what the fuck is up with that Glass Box ? Who, how, when, why ?

2 What exactly is Phillip Jeffries's role in all this ?

3 Re. Ep 5, so someone's greenlighted Dougie. Who ? Why ? More importantly, is it Dougie they're after or is it Cooper ?

4 Exactly how many 'rooms' are there ?

5 EvilCooper ; what has he been up to and why ?

6 Who the hell is Mr Strawberries ? What's up with that jail and that warden anyway ?

7 How the hell is Matthew Lillard's principal invovled in all this ? Why is he being set up ?

8 Argentina ?

I am loving The Return, I am however a big Lynch fan, so I can see why some people who were specifically TP fans might be disappointed. This is really Lynch doing whatever he wants using the show as his sandbox. In a real way it acts as a retrospective of his whole career, there a bits of Eraserhead in there, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, etc. They are consciously frustrating folks who want a simple nostalgia trip. 

Someone asked about Fire Walk With Me up thread, and It is definitely essential viewing for the new show. Tonally they are similar and a least one movie only character plays some unknown role in the series.

Most of those questions above are still way up in the air

Spoiler

Phillip Jeffries is of course David Bowie's character from FWWM and he was evidently scheduled to reprise the role before his death. He was on a case in Argentina before he went missing and made his mysterious appearance in FWWM.  The Missing Pieces scenes deleted from the movie have an extended take on his scene which definitely should have been included in full.

He was clearly suffering some temporal dislocation when he was in the FBI office and I think a line that is key is when he points at Cooper and asks "who do you think this is right here?" That would appear to indicate that he had already met Dark Coop in some capacity. Whatever he was working on in Argentina was important. What the black box is or why he wanted Dark Coop dead... who knows?

As for who wants to kill Dougie, he owes someone money, maybe they got tired of waiting, oooor someone knows that Cooper would be popping up in place of Dougie. Electrical socket portals and Red Rooms being above the pay grade of your average hitman, it may have just been easier to tell them DJ was the target and he needed to be killed after a certain time on a certain day.

Have reached episode 10 of season 2. It does look that the show instantly stumbles after the revelation of the murderer. Oddly though it does pick up on plot threads that appeared to have been abandoned for a couple of episodes like the food critic and Lucy's baby.

I think I'll try and watch the whole thing for the sake of completion although it sounds as if the new show is very much Lynch's and he's on record for hating the parts of season 2 he wasn't involved in so I suspect this weaker run of episodes probably won't feature too much.

It is shaky for 7 or 8 episodes, however it picks up steam late and the ending is vital to the new series. Have your cell or other device handy to occupy youself through the most boring stuff, through the James and the Josy of it all.

I think a weird problem starting with episode 10 is that the darkness leaves the series with BOB and Leland for a while. It all becomes overbearingly soapy or slapsticky, even the frame job surrounding Cooper plays like a a standard procedural. A big part of Twin Peaks at its best is how effectively it changes moods at the drop of a hat from melodramatic to funny to horrifying to just plain weird over consecutive scenes.

8 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

Am I the only one that findes the new episodes boring? I loved the original 2 season, and i didn't even mind the problematic eps in season 2, because i loved the characters. But now, I don;t care about anyone. Even Cooper..

Well do you like Lynch's movies ?

Even though I get your point, I wouldn't called the episodes boring. I am mostly bored during some scenes that are completely stretched out, but then a couple hours later I think about those scenes and what was so good about it. It seems Lynch is slowly bringing us back into Twin Peaks. I believe last episode was the episode that spent the most time in the actual town.

What I don't like is that there seems to be way too many characters, and so far most of the original cast only appeared randomly and it looks all over the place. I know Lynch said he did the show like a 18 hour movie, but fuck when an episode is over I don't feel like the plot went somewhere (and afterwards I feel like it took baby steps). I don't think I can't take 3-4 more episodes of Coop like that. And we need some more Briggs !

I love the show, but binge watching it would make it so much better.

On 2017-06-13 at 1:07 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I have no idea what the hell is going on.... and I can't stop watching.

Hel-loooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about the bunnies!

... Is it about the bunnies?

I saw the first 3 episodes while visiting my parents and loved them. It seems unlike almost anything else on TV; slow and deliberate, but fascinating. And really hammering home how far ahead of its time the original series was (I know there are differences between the original series and this, but both have a lot in common with Lost, and the original beats that by 15 (?) years. 

I'm just disappointed that I'm home now and don't have access to Showtime anymore.

Up to Ep 6 now, and Oh how I love this series. This is both a blast from the past and so utterly Now. I love how you have to both watch it and meta-watch it at the same time.

The last episode was so shock full with money and death symbols it was coming out of my ears at the end. Awesome.

So...

SPOILERS

Is Richard Horne Audrey's son, or her cousin by Jerry Horne?

Perhaps it was a cheap ploy, but him killing that poor kid actually made me cry, mostly because it was so obvious where it was heading and nothing could stop it. :frown5:

Spoiler

I am guessing Richard is Audrey's son. Who is the father though? It could be Billy Zane's forgettable and useless character. But maybe before leaving Twin Peaks, Evil Coop was not as opposed to taking advantage of a high school girl as his counterpart?

11 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Some reviews kept me away from Secret History. Is it canon, from what I read about it, there is some stuff there I can't imagine Frost and Lynch would necessarily agree about?

It's definitely canon, but it also has some deliberate "mistakes" that are in-character (meaning the person whose compiled certain tidbits may have been in error or purposefully lying).

In addition to tracing the history of the forest, the lodges, and even the Owl ring back to the Lewis & Clark Expedition, there are a number of threads that tie directly into season 3.  (Example as someone mentioned, that Audrey didn't die in the bank explosion).  Tamara Preston is part of the "Framing story" that makes up Secret History.  The fate of Garland Briggs goes right into Bobby's dialgoue in Season 3.  There's more information on Carl Rodd's history. 

Obviously Lynch approves of what's in Secret History.  Even though Mark Frost wrote it, they still collaborated on ideas from it.  I would suggest that people read it sooner than later.  It really adds a lot of depth to what's happening in Season 3.

Also important to the new series are the missing pieces from the Blu Ray set.  There are numerous references/followups to those as well. 

Archived