Twin Peaks - Double R Diner Now Open!

AncalagonTheBlack

wow, people weren't kidding about the nosedive the show takes after revealing the killer of Laura Palmer. It's went from scary to surreal soap/sitcom. The only thing of interest so far has been Duchovny's character which is fun (what is it with the FBI agents being consistently good characters in this show) and seeing some more from Don S Davis (an actor who exuded niceness and affability)

I'm on episode 13 and finding it hard work. From what I can tell it doesn't even feel like anything except the major and his owls and the occasional mention of lodges are really connected to the horror/weirdness of earlier episodes.

Still, I'll soldier on due to my obsessive side.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:50 AM, Morpheus said:

One of the big complaints I read was that Frost attributes a lot of the mysterious goings on to aliens. I think that would be a disappointing direction.

That's not exactly accurate.  There are accounts by characters who believe what they are seeing are aliens, but I think it's clear from the context that the things that people are seeing are connected to the lodge spirits and not extra terrestrials. 

Spoiler

At one point when Douglas Milford is taken by the president to see an "alien" it resembles the gray entity that came out of the glass box and killed the kids in Episode 2.

If you remember back in the original series.  When Major Briggs disappears, there's a bright light and it has all of the typical hallmarks of an alien abduction, but he was taken to the White Lodge. 

13 hours ago, red snow said:

wow, people weren't kidding about the nosedive the show takes after revealing the killer of Laura Palmer. It's went from scary to surreal soap/sitcom. The only thing of interest so far has been Duchovny's character which is fun (what is it with the FBI agents being consistently good characters in this show) and seeing some more from Don S Davis (an actor who exuded niceness and affability)

I'm on episode 13 and finding it hard work. From what I can tell it doesn't even feel like anything except the major and his owls and the occasional mention of lodges are really connected to the horror/weirdness of earlier episodes.

Still, I'll soldier on due to my obsessive side.

Yeah, it jumps the rails for a bit, and frankly whenever you see James you can fast forward and not really miss anything.  (His subplot is pretty terrible). 

The Windom Earle storyline starts picking up soon though and brings it back into focus.

12 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Episode 7 was classic Lynch tho. So much unsettling atmosphere, corridors, people walking in corridors that were just worrisome and very, very unsettling. Good stuff.

This is what I like most about the show although I don't why I enjoy being scared shitless walking around my own flat after watching a TV show.

It seems season 2 has finally became unnerving again with episode 21 in which the appearance of the evil FBI guy unsettles me - even if it's just a case of making him look pale.

Back to morning watching.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Ok part 8 was hands down the weirdest hour of tv I've ever seen. Even for Lynch.  

Yeah...halfway through I said to myself "So THAT'S what tripping on acid must feel like." :eek:

I think I got some of it: the nuclear test tore reality which either trapped BOB in an energy state. Or did it free him? I lean towards the former. The people at the convenient store ( was BOB originally one of them?) were the ones that appeared when BOB-Cooper was shot and did whatever that was to him. 

"Gotta light?" :uhoh:

I am almost completely unfamiliar with surrealism, bit this whole episode (episode 8) had me hooked for every second. I basely understand anything, but I love it all. The art direction (both visual and auditory) is sublime and hugely emotional.  

While I appreciate what Lynch did with his surreal flashback and some of that imagery was beautiful, unsettling, freaky weird, etc, it's not really my cup of tea. This type of thing always tends to lull me to sleep. I had to go back and watch it again to get it all as I started dozing. It says more about me than anything, I'm sure. I like my surrealism in smaller doses. The flashes of color and light inside the mushroom cloud was mesmerizing to me though, I could have watched that for a long, long time. The part I liked best was the woodsmen ghosts coming for Bad Coop after he was shot. That had the right amount of WTF for me.

I liked the parts of it that had some sort of dialogue to go with the images much better. Pure imagery combined with music is what I don't enjoy as much. I kept being reminded of Koyaanisqatsi, which I saw twice during college because the art professors were completely enamored with it. I feel asleep both times and what portions I wasn't dozing through I didn't like. I felt like I was taking crazy pills because apparently I was the only one in that circle who didn't love it and I was constantly being told why I was wrong. Dude, it's art and it's subjective. Let me have my own opinion.

This may be the most self-indulgent worst show on television.  At least the ridiculousness of INTO THE BADLANDS and even FEAR THE WALKING DEAD this season has a "so bad its good appeal."

If someone appreciates this as "Art," fine, or drinks the Lynch KOOL AID... but its just not a great watch.

I dunno, Lynch just made a mushroom cloud explosion strangely moving, that's a pretty big accomplishment there. 

Even though mostly people are concentrating on the Lynch visuals, this episode has more direct ties to Secret History than any of the other episodes. 

19 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

Even though mostly people are concentrating on the Lynch visuals, this episode has more direct ties to Secret History than any of the other episodes. 

Oh for sure there's a lot of storytelling in there. Many people aren't used to seeing art films on the TV screen or at all, so I get why people are reacting to the visuals rather than the story.

On 29/06/2017 at 3:30 AM, generalzod said:

This may be the most self-indulgent worst show on television.  At least the ridiculousness of INTO THE BADLANDS and even FEAR THE WALKING DEAD this season has a "so bad its good appeal."

If someone appreciates this as "Art," fine, or drinks the Lynch KOOL AID... but its just not a great watch.

Some might feel the same about people watching things that are so bad it's good. To each their own.

I've just finished the original run and the film. In many ways the film and the last 20 minutes of the final episode were what my preconceptions of the show were before actually watching it. The red curtain scenes were great and one of the best representations of "otherness" I've seen. I used to be firmly in the spirit/demon camp but there was something so "alien" about those scenes that it did feel like creatures on another wavelength trying really hard to communicate.

The film had all the horror and quirkiness and none of the restrictions of TV. It bodes well for the new show. I can see why the film wasn't popular on release though as it really wouldn't make much sense for someone who hadn't watched the show. It didn't make a whole lot of sense having watched the show!

Was Bobby killing someone ever referenced in the original show? I maybe missed it but that added a whole other level to that character.

Now for the new show.

If you like the lack of restrictions in the original finale and FWWM, the. you will probably like the new series. It features the most creative freedom ever given to any show, you'll notice the divisive opinions about whether it is visionary or self indulgent wank.

Bobby killing a guy was never referenced on the show. I don't think it was concieved until the movie. 

Archived