Twin Peaks - Double R Diner Now Open!

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The blind woman's name is listed as Naido in the Twin Peaks wiki.  Played by an Asian actress.  I don't know, could be Diane but I doubt it. 

Right before she tried to shoot the FBI agents, Diane repeatedly said, "I'm in the sheriff's station. I'm not me". How she may have ended up in that body, I dunno. Naido was the one that helped Cooper in episode 2. Naido is also a near anagram of Diane. 

13 hours ago, Trebla said:

Right before she tried to shoot the FBI agents, Diane repeatedly said, "I'm in the sheriff's station. I'm not me". How she may have ended up in that body, I dunno. Naido was the one that helped Cooper in episode 2. Naido is also a near anagram of Diane. 

Good point.  I saw the near-anagram, but are near-anagrams really a thing?

Oh FFS...thanks for that kick in the balls, David Lynch!!! 

Sigh...there was some major awesomeness, especially in the first episode. But the second part was half confusing/half maddening. I suppose we'll get answers in another 25 years!

The AV Club has an article that spells it out that the story was never about saving the day or solving a problem or a mystery, but finding meaning and connection -- I said the same in the Orphan Black thread describing the structure of both shows and Mr. Robot as a Seeker's Journey.  The structure is used to say something meaningful, but you have to find it yourself.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The AV Club has an article that spells it out that the story was never about saving the day or solving a problem or a mystery, but finding meaning and connection -- I said the same in the Orphan Black thread describing the structure of both shows and Mr. Robot as a Seeker's Journey.  The structure is used to say something meaningful, but you have to find it yourself.

It was kind of inevitable considering Lynch never wanted to reveal Laura Palmer's killer in the original series.

They did provide a lot of closure in the first hour. BOB is finally defeated, Diane is freed, Cooper cloned himself  so Dougie could reunite with Janey-E and Sunny Jim. ( I will forever love those 3 names and the way Naomi Watts pronounced them) But we are left with the WTF on where Cooper is now and that a bigger bad (Judy) is unrevealed.

The Diane stuff in hour 2 was also very unsettling. It was obvious that she could not unsee Cooper as BOB and the way she covered his face during sex was heart-wrenching. Then she leaves him a Dear John letter but with different names. :dunno: Right now the only meaning I can find is that being good sucks. :(

16 hours ago, Dornite said:

I don't think Cooper was agent Cooper in the final hour, he didn't act completely like agent Cooper. He seemed to be a combination of agent Cooper, Mr Cooper and even a little Dougie. I think seeing dopplecooper in him is probably at least part of what freaked Diana out.

I thought the same thing. When he went in the Black Lodge again, he came out with some of BOB's mannerisms. The way he drove, silent and stonefaced was totally BOB. The way he told Diane to come to him in the hotel was similar to BOB when he told Jennifer Jason Leigh's character the same thing. 

9 hours ago, Trebla said:

I thought the same thing. When he went in the Black Lodge again, he came out with some of BOB's mannerisms. The way he drove, silent and stonefaced was totally BOB. The way he told Diane to come to him in the hotel was similar to BOB when he told Jennifer Jason Leigh's character the same thing. 

I think Cooper in the finale is "Richard", who is sort of a composite of "good" and "bad" Cooper.

Honestly I followed The Return and defended it every step of the way. Even after Part 12 I defended the Audrey scene with "I don't know why you would take that at face value, this is Lynch. There has to be something deeper going on" and sure enough I was right even if we never found out exactly what was going on. That said I even I felted a tad disappointed with the finale on my first viewing (Part 18 more specifically, loved 17), but then I found myself pouring over theories and contemplating it and I think I now realize that was exactly why it was perfect - it elicited from us the exact reaction Lynch would have wanted.

That said I would really like more closure on the whole Judy mythos especially considering Judy is ultimately a bigger bad than BOB was. I'm not holding my breath for a Season 4 but I would be very happy if it ended up happening...even though I'm sure Lynch would just Lynch us at the end again.

11 hours ago, Trebla said:

On 9/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, Dornite said:

I don't think Cooper was agent Cooper in the final hour, he didn't act completely like agent Cooper. He seemed to be a combination of agent Cooper, Mr Cooper and even a little Dougie. I think seeing dopplecooper in him is probably at least part of what freaked Diana out.

From a Kyle MacLachlan interview with Variety:

Did you feel that Richard, in the finale, was a distinct character of his own, or just Cooper with a different name?

He was… different. The way it was described to me, he’s just a little harder. So it was another variation, sort of a subtle variation obviously, compared to the other two, but a subtle variation of Cooper. And so that was that last hour, Watching him navigate that

Overall I really enjoyed the new season. There were moments where I said aloud "what the fuck is this shit." But I could not stop watching it. Though unless Lynch and Frost know something we don't about season four there was a lot of weirdly wasted time and talent. I need to watch this and the movie again but who the fuck is Billy? What the fuck is with Audrey? Ditto Red. What happened with Steven and Alicia Witt's character and possibly Becky that led to him seemingly killing himself? Why was Ashley Judd there? What happened to Leo? Also how is Annie!? I think they mentioned her just once. 

I think if we had gotten this season back in the day, it would have conformed more to *some* people's expectations, but now TV has gotten a lot closer to the old Twin Peaks on average, with dozens of shows inspired by it, and dozens of showrunners who admit freely that they stole from it.  What did Lynch/Frost have to do in order to cause the same explosion?  They had to push the envelope even further.  Whether it is good or not...part of me is very disappointed with how things turned out.  I definitely wanted something more grounded in Twin Peaks, but with supernatural elements, storylines with all the old characters, and all the rest, but clearly Lynch had other plans.  I also think that the Return wasn't 50/50 Lynch/Frost, but about 80/20 Lynch over Frost.  Maybe I'm wrong, but there was nothing of that old balancing act present. 

So my feelings are mixed really.  It wasn't what I wanted, but it still had aspects to it that I found very compelling.  I will buy the Blu-Ray eventually when (if?) it comes out.  I dropped a pile on Twin Peaks merch.  I subscribed to Showtime, and will probably unsubscribe tomorrow. 

On 9/6/2017 at 8:11 PM, The Unborn said:

There is another book coming up at the end of october. I hope it will help in dealing with what we saw.

Maybe. There was recently a reddit AMA with Sabrina Sutherland, the producer.  She said that once Lynch/Frost wrote the first draft, Frost took off to write Secret History (of which the upcoming Final Dossier was a part), leaving Lynch alone to do further revisions and keep working on the script.  I think that confirms a lot of my suspicions that Lynch/Frost didn't closely collaborate on the day to day, because how else could we have ended up with that we got?  A professional serial TV writer would not have allowed The Return to get so inconsistent and patchwork, at least I hope he wouldn't.  Sigh.

Well that left me feeling melancholic. Not just for how it ended but for my youth. I was in my twenties when this show first aired. Over all I thought it was fab, its laconic pacing just adding to the vibe of the show. A friend of mine reminded me to re watch  Fire Walk with Me before starting on the return - that was rewarding to see how a film that just vexed everybody back when it was originally released now suddenly had new importance to the over arch of the show. Episode 17 really had me going that this was going to end on a relatively positive note like Blue Velvet. (I was even expecting a fake Robin.) But that would not of been right the show was after all about abuse and the covering up and pretending not to see about such vile crimes.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived