If Robert refuses to marry Cersei, who will be her husband?

purple-eyes

Robert said he did not want to marry anybody except Lyanna.

Let us say Robert decides that he does not want Cersei. Then who will marry Cersei?

I can only think about Euron, Oberyn, and Stannis.

Would Tywin be satisfied with them? Probably not.

Maybe just a bannerman's son from the west so that Cersei would rule CR by her right (after Tywin disinherit Tyrion)?

1 minute ago, grinny said:

The thing is, if Robert doesn't marry at all, Tywin would probably go for Stannis, because his trueborn children will inherit the throne and I think Tywin cares less about a Lannister queen, than a Lannister born king

At some point I think Robert would still marry, just not cersei. Maybe after like 10 years of fun and happy life?

Robert probably would not like Stannis takes his throne.

56 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Let us say Robert decides that he does not want Cersei. Then who will marry Cersei?

Maybe just a bannerman's son from the west so that Cersei would rule CR by her right (after Tywin disinherit Tyrion)?

Euron, Oberyn or Stannis as Cersei's husband - LOL

I think Tywin would marry her to Baelor Brightsmile, advice Robert to declare the Higtowers as the lord paramounts of the Reach to punish the Tyrells for supporting the Targs. Hightowers must have supported the Targs too, but as the bannermen, their crimes are less, and they are more respectable house than the Tyrells. Power and riches are all that makes Tyrells worthy, but there was a chance to take both away from them after RR.

Just now, Hos the Hostage said:

Euron, Oberyn or Stannis as Cersei's husband - LOL

I think Tywin would marry her to Baelor Brightsmile, advice Robert to declare the Higtowers as the lord paramounts of the Reach to punish the Tyrells for supporting the Targs. Hightowers must have supported the Targs too, but as the bannermen, their crimes are less, and they are more respectable house than the Tyrells. Power and riches are all that makes Tyrells worthy, but there was a chance to take both away from them after RR.

I think Baelor married quite early. He is a suitor for Elia Martell. Elia is around 9 years older than Cersei. Baelor should be similar or slightly older than Elia. At the end of RR, Baelor would be close to 30. I think it is likely that Baelor married Lady Rowan not long after he was refused by Elia.

1 minute ago, purple-eyes said:

I think Baelor married quite early. He is a suitor for Elia Martell. Elia is around 9 years older than Cersei. Baelor should be similar or slightly older than Elia. At the end of RR, Baelor would be close to 30. I think it is likely that Baelor married Lady Rowan not long after he was refused by Elia.

I had forgotten all about the ages! I was thinking Cersei and Elia was same age.. I should have recalled that Elia was older than Rhaegar, who was older than Cersei.

1 minute ago, Gronzag said:

Cersei and Jaimie were about 15-16 at during the Rebellion, which means that Elia and probably Baelor were in their mid 20's.

Cersei was born in 266, and Elia was born in 257.

So when Cersei was married to Robert in 284, Cersei was around 18, Elia was 27 (if she had survived). 

Since Baelor was a suitor of Elia 10 years ago and he later married a girl from house Rowan, it sounds like he should settle down before RR.

Oberyn? A second son? After Elia's death? No way in hell

Euron's also a second son with nothing to his name, so he's out too

The most likely candidates are Willas and Stannis, but the latter gets the edge because he's the king's brother and immediate heir to the throne before Robert has kids. And he's also closer to Cersei's age than Willas and not crippled (do we know if that incident happened before or after Robert's Rebellion?)

4 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Whoever can offer the most to Tywin.  Jaime would have killed anyone other than Robert though.

Willas is the best option. Isn't Stannis already married by the time of Robert's Rebellion? Willas, crippled or not, gives Lannisters a hold of some sort over the Reach, which is, actually, pretty excellent. Poor Willas.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Oberyn? A second son? After Elia's death? No way in hell

Euron's also a second son with nothing to his name, so he's out too

The most likely candidates are Willas and Stannis, but the latter gets the edge because he's the king's brother and immediate heir to the throne before Robert has kids. And he's also closer to Cersei's age than Willas and not crippled (do we know if that incident happened before or after Robert's Rebellion?)

Willas is good but Willas was like only 9 years old at that time.

He is not crippled but he is around 8-9 years younger than Cersei.

His accident happened much later, I guess when he was around 15 something.

Should not you be more clear with your brother's age? :)

29 minutes ago, kimim said:

Willas is the best option. Isn't Stannis already married by the time of Robert's Rebellion? Willas, crippled or not, gives Lannisters a hold of some sort over the Reach, which is, actually, pretty excellent. Poor Willas.

Stannis married after the RR.

Willas was only around 9 years old at that moment.

Cersei is much older, so she had to wait for 5,6 years to marry him.

If Robert was not prepared to marry Cersei, my guess is that, pretty soon afterwards, Lady Mellario of Norvos would die in what looked like a botched attempt by Robert's henchmen to assassinate Viserys.

Amory Lorch and Ser Gregor Clegane would be sent to Dorne to face justice for their crimes at their Lord's decreee, and any objections King Robert voiced, and his 'I only see dragonspawn' comment would be much amplified throughout Dorne.

Some time shortly afterwards, Sweet Cersei Lannister would marry Prince Doran, the  alliance between Dorne and the Westerlands would cease to be a secret, and as their plan is, supposedly, to get Viserys on the Iron Throne, the Reach would probably be wise to support them too.

Of course, the point is not to get Viserys on the throne (nobody is crazy enough to want that really, but Viserys is young enough to need a regent, and hot-headed enough to get killed in battle, or where-ever, just as he was due to come of age. His little sister would be under Dorne's protection, of course. ) but to ensure that the seven kingdoms were ruled from behind the throne by Tywin, and that the Lannisters remained the most politically fearsome family in Westeros. Or preferably Planetos.

Robert knew marrying Cersei was necessary if there was to be peace in the realm, and while Tywin could not hope to keep the North on side without Robert, he probably could get them to stay out of it and mind their own business, if he could secure the interest of Hoster Tully, Jon Arryn, and the lords of the Riverlands and the Vale. Both are cautious men, older men, well aware of Tywin's powers and with wealthy agricultural lands and trade interests that Tywin served well while he was hand.

The Riverlands in particular have recent memories of what it is like to have a Dornish army on their territory. Unlike the Northerners, both the Tullys and the Arryns derive the power of their houses from their ancient allegiance with the Targaryens, and have many bannermen that support the Targaryen cause. Division hardly needs to be cultivated in the Vale, and apart from such famous neighbours as the Brackens and Blackwoods,  the Riverlands hot-heads are notoriously parochial (notice how, as soon as the immediate battles are over, they all want to return to defend their own lands?). Plus, as the dais of the Purple Wedding shows, the Lannisters are half-Frey.

"No better friend" should be Tywin's personal motto. Cersei's marriage to Robert was done purely to ensure that Tywin retained and consolidated his political power, and his military advantages, even if he was no longer Hand. That the realm won peace and Robert a throne, were really a byproduct of that.

Tywin is too proud to consider marrying his daughter to anything less than a crown prince (and would not even consider a merchant prince, like the one in Pentos.)

TL;DR As Tywin's only daughter, the realm would remain at war until Cersei married the King on the Iron Throne. (Except if the King was Tywin, or Jaime.)

Willas.

Stannis, though I am not entirely sure Tywin would want Stannis for a son in law.

Renly if he was an heir to Storn's End. There is about twelve years between them, but it is still possible match.

Edmure he isn't that much younger than Cersei and he is a type of person Tywin and Cersei would find easy to manipulate.

10 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Willas is good but Willas was like only 9 years old at that time.

He is not crippled but he is around 8-9 years younger than Cersei.

His accident happened much later, I guess when he was around 15 something.

Should not you be more clear with your brother's age? :)

I was a little fat boy by then, I only cared about food

10 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Stannis married after the RR.

Willas was only around 9 years old at that moment.

Cersei is much older, so she had to wait for 5,6 years to marry him.

ty! I forgot that Robert was sleeping with someone at Stannis's wedding, and Stannis was furious. Willas doesn't need to be that young. I looked him up here, and his birth date is listed as 270-276 AC. He could be as old as thirteen by the time the rebellion is over, definitely old enough for marriage.

I'd say Edmure.  Hoster was politically savy, and if the match could be made all three of his children would be married to Lords Paramount or their daughter.  The match between Jaime and Lysa didn't work, so I think this match would be advantageous for both parties.  Tywin still is able ally himself with the "Big 4" securing his support for Robert (at least in name).  Also, if the match could be made, the Tullys would only have to defend their southern border in times of trouble.   

Archived