Objects that seem to just... Vanish?

Felguy

I am sure everybody has experienced this to some extent. 

But what happened to me today is weird. 

I have this scarf, I always wear it in winter,  so I came home last Friday,  pretty tired. I take off my coat,  backpack etc. And I think I had my scarf with me as well.  At least I remember leaving my internship with it, that's for 100% sure. 

I always put my scarf on a chair in the living room. 

Saturday and yesterday I went out a little to the store. But I remember I wore a very thick hoodie both times and not my coat and scarf combo. I am absolutely 100% sure of this fact. 

Fast forward to today,  morning, couldn't find my scarf anywhere. 

When I searched for it later that day and just now as well... Just gone. Vanished. Blipped out of existence as far As I know. Nobody came over, not one friend. So nobody could have stolen it. Only my own family who live here anyway could have moved it. But they wouldn't need it anyway and never do that. 

The only possibility is that It flew off of me while riding my bike back home Friday but I Don't think that's likely. It is also not at the building of my internship, I think. I went there today. Nobody notified me or anything. And they know I wear it a lot. Now it's not the scarf itself that bothers me so much but the fact it just Vanished I can't accept easily. 

What are your stories? 

There is an alternate universe. Home to keys you swear you had just put down on the table a moment ago which aren't there anymore. Travel back from this alternate universe will inevitably occur once you enlist the help of another to find said keys.

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

There is an alternate universe. Home to keys you swear you had just put down on the table a moment ago which aren't there anymore. Travel back from this alternate universe will inevitably occur once you enlist the help of another to find said keys.

That did happen a lot,  yeah. But this case is.... Extraordinary.  Doubt my family could find it if I asked them to search. :P

I had this happen with a car key once. I was getting my house keys out of my pocket to open the door to my apartment and the car key fell out of the same pocket. I heard it hit the carpet... but after that it ceased to exist. There's literally nowhere it could have gone, but it just wasn't there. I enlisted the aid of my roommate in looking for it and we still could not find it -- even after assuming that it might have somehow bounced several meters away and gone down the stairs. I never did see that key again.

It is not possible for a scarf to just vanish.

Unless it is a magic scarf, of course.  I understand that some magic scarves can do that.  Was it a magic scarf, do you know?

If so, have you checked for it up your sleeve?  Or in your mouth?

Would you say that you treated your scarf well?  It is possible (again, only if it is a magic scarf) that it has disappeared in an effort to get away from your abuse and/or neglect.  I've heard that magic scarves do not tolerate mistreatment well. 

Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

It is not possible for a scarf to just vanish.

Unless it is a magic scarf, of course.  I understand that some magic scarves can do that.  Was it a magic scarf, do you know?

If so, have you checked for it up your sleeve?  Or in your mouth?

Would you say that you treated your scarf well?  It is possible (again, only if it is a magic scarf) that it has disappeared in an effort to get away from your abuse and/or neglect.  I've heard that magic scarves do not tolerate mistreatment well. 

Hope this helps!

To be fair I could have treated it slightly better, but the scarf had a good life! It had no need to run away. :( I treated it well and I even kept it warm with my body heat, how many people do such a thing for their scarves? 

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I had this happen with a car key once. I was getting my house keys out of my pocket to open the door to my apartment and the car key fell out of the same pocket. I heard it hit the carpet... but after that it ceased to exist. There's literally nowhere it could have gone, but it just wasn't there. I enlisted the aid of my roommate in looking for it and we still could not find it -- even after assuming that it might have somehow bounced several meters away and gone down the stairs. I never did see that key again.

Like,  was it outside of inside where it fell? Is there an area behind the stairs? 

There's this arm-holder thingy made of foam rubber covered in a blue material and it's in a half-donut shape, that I've had since I started my job in court reporting, some 20 years ago.  It's been through hundreds of court trials and depositions and meetings - all the while supporting my arms so I could write on my machine comfortably.  I've even recommended it to other court reporters in federal court, and they've come back to me and said it's saved their careers.  Reporting is tremendously hard on your body.  It looks like you're sitting there just lightly typing, but the concentration and mental agility required is pretty intense.

One day, not long ago, my blue arm-holder thingy was gone.  I had been thinking it looked a little dog-eared and tired and maybe it read my mind and was put out about it.  Anyway, I searched EVERYWHERE for it - parking lots, offices, alleyways, bushes - to no avail.  It's gone.  Now I have to go on without it, and it's terrible.  I'm in pain.  The company that made it is no longer around.

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!  :bawl: 

8 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

There's this arm-holder thingy made of foam rubber covered in a blue material and it's in a half-donut shape, that I've had since I started my job in court reporting, some 20 years ago.  It's been through hundreds of court trials and depositions and meetings - all the while supporting my arms so I could write on my machine comfortably.  I've even recommended it to other court reporters in federal court, and they've come back to me and said it's saved their careers.  Reporting is tremendously hard on your body.  It looks like you're sitting there just lightly typing, but the concentration and mental agility required is pretty intense.

One day, not long ago, my blue arm-holder thingy was gone.  I had been thinking it looked a little dog-eared and tired and maybe it read my mind and was put out about it.  Anyway, I searched EVERYWHERE for it - parking lots, offices, alleyways, bushes - to no avail.  It's gone.  Now I have to go on without it, and it's terrible.  I'm in pain.  The company that made it is no longer around.

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!  :bawl: 

Aww :( really attaches to you if an item is that old. 

There is a boggart in my house.   It used to move my keys, but I tied them to my purse.  Now it moves my purse.

I lost a scarf for 48 hours, also thought it might have come off on the bike as I didn't specifically remember removing it and placing it on the chair by the door.  This really seemed unlikely, because I had my entire face wrapped in it.  Surely I would have noticed.

It reappeared 48 hours later with an additional scarf I had never seen before.

Boggart.

31 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

There is a boggart in my house.   It used to move my keys, but I tied them to my purse.  Now it moves my purse.

I lost a scarf for 48 hours, also thought it might have come off on the bike as I didn't specifically remember removing it and placing it on the chair by the door.  This really seemed unlikely, because I had my entire face wrapped in it.  Surely I would have noticed.

It reappeared 48 hours later with an additional scarf I had never seen before.

Boggart.

This Boggart idea fascinates me.  What form does it take?  

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

This Boggart idea fascinates me.  What form does it take?  

Ha!  Occam's Razor required me to believe in the boggart.  Both my Grandmother and Mother-in-Law talked to me about it when I complained about setting up house for the first time.  

Mine's not been visible, but it seems to be mollified by wine or food left overnight.  It's responsibilities seem to be short-sheeting / stripping beds in the night, moving objects and disappearing things.  Shit disappears and then shows up in very, very obvious places.

Since my household has expanded, it seems to be bothering everyone.  I'm only having this problem 1/7 of the time I did when I lived alone.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Ha!  Occam's Razor required me to believe in the boggart.  Both my Grandmother and Mother-in-Law talked to me about it when I complained about setting up house for the first time.  

Mine's not been visible, but it seems to be mollified by wine or food left overnight.  It's responsibilities seem to be short-sheeting / stripping beds in the night, moving objects and disappearing things.  Shit disappears and then shows up in very, very obvious places.

Since my household has expanded, it seems to be bothering everyone.  I'm only having this problem 1/7 of the time I did when I lived alone.  Go figure.

If something gets lost, something gets broken in the house (especially that) or something get eaten and nobody says he is the person responsible, it is always the fault of the little gnomes living in our house ^_^. And they live under the stairs (like an old Dutch children song tells us. 

11 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

If something gets lost, something gets broken in the house (especially that) or something get eaten and nobody says he is the person responsible, it is always the fault of the little gnomes living in our house ^_^. And they live under the stairs (like an old Dutch children song tells us. 

I live in the Netherlands....Guess there are gnomes here.

Just now, Felguy said:

I live in the Netherlands....Guess there are gnomes here.

Do you not know this song? 

Woutertje kaboutertje, wiebel wiebel wiebel woep.
Piepklein kaboutertje komt als ik roep.
Woutertje kaboutertje, wiebel wiebel wiebel woep.

Ik heb ‘m al jaren en nooit geeft ‘ie last.
Hij woont in een trommeltje onder de kast.
En ‘s morgens om zeven uur hoor je geluid.
Dan roept ‘ie om eten, dan wil ‘ie eruit.

Woutertje woutertje, wiebel wiebel wiebel woep.
Woutertje woutertje, piepklein kaboutertje,
wiebel wiebel wiebel woep, komt als ik roep.

Ik zag ‘m voor ‘t eerst op de mat in de gang,
Ik zei goeiemorgen ben jij hier al lang.
Hij zei nou ik denk een minuutje of vijf,
Ik vind je wel aardig, ik denk dat ik blijf.
Oh die Woutertje woutertje, wiebel wiebel wiebel woep.

Hij is reuze aardig we hebben veel pret,
Maar ‘s avonds om zeven uur moet ‘ie naar bed.
Hij trekt een pyamaatje aan van katoen,
Dan bindt ‘ie zijn baard op en krijgt nog een zoen
Oh die Woutertje woutertje, wiebel wiebel wiebel woep.
Hoi!

I sang it several times with my Flemish youth movement. But this song is about a nice gnome. He does not steal people's stuff. The gnomes in my house are less friendly. 

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

Do you not know this song? 

I sang it several times with my Flemish youth movement. But this song is about a nice gnome. He does not steal people's stuff. The gnomes in my house are less friendly. 

Nah, never heard of it. :P 

Archived