Brienne and Gendry: Possible Romance?

HouseFossoway

So this is my first post, and I want to start out by shipping a new couple: Brienne and Gendry

While reading through AFFC, I realized that they are perfect for each other on so many levels.

-First of all, they're actually pretty close in age. Brienne is only 20, while Gendry is 16.

-Secondly, Brienne was in love with Renly, and Gendry bears a very striking resemblance to Renly, enough so that she mistook him for Renly when they first met at the end of AFFC. How great would it be for Brienne to end up with someone who looked like her first love, but was actually a nice person. Although Renly was kind to Brienne, he took her for granted, and kind of strung her along. Gendry would be kind of like the nice version of Renly.
-Third, Gendry doesn't care as much about looks. When Bella, the prostitute at stoney sept approaches Gendry, he adamantly says no, even though she was pretty. But he does seem to like Arya as a friend, and does hold her fierceness and strength in regard, so he'd probably do the same for Brienne. Brienne isn't very attractive, so a shallow person (most men in Westeros) is not going to marry her, unless that person just wants to be lord of Tarth. But it is plausible that Gendry would fall in love with Brienne.

-Finally, they've met each other. The fact that they are in the same vicinity means that there is a chance. What could be a better love story than one that starts out the two met, then killed the Rorge and Biter, the two creepiest members of the brave companions.

So, what do you think of this romantic pairing?

18 minutes ago, HouseFossoway said:

So, what do you think of this romantic pairing?

Brienne is the type to want a mature man.  I don't think she has the patience to deal with a young man's antics.  My best prediction for Gendry is the wall.  He was on his way there after all.  Consider his trip delayed but will resume at some point.  I'm hoping for Gendry to take Tyrion's place in GRRM's original plot.  He gets Arya preggers, Jon gets very jealous, friction starts.  Gendry convinces the LC that his skills are needed and Jon backs off or gets pulled off.  Gendry stabs the pregnant Arya with his sword, thus giving birth to a new lightbringer.  That's my wish for the story.

Brienne was never in love with Renly. She was crushing on him. I could never see this pairing ever happening. Yes he did save her (eventually) but didn't he also take her to Lady Stoneheart? (or at least halfway, then he turned back....he knew where she was going though) Makes me wonder why he even bothered saving her in the first place considering he had a pretty good idea what was going to happen to her,

4 hours ago, Wm Portnoy said:

Brienne is the type to want a mature man.  I don't think she has the patience to deal with a young man's antics.  My best prediction for Gendry is the wall.  He was on his way there after all.  Consider his trip delayed but will resume at some point.  I'm hoping for Gendry to take Tyrion's place in GRRM's original plot.  He gets Arya preggers, Jon gets very jealous, friction starts.  Gendry convinces the LC that his skills are needed and Jon backs off or gets pulled off.  Gendry stabs the pregnant Arya with his sword, thus giving birth to a new lightbringer.  That's my wish for the story.

Why would Arya get pregnant??? 

4 hours ago, Wm Portnoy said:

What a crazy theory! I've got to give you credit, I've never heard anything quite like it.

7 hours ago, Wm Portnoy said:

Because, who cares about POV chapters, developement and boring shit like that? Female characters are always, only a vessel for the male hero to realize their destiny and shine. It is known.

2 hours ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

Brienne was never in love with Renly. She was crushing on him. I could never see this pairing ever happening. Yes he did save her (eventually) but didn't he also take her to Lady Stoneheart? (or at least halfway, then he turned back....he knew where she was going though) Makes me wonder why he even bothered saving her in the first place considering he had a pretty good idea what was going to happen to her,

Who do you think would be eaten next if Biter wins? It was self-preservation (by "self", I also include his group, to be fair) first and foremost.

7 minutes ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

Because, who cares about POV chapters, developement and boring shit like that? Female characters are always, only a vessel for the male hero to realize their destiny and shine. It is known.

Who do you think would be eaten next if Biter wins? It was self-preservation (by "self", I also include his group, to be fair) first and foremost.

That is an excellent point I hadn't thought of.

Welcome, HouseFossway.

I've bolded the quotes from your post, the better to pull it apart. No, really, you're welcome.

-First of all, they're actually pretty close in age. Brienne is only 20, while Gendry is 16.

Brienne clearly prefers older men. Renly was three years older than her, and Jaime, fourteen. She did first meet Renly when he was sixteen, and he made quite an impression, but even then, she was three years his junior. Note how she dismisses Gendry when she catches her breath. "Renly died in my arms, a man of one-and-twenty. This is a only a boy."(AFfC, Ch.37 BrienneVII)

Also, if we could accuse Gendry of showing any preference towards females, the ones he deigns to associate with are all younger than himself. That is to say, girls, not women.

-Secondly, Brienne was in love with Renly, and Gendry bears a very striking resemblance to Renly, enough so that she mistook him for Renly when they first met at the end of AFFC. How great would it be for Brienne to end up with someone who looked like her first love, but was actually a nice person. Although Renly was kind to Brienne, he took her for granted, and kind of strung her along. Gendry would be kind of like the nice version of Renly.

It is true that any attraction Brienne feels for Gendry is due to his very striking resemblance to Renly. But Brienne isn't particular about how guys look (or if she is, she likes them to look noble and regal, like a proper king should look). She falls in love with guys that are unavailable, and give her respect anyway.

If he is sexually obsessed with his sister, or his wife's brother, courteous, well educated, and has made an implausible attempt to steal the Iron Throne on the basis that 'might is right', she is there. Black or blond, doesn't matter.

Guys that take her for granted while she is guarding their lives, and kind of string her along, are what she likes. Also, I am not at all sure Gendry would be a nice version of Renly. More like rude and sulky, with his father's bad temper in place of Renly's sunny one, and not necessarily nice at all. Rough trade, not her style.

-Third, Gendry doesn't care as much about looks. When Bella, the prostitute at stoney sept approaches Gendry, he adamantly says no, even though she was pretty. But he does seem to like Arya as a friend, and does hold her fierceness and strength in regard, so he'd probably do the same for Brienne.

This is not reliable evidence that Gendry doesn't care about looks. Bella claimed to be King Robert's bastard, and had black hair like his own. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to disgust him, it is highborns, with their airs and their violence, and the immoral way they use smallfolks. He doesn't approve of breeding bastards, and there's nothing that gets his dander up as fast as highborns with their immoral using ways. It seems to have affected not only his feelings for Bella, but for Arya as well " "You’re not my brother."

"That’s right," he said angrily. "I’m too bloody lowborn to be kin to m’lady high."(ASoS,Ch.29 Arya V)

We don't know that he didn't have a quick bite of another peach: "By the time her cup was empty, Arya was yawning. Gendry hadn’t come back"(ASoS,Ch.29 Arya V)

We do know his distrust and dislike when Brienne addressed him as "My Lord", did not diminish when he heard "Lady Brienne is a warrior maid on a quest."(AFfC,Ch.37 Brienne VII)

Thank goodness he can't hear Brienne's thoughts, which only confirm everything he hates about her. She can't look at Willow without thinking "If she were highborn, command would come naturally to her, and deference to them." (AFfC,Ch.37 Brienne VII)

Not sure about his indifference to looks when incest isn't in the question, either. There is some evidence to suggest that Arya is actually quite pretty when she is bathed and nicely frocked (neither of which changes the fact she is nine years old), and from what he mumbled about Bella's black hair later on, it is clear he was not put off by her prettiness.

On the other hand, there is the very direct way he puts looks on the table when he speaks to Brienne "What’s wrong with my face? It’s not as ugly as yours."(AFfC,Ch.37 Brienne VII)

-Finally, they've met each other. The fact that they are in the same vicinity means that there is a chance. What could be a better love story than one that starts out the two met, then killed the Rorge and Biter, the two creepiest members of the brave companions.

The very few men that Brienne truly hates, are the ones she has already met. Case in point: Ser Hyle Hunt. She is not the type to go for a guy because she has met him and he is in the vicinity. Gendry could help her kill all seven of the Brave companions, tar their heads for Randyll, and give her full credit, and still not get anywhere with an honest offer of marriage, the minute she remembers that she met him before, that she is the Maid of Tarth and he is an ambitious lowborn knight.

Gendry is already pretty much Arya's, if she wants him. Once the problem of their relative ranks to get over, and Arya's immorality, and her list, and her dubious highborn family, and their religious differences, and her marriage by proxy to Bolton's bastard, and her mother's objections, and the fact that he has nothing to offer her but his life, I'm sure he'd gladly die for her if she wanted him to or not.

Brienne might help clear a few of those issues up, might already have given him enough information for him to figure out who his father is, might live to put in a good word to Arya's mum for him. Or not.

Even so, being a Red God man, and having Kings Blood is a bad combination. Especially if Melisandre finds out. It's not Arya's heartsblood that is likely to quench the next Lightbringer. On the bright side, maybe Gendry will slay Stannis.

Which is good, because I have the perfect match for Brienne. He is an older guy, currently unavailable, loves a scrap, nothing but respect for her warrior ways, won't attempt to stop her, will glory in her prowess and, importantly, she has never met him. While he is sworn to the Night's Watch as long as Winter lasts, he can give her a promise of Spring, and steal her away when the Thief is in the Moonmaid.

Yes, I'm talking about the Mead-King of Ruddy Hall, Speaker to Gods and Father of Hosts, Horn-Blower, Ice breaker, Bear stealer, tall talker, Lord of Oakenshield and Commander of the Relief of Hardhome, Tormund Giantsbane. HAR!

I don't know why people are wishing so hard for Gendry to actually play a major role in the story.  He's a side character, used to elevate the main characters around him.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He helped elevate Arya early on.  Now it's looking like he's going to help elevate Brienne some.

Who knows where he will end up when it's all said and done.  But lets not make Gendry into something he's not.

15 minutes ago, Walda said:

<snip>

That was an enjoyable read :)

6 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

I don't know why people are wishing so hard for Gendry to actually play a major role in the story.  He's a side character, used to elevate the main characters around him.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He helped elevate Arya early on.  Now it's looking like he's going to help elevate Brienne some.

Who knows where he will end up when it's all said and done.  But lets not make Gendry into something he's not.

ITA. I suppose there's a certain appeal in Spotted Pate kind of stories.

Well, this is new. I don't see it, but I think it would work great for both of them: Brienne gets her Renly (and this one's got a case of the not-gays) and Gendry, a poor bastard with nothing to his name, gets to be Lord of Tarth. Not too shabby for someone in his position. And imagine Hyle's face. 

I don't really see it. Brienne explicitely thinks of Gendry as a boy, and the difference in rank, while not as extreme as it is between Arya and Gendry, is still a thing.

Also, Brienne falling for him because he looks like the guy she crushed on when she was younger and who then died in her arms is not really the stuff for a healthy relationship.

If she ends up marrying anyone, my money is on Hyle Hunt or possibly Jaime (if he survives so long and manages to get away from Cersei and somehow gets out of his vows... yeah, probably Hyle), though I really don't think it's a given that she will marry.

4 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

What madness is this? Everyone knows Brienne and Jaime are the future.  tutt tutt tutt.....

Yep. They are so going to have super awkward, steamy sweet sex, it'll be glorious. Then one of them will die.

I can definitely see it happening…though I have been a proponent for the theory that Gendry is going to create Lightbringer by stabbing Arya (he's the only semi-major smith character in the series), it could well be that he ends up stabbing Brienne, and I could see scenarios happen where he feels compelled to do so - e.g. if Lady Stoneheart compels her to try and kill someone Gendry sees as an innocent.

6 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Well, this is new. I don't see it, but I think it would work great for both of them: Brienne gets her Renly (and this one's got a case of the not-gays) and Gendry, a poor bastard with nothing to his name, gets to be Lord of Tarth. Not too shabby for someone in his position. And imagine Hyle's face. 

255.gif

Archived