Brienne and Gendry: Possible Romance?

HouseFossoway

3 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Jaime "What was the name of that bastard he fathered?" Catelyn "Brienne!" 

Another Jaime Brienne bastard connection. I think Jaime and Brienne having a child will happen, but unfortunately Jaime will not live to raise him/her. 

There are tons of hints to this outcome, and hopefully George will remember them all, because I consider this arc to be one of his finest work.

But yeah, Jaime is 99% sure of biting it, which will leave me sobbing for days, but he does reek of doom.

Nah. Just my opinion, but I don't see it.

Brienne has the memory in her heart of Renly and her regrets of not being to help him coupled with her vow to avenge him. And Jaime moved into that heart. Big time.

Gendry appears to only have room in his heart for the memory of his fiery, swashbuckling little scamp, Arya. (See the Book 4 cameo.)

But I'll be damned if Brienne isn't going to have some page time telling him his identity and looking out for THE NEPHEW. Um, Gendry. 

They are already tied. He saved Brienne's life, and also by doing so killed a baddie that once tried to threaten his Acorn Girl. Hey, he warned Arya not to talk to them in an earlier book. And Brienne was astute and cautious enough to realize that when attempting to talk about who his father was, she went to see him alone not trusting anyone to hear. Also, she is mature enough to take his surly attitude in stride. Apparently, he has a lot of crap on his mind.  I think I could guess what some of that is. We seem to be cued a few times in that chapter. 

And there is also the soap opera cliche scene where she is in a delirium and still asking for him. It is totally cliff-hanged how badly she wants to tell him who his father is.

There she lies with a half chewed face like: Must….Must tell him…Must tell Gendry. She is serious about it, much was made of it, and I think it will happen. Somehow she will tell him. Or no point to the emphasis on how hard she tried to do so.

15 hours ago, booknerd2 said:

There she lies with a half chewed face like: Must….Must tell him…Must tell Gendry. She is serious about it, much was made of it, and I think it will happen. Somehow she will tell him. Or no point to the emphasis on how hard she tried to do so.

The third time is the charm, where one should elect to bestow their sights on a spare narrative strand, the course ahead almost never goes awry. Part of which demonstrates, understandably, that GRRM's three-fold revelation strategy is rather appropriate to an extensive list of plot details (i.e. the verbal portrait being painted by the aptly-named Ghost of High Heart regards the purple-haired maid depicted as the foretold slayer of a savage giant, so rather than limiting interpretation, by suddenly matching the prophetic counsel word for word, the oft-commented upon SR/Sansa snow castle scene in all likelihood takes on further dimensions of possible foreshadowing.) I'm quite sceptical that the corollary of R+L=J has also infringed on the triplicity involved, but so far as tackling the author's favoured technique, however, to evoke such a pageant of hints through the text only to subordinate it at its first premise simply won't do, so eyes on the payoff, naturally...

”That said, now that I’ve realized his three-fold revelation strategy, I see it in play almost every time. The first, subtle hint for the really astute readers, followed later by the more blatant hint for the less attentive, followed by just spelling it out for everyone else.”  – Anne Groell

16 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

There are tons of hints to this outcome, and hopefully George will remember them all, because I consider this arc to be one of his finest work.

But yeah, Jaime is 99% sure of biting it, which will leave me sobbing for days, but he does reek of doom.

When, by some odd mischance or oversight, fellow readers bring up GRRM's apparent lack of expertise, on his own turf, in proximate view of his arsenal of romance skills, I direct them to Sansa/Sandor and Jaime/Brienne... 

Good ol' whodunit stories, after a fashion, hard to contend with... :lol: 

Just as well these are some of my favourites, too:

(Jaime's weirwood stump dream...)

The steel links parted like silk. "A sword," Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. In this light she could almost be a knightBrienne's sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.

-- Jaime VI, ASoS

(This is after Brienne vows to keep Sansa safe, so still, despite the light-hearted raillery preceding, in a scintillating departure from chivalric tradition, and with spede, Jaime proceeds to riffle through the White Book of the Kingsguard close to hand, where primarily the Lord Commander should inscribe, if only to see Brienne's name added in memorandum...)

Her big hand wrapped tight around Oathkeeper. "I will. And I will find the girl and keep her safe. For her lady mother's sake. And for yours." She bowed stiffly, whirled, and went.

Jaime sat alone at the table while the shadows crept across the room.

-- Jaime IX, ASoS

A good while back, someone displayed a fervent enjoyment in teasing out the parallels between Sir Gawain the True and Jaime, but this, from a quick look through Gawain's entry on Wikipedia:

Gawain is often portrayed as a formidable, courteous, and also a compassionate warrior, fiercely loyal to his king and family. He is a friend to young knights, a defender of the poor, and as "the Maidens' Knight", a defender of women as well. In some works, his strength waxes and wanes with the sun; in the most common form of this motif, his might triples by noon, but fades as the sun sets.

(Other instances of figurative language threading though Jaime's arc, and associated imagery, to this effect.) Just saying, he wears gold-plated armour, in a species of trance, Bran dreams of Sandor and Jaime standing sentinel ("like the sun, golden and beautiful") over Robert in KL, and was not Lann the Clever supposed to have stolen gold from the sun to brighten his hair, and suchlike.  

So it is generally acknowledged that Gawain is eminently identified as the Maiden's Knight. And Jaime is very protective of both aspects of Brienne's personality (he does save her from gang rape, after all, about as many times as I can tick off on the fingers of one hand and, at the very least, more times than he originally surmised he must be trifled with) : no wonder in her capacity as a woman Brienne is meant to operate within the cultural confines of the patriarchally-circumscribed Westerosi mindset, but her character and duties ought to be understood by everyone who values her liberty, too.

...but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. "I swore to keep you safe," the wench said stubbornly. "I swore an oath." Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. "Ser. Please. If you would be so good."

-- Jaime VI, ASoS

Try spending a long time coming up with a workable solution to this one, so it is later to pick the reference apart:

In the beginning, the priestly scribes of Yin declare, all the land between the Bones and the freezing desert called the Grey Waste, from the Shivering Sea to the Jade Sea (including even the great and holy isle of Leng), formed a single realm ruled by the God-on-Earth, the only begotten son of the Lion of Night and Maiden-Made-of-Light, who traveled about his domains in a palanquin carved from a single pearl and carried by a hundred queens, his wives.

Well, they're both taciturn, physically strong, obssessed with someone of the opposite sex with an age difference with whom they have a love-squabble relationship (Jaime/Brienne can be about as mature as Gendry/Arya), have blue eyes. . .

Both Gendry and Brienne need to end up with someone who is a little more talkative and cheerful.

Brienne is already in love with Jaime since aFFc and his platonic idea of falling for someone similar to Renly in looks is just too late now, since he has moved from it, her trip in the Riverlands shows it-and how he screams Jaime's name-when she is suffering. She hasn't completely forgotten Renly, but she is not in love with him anymore.

Gendry is my favourite secondary (let's say terciary) male character along with Sam and Davos (though these two are POV's) and he and Brienne are very similar in personality, so in my opinion it would't be a bad match, my Brienne needs to find a good partner or nothing. However, apart from the fact that I suspect that Gendry kind of loves Arya and is not attracted to Brienne at all (he says to her she is ugly and that's not a positive thing for her) I just can't see her forgeting the impact that Jaime has caused to her in her last chapters.

Archived