MLB, Spring has sprung.

Bonesy

We've still got the prior thread running, so this should probably be merged but...

I think those are reasonable picks except I can't see anyone in the NL West as a lock- the Dodgers and Diamondbacks both definitely have a shot. The Mets I'd call a lock to pick up at least a wildcard slot but not necessarily the division because the Nationals could be a lot better this year just by not under performing like last year- I do think we're favorites though. Either way the rest of the East is so bad we should run up a solid win total and make it in one way or another.

AL Central I think the Indians will be very good, West I'll go with the Astros, but I don't really follow the AL very closely.

I have no ideas on the AL, but have the Red Sox done that much other than allow Big Papi to get yet another year older?  I don't feel like we've heard them mentioned much at all during the Hot Stove...

Cubs/Cardinals should be epic all season long.  The Pirates aren't quite ready to go away.  The Mets and Nationals should still be pretty good.  The Diamondbacks will be last seasons Washington, all the expectations and the nice looking line up, but the just as spectacular implosion.  The Giants sure look good on paper, but then that includes Jeff Smardjzia.  Good luck with that.  :P

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I have no ideas on the AL, but have the Red Sox done that much other than allow Big Papi to get yet another year older?  I don't feel like we've heard them mentioned much at all during the Hot Stove...

They struck hard and early in the offseason with Craig Kimbrel and David Price. If Kimbrel's the closer, they can move Uehara to the setup position and keep Tazawa around for middle relief. Hopefully the Price move has a domino effect where there's finally a number one in the rotation and they can stop pretending Porcello or Buccholz is the guy.

On position players I didn't think they needed to do much. Plenty of talent in the lineup, and guys like Betts and Bogaerts are only going to get better, but they need to make sure Panda shows up weighing less than 300 pounds, and that Hanley Ramirez either figures out how to field, or just cut his underachieving ass.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think the D-Bags are likely going to be a force to be reckoned with. Kind of expect them to give the Giants a run for their money. 

D-bags = Diamondbacks or Dodgers?

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

They struck hard and early in the offseason with Craig Kimbrel and David Price. If Kimbrel's the closer, they can move Uehara to the setup position and keep Tazawa around for middle relief. Hopefully the Price move has a domino effect where there's finally a number one in the rotation and they can stop pretending Porcello or Buccholz is the guy.

On position players I didn't think they needed to do much. Plenty of talent in the lineup, and guys like Betts and Bogaerts are only going to get better, but they need to make sure Panda shows up weighing less than 300 pounds, and that Hanley Ramirez either figures out how to field, or just cut his underachieving ass.

HA!  Forgot about Price.  Once he didn't take the Cubs route, I think I put him out of mind...but you make a good point, a number of teams really bulked up on pitching, but seemingly neglected the positions.  Will it be enough for them?

So the World Baseball Classic started last night. I watched South Africa defeat New Zealand, cause hey, it's live baseball! It's only the qualifying round, but it something!

I was curious as to what teams were in the tournament, so I looked it up and found that Team USA wasn't even in it. I couldn't find a good answer as to why we aren't in the tournament.

My question to the board is, will the WBC ever gain traction here in the states? The past showings we've made have been poor performances, with hardly a handful of good MLB players. Will Team USA ever produce a good team filled with the likes of say Kershaw, Harper, Trout and other elite players that truly represent the strength of USA baseball? Or is it too trivial an affair for the likes of superstars, who just want to focus their efforts on October where the real prize awaits?

36 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

So the World Baseball Classic started last night. I watched South Africa defeat New Zealand, cause hey, it's live baseball! It's only the qualifying round, but it something!

I was curious as to what teams were in the tournament, so I looked it up and found that Team USA wasn't even in it. I couldn't find a good answer as to why we aren't in the tournament.

My question to the board is, will the WBC ever gain traction here in the states? The past showings we've made have been poor performances, with hardly a handful of good MLB players. Will Team USA ever produce a good team filled with the likes of say Kershaw, Harper, Trout and other elite players that truly represent the strength of USA baseball? Or is it too trivial an affair for the likes of superstars, who just want to focus their efforts on October where the real prize awaits?

Oh hell. Not having the MLB Network right now, I didn't even realize that the WBC was this year...

1 hour ago, Ghjhero said:

I understand why these guys don't want to participate. Who wants to risk injury and a big contract right before the season starts? The clubs can't stop their people from taking part but I understand that they might not be thrilled.

17 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

The US is in it, if you look at the flags on the WBC website you'll notice that Cuba, Canada, and a bunch of the top teams aren't there. THis is because not every team has to go through the qualifiers, with teams that are the top three in their pool automatically advancing. The qualifiers are for the other, lower ranked teams.

Archived