MLB, Spring has sprung.

Bonesy

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No proper individual of culture and learning likes hockey.  No one sane. 

Wait. What?  I'm with you about douchey bandwagon Blackhawks fans (including my brother and sister in law).  But I find the proportion of those douchey locals to be somewhat equal between Cubs and Sox fans. Disturbing really. 

I agree and didn't mean to insinuate that it's more than Sox fans - just that it's many Cubs fans (too many, if yougetmydrift). Just like Bears fans (of which I am one), the insane douchery brings the worst of the Cubs and Sox fans together. I have about equal amounts of Cubs/Sox friends (especially since I live near Wrigley) but the annoying KANER!!!!!!!!!!!!! crap in my FB feed crosses into both camps. 

Do I enjoy a good hockey game when I go? Absolutely. I'm a sports fan. I even like going to the Wolves games. I just can't put any investment into it when so much bandwidth is taken up by baseball. 

36 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No proper individual of culture and learning likes hockey.  No one sane. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think even rabid sports fans only have room for 3 sports and/or teams. For me it's NFL, MLB, and the NBA (although my basketball fandom has mostly been relegated to bandwagoning). There's no way I can shoehorn Hockey into that, outside of just paying some small amount of attention to the playoffs. And that is totally non-existent if the Sharks aren't involved. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think even rabid sports fans only have room for 3 sports and/or teams. For me it's NFL, MLB, and the NBA (although my basketball fandom has mostly been relegated to bandwagoning). There's no way I can shoehorn Hockey into that, outside of just paying some small amount of attention to the playoffs. And that is totally non-existent if the Sharks aren't involved. 

This is exactly my problem. I already have six-plus months of life committed to baseball, and then a decent chunk for the NFL and NBA. Plus you throw in some mild-but-growing appreciation for college sports (although Northwestern isn't exactly an athletic powerhouse), some tennis, then the Olympics (a huge favorite of mine) every two years - my sports bandwidth is always stretched to the limit. Compounded by the aforementioned strong douchery of the local Blackhawks fans - hockey is just on the outside looking in. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lightweight.

Anyways, I am unhappy about the direction the MBJ's have chosen to commence this season. I wish they would chose to win more often. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

MadBum vs. Kershaw rematch tonight @L.A. Giants and Dodgers tied for the West lead at 6-4 apiece. Gobbo King has been uncharacteristically quiet of late. C'mon, ya bastard. Let's stir shit up!

I don't care who wins but the fact Bumgarner is the only player with multiple dingers against Kershaw over the last two seasons makes me smile. 

And as a Braves fan, I need a reason to smile about baseball this year. 

Just now, Bonesy said:

Yes. I think it's fucking awesome.

Make no mistake, I think it's important to educate people on his contributions to baseball and more importantly the Civil Rights movement. But I think Major League Baseball uses it as a way to prostitute his memory for profit. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Nats are quietly off to their best start ever. 8-1 is pretty Ladyscary...

That team's got me in a conundrum this season. On one hand, I like Dusty and want to see him succeed in what may be his last rodeo. Plus I may as well root for another NL East team to do well since my favorite team is hardly a threat to win 60 games, much less a pennant.

On the other hand, Papelbon. I can't even.  

Archived