Video Games: Doing Archaeology With A Shotgun

KiDisaster

On 14 April 2016 at 4:37 AM, briantw said:

Finally decided to pull the trigger and buy Undertale a few days ago since everyone has raved about it.  I completed a neutral playthrough (where you kill some things and spare others) and was a little underwhelmed.  Little did I know that, beyond that, the pacifist playthrough (where, naturally, you kill absolutely no one) was goddamn incredible.  The bulk of the game is similar, but there's an entirely new section to go through, an entirely different final boss, at least one boss fight you can avoid entirely (there are actually at least two, but you can avoid one of them in the neutral playthrough if you knew to hold on to a certain item), and a fantastic ending that fleshes out the story much better than the neutral playthrough did.

I had a very similar experience. :D I love that game.

Seriously people, play Undertale.

So my new graphics card arrived, Sapphire Nitro.  I see where it slots into the motherboard, and I have a power connection available, but there's a metal flange on the end of the card where the output ports are that sticks into the motherboard.  Am I SOL here?  Is it inadvisable to remove the end piece and plug it in anyway?  I'm guessing it there because this card is a lot heavier than the older cards so it's there for additional support.  Anyone have any guidance or ideas here?

5 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

So my new graphics card arrived, Sapphire Nitro.  I see where it slots into the motherboard, and I have a power connection available, but there's a metal flange on the end of the card where the output ports are that sticks into the motherboard.  Am I SOL here?  Is it inadvisable to remove the end piece and plug it in anyway?  I'm guessing it there because this card is a lot heavier than the older cards so it's there for additional support.  Anyone have any guidance or ideas here?

The only metal flange I am aware of is the one that all cards have. Doing a quick Google search, I couldn't find one that may have an extra flange. That flange is used for support, as you can bolt it to the back of your case. If that flange is hitting the motherboard, you probably have room issues. I'm not sure it's advisable to remove it.

40 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Are you talking about the bit I've circled in red here?

If so, like Corvinus said, that's to support the card and it should fit easily into the gap between the edge of your motherboard and the case. All GPUs have them. If there's another 'metal flange' I'm not sure what it could be :/ Might need to take a picture and post it. 

ETA: What kind of case and mobo do you have?

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I'm past that.  Went through the Keep, am currently making my way through the cathedral, and have beaten most of the catacombs already.  Haven't really had too much trouble w/ any of the bosses.

I have a ridiculous number of embers right now.  One of the great things about getting this game so early is the sheer # of players looking for co-op.  Let's be take on each boss dozens of times before moving on, which means I have at least 50 embers.  Things are given away like candy.

I do like how they've basically gotten rid of healing items.  Makes the game much more difficult.

I have to disagree with that last statement.  Yes there aren't any life gems, but there are other ways and because you (at least) can get to +3 Estus's before you even kill a Lord of Cinder, you never really need more.  I mean at +3 it completely fills my bar when I'm down to nothing at 17 Vigor. Then with the multiple early game healing spells plus the fact there is a bonfire every 50 yards it seems,  I find there is way more healing than even in Dark Souls 2.  What I think is making this game harder is that they are really cranking out multiple enemy fights to the level of Bloodborne except with of course Dark Souls combat.  In Dark Souls stamina management is much more key where in Bloodborne it is really, really, really, hard to run out of stamina.

Also much like the Forest covenant in Dark 1 and the Bell Bros in Dark 2, the Wolf covenant is fricken fun at least while the game is still new. I have 20 wolf grass from murdering trespassers over the last 4 hours which includes several times a 2v2 fight.  One Epic fight me and the host battled for over at least 10 minutes, 1 other Wolf  came and died, 2 Sunbros died, 1 Regular poor sap died, 1 Red invader died, 1 Purple Mound guy died to a Giant Crab, and an NPC Invader who attacked us both and died before I finally got the bastard. As such we are now PSN buddies lol

I've only played the first Dark Souls, and ended up having some fun, but I was stopped cold by the Capra Demon. I tried to kill him many times, but it was such a difficult (and, IMO, horribly designed) boss that I gave up.

Is DS3 easier/fairer in this regard? Do you at least have an idea that you're entering a boss room when you do?

2 minutes ago, Jasta11 said:

I've only played the first Dark Souls, and ended up having some fun, but I was stopped cold by the Capra Demon. I tried to kill him many times, but it was such a difficult (and, IMO, horribly designed) boss that I gave up.

Is DS3 easier/fairer in this regard? Do you at least have an idea that you're entering a boss room when you do?

The bosses I've seen thus far aren't particularly hard or designed poorly but then again I've played the through the Souls series a billion times.  Certainly nothing as cheap as the Capra Demon (or his dogs).  Hasn't been one like that since ol' Capra. As for your last question.... not really.  Not the first time.  If you haven't played since Dark 1 then you are somewhat used to there being fog gates in various places including for boss fights.  There are no fog gates anywhere anymore now until after you've died once to the boss.  However it is still pretty easy to tell you are going into a boss arena.  Giant open area (compared to what you've been traversing) means a boss is coming,

12 minutes ago, Jasta11 said:

So far I haven't been surprised by any boss encounters. It's pretty obvious when you're walking into a boss 'arena' IMO. But I've also played a metric fuckton of the Souls games over the years so I know what to look for. 

I never thought the Capra Demon was all that bad (it's also technically an optional boss and it's really, really easy to cheese) but I haven't run into any bosses that I would compare to it in DS3 yet. 

FF9 is pretty damn brutal. I went around this threatening swamp to get to the next part of the game, but of course the game figures on you going through the swamp and fighting stuff there to level up. I also didn't realise that the next party member was living in the middle of the fricking swamp, which would have made the next few fights a bit easier (as at this point you only have 3 party members out of a maximum 4). Sigh. I might have to reload the last hour or so.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

FF9 is pretty damn brutal. I went around this threatening swamp to get to the next part of the game, but of course the game figures on you going through the swamp and fighting stuff there to level up. I also didn't realise that the next party member was living in the middle of the fricking swamp, which would have made the next few fights a bit easier (as at this point you only have 3 party members out of a maximum 4). Sigh. I might have to reload the last hour or so.

You can NOT be serious:lol:

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Are you talking about the bit I've circled in red here?

If so, like Corvinus said, that's to support the card and it should fit easily into the gap between the edge of your motherboard and the case. All GPUs have them. If there's another 'metal flange' I'm not sure what it could be :/ Might need to take a picture and post it. 

ETA: What kind of case and mobo do you have?

It looks like that bit you circled except that its bent inward towards where you stick the card into the motherboard instead of continuing straight back.  It's a full size case so i cant imagine its a room issue.  If not for the flange hitting the board it would fit.  I'll grab the specs when I get home.

Replaying Final Fantasy IX I almost forgot how much I used to like this series when the stories actually seemed like fantasy stories, and not the pseudo-sci-fi emo bullshit the series morphed into starting with FFX.  Tidus in X is still probably my least favorite video game character ever.  

38 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Quarterly query: Any news on the next Total War game?

Didn't you say you were not interested in Warhammer? Set to be released May 24th. And they are planning to make it a trilogy (kinda like Starcraft 2). So if you were hoping for a historical TW game, best hope that CA has a separate team working on that. Otherwise it will be some time until we see one.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

It looks like that bit you circled except that its bent inward towards where you stick the card into the motherboard instead of continuing straight back.  It's a full size case so i cant imagine its a room issue.  If not for the flange hitting the board it would fit.  I'll grab the specs when I get home.

How hard would it be to unbend it? And most of the support is on the other side, where the screws go. If you have the means, you can cut it off.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Didn't you say you were not interested in Warhammer? Set to be released May 24th. And they are planning to make it a trilogy (kinda like Starcraft 2). So if you were hoping for a historical TW game, best hope that CA has a separate team working on that. Otherwise it will be some time until we see one.

You're clowning...

You're not clowning...

I sense clowns...

And while some people here disagree, I am really excited for Total Warhammer.  They look like they've worked hard to figure out what worked well and what didn't and tried to improve on that formula.  Plus, the fantasy setting is letting them go wild with some unique mechanics to make each race feel completely different.  For instance, Vampire Counts don't have any ranged units whatsoever and the greenskins suffer attrition penalties the longer they've been away from a battle.  I'm excited.  

Archived