Targ incest: Is it a good thing?

RobOsevens

I figured this would be very divisive so a good choice for my first OP B).

Is Targaryen incest a good thing or necessary? 

We are told that: “King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness were two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.” Most believe this is because of the incest, which is a reasonable assumption imo.

Many of us think Aerys was Mad because of the incest and Joffrey's terrible tendencies are usually blamed on this as well.

But it is also believed that the PtwP will come from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. 

So if the PtwP is destined to save the world (or at least make some grand contribution) then the question stands: Is Targaryen incest a good thing or necessary? 

I'm not sure if Targaryen madness has to do with incest or not as it is still very much a fan theory, but what we do know is that if Targs try to produce offspring that don't share at least some of their blood, then they produce lizard-like abominations.

We also have historical evidence of royal families intra-marrying to preserve their royal blood so it's not out of the ordinary.

5 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I'm not sure if Targaryen madness has to do with incest or not as it is still very much a fan theory, but what we do know is that if Targs try to produce offspring that don't share at least some of their blood, then they produce lizard-like abominations.

We also have historical evidence of royal families intra-marrying to preserve their royal blood so it's not out of the ordinary.

Is that 100%? 

Just now, Lord Lannister said:

So is someone going to truly argue that screwing your own sibling is a good thing under any circumstances?

Well that is where I'm going with this (not because I condone it) but because in the books it could lead to AA or PtwP and they could save the world

2 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

Well that is where I'm going with this (not because I condone it) but because in the books it could lead to AA or PtwP and they could save the world

Then why did Rhaegar mess around with Elia and Lyanna again? He was actively trying to fulfill that prophecy after all.

Just now, RobOsevens said:

and where did Rhaegar come from? 

Rhaegar wouldn't be around if not for incest

I'm not even sure what you're arguing. The only positive of incest, keeping a bloodline pure, is even a moot point in this case. Azor Ahai wasn't even a Targaryen given the legend would've happened before Aegon's landing after all. Heck half of the candidates are either marginally Targaryen or aren't at all.

Nowhere said their madness was originally due to incest. It can be madness gene already in their pool and incest just gave it more chance to be expressed. 

Which is funny, because even they saw so many bad products from incest, they still try very hard to do it. Rhaegar would not marry either elia or lyanna if there is a sister for him to marry. So this means they feel it is worthy. 

Nowhere said their madness was originally due to incest. It can be madness gene already in their pool and incest just gave it more chance to be expressed. 

Which is funny, because even they saw so many bad products from incest, they still try very hard to do it. Rhaegar would not marry either elia or lyanna if there is a sister for him to marry. So this means they feel it is worthy. 

24 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Speaking of monstrous abomination babies... I guess Joanna Lannister didn't have any Targ blood then - snap!

41 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

Speaking of monstrous abomination babies... I guess Joanna Lannister didn't have any Targ blood then - snap!

Tyrion maybe a product of first cousin incest. Better than sibling, but there is some risk. 

1 hour ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Out of the ordinary though it may not be, the same historical evidence undeniably shows us that interbreeding within a specific degree of relation nets a number of mental and physical abnormalities due to genetics. No thanks.

I'm with those who say it's a bad thing. As for the PtwP, meh.

Archived