You're Sansa, what do you do?

TimJames

You're Sansa Stark, daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and sister of King Robb Stark. Your betrothed, King Joffery Baratheon Waters, has murdered your father and is ruling through terror and brutality. Your brother and both of Joffery's uncles are rebelling against his tyranny, and your younger sister Arya is nowhere to be found.

What do you do? Will you attempt to escape and reunite with your brother, or will you try to help your family from Kings Landing?

1 hour ago, TimJames said:

You're Sansa Stark, daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and sister of King Robb Stark. Your betrothed, King Joffery Baratheon Waters, has murdered your father and is ruling through terror and brutality. Your brother and both of Joffery's uncles are rebelling against his tyranny, and your younger sister Arya is nowhere to be found.

What do you do? Will you attempt to escape and reunite with your brother, or will you try to help your family from Kings Landing?

Since I am Sansa and I was raised to be a proper lady and not rock the boat I would end up doing exactly what Sansa did in the books, mostly because I am Sansa, and Sansa was written in a specific way to do certain things that are important to the plot of the story 

Because, going by the question I'm at least partly me as well as her, I probably would have folded towards Tyrion's kindness. After so long with nobody giving one tiny damn how miserable I've been, and recalling that he is not like his kin, I'd have wound up starting to talk to and trust him. 

The fact that he was so obviously also miserable, lonely and treated like garbage by his family would have gotten to me as well. I guess I'm a sucker (or, thank God, have not been through what she had). So we'd have formed at least the foundation of a friendship and some trust and companionship. 

My trust would probably not have extended to telling him about Dontos or the hairnet, primarily because I wouldn't have known WTH to tell him... but when Joff began to be quite obviously dying, I'd likely have grabbed his hand and yanked him along with me to Dontos, out of the castle, and up to the ship's rope ladder. 

Where Lothor Brune would immediately shot him dead at Littlefinger's command.  Annddd off we go. 

I will do what Sansa did, because if I were in her position I wouldn't do anything differently. She knew how to survive with the terms she was given, just like Arya did when she escaped King's Landing. Side note: If Arya and Sansa were in each other's positions, I doubt either of them would survive.

2 hours ago, Unbent_Unbroken said:

Stay on the Lannisters' good side for my own survival, keep my eyes and ears open, and when the Tyrell offer comes, take it and tell no one. So mostly what she did in canon.

Yeah, you kind of have to because YOU ARE sansa. not , sansa is you for a time 

Sansa did pretty much what she could. She kept her head down and passively resisted Joffrey and Cersei once her naivete was shattered and she saw what was what. Her main mistake was trusting Dontos. Sparing him was the kind thing to do, but I would've been suspicious of him after that first meeting as creepy as he was acting and still drunk to boot. I'd have asked him to stop trying to contact me and tell him if he does, I'll tell Joffrey. That possibly eliminates the leak of the Tyrells plans to marry me off to Willas. If that works out, I go south and escape King's Landing. Whatever Willas is, it's bound to be better. Beyond that I can only hope to find what solace I can and hope things work out for the rest of my family. If Varys still manages to find out, I'll marry Tyrion over Lancel as he showed me some kindness. I might let him consummate the marriage out of pity, I definitely would lie/fabricate that the consummation took place when it became a problem for him. Beyond that, I'd ask my lord husband if we can't go home when the Boltons go North. Whatever else happens, it gets me away from King's Landing and my countrymen might free me down the road.

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Sansa did pretty much what she could. She kept her head down and passively resisted Joffrey and Cersei once her naivete was shattered and she saw what was what. Her main mistake was trusting Dontos. Sparing him was the kind thing to do, but I would've been suspicious of him after that first meeting as creepy as he was acting and still drunk to boot. I'd have asked him to stop trying to contact me and tell him if he does, I'll tell Joffrey. That possibly eliminates the leak of the Tyrells plans to marry me off to Willas. If that works out, I go south and escape King's Landing. Whatever Willas is, it's bound to be better. Beyond that I can only hope to find what solace I can and hope things work out for the rest of my family. If Varys still manages to find out, I'll marry Tyrion over Lancel as he showed me some kindness. I might let him consummate the marriage out of pity, I definitely would lie/fabricate that the consummation took place when it became a problem for him. Beyond that, I'd ask my lord husband if we can't go home when the Boltons go North. Whatever else happens, it gets me away from King's Landing and my countrymen might free me down the road.

Like your scenario, but I've always been suspicious of Willas Tyrell. I don't really have a good reason, but he could be another Ramsay for all sweet Sansa knows. Who does Willas name those fine hounds he's known for breeding after? 

8 minutes ago, sarah.jenice said:

Like your scenario, but I've always been suspicious of Willas Tyrell. I don't really have a good reason, but he could be another Ramsay for all sweet Sansa knows. Who does Willas name those fine hounds he's known for breeding after? 

It's possible, but in Sansa's situation it would be worth taking the chance. His nicknaming of Garlan as "gallant" before he could be dubbed "gross" seems to indicate he's caring for his family. If he happens to enjoy animals, I can't see how that's automatically a fault. He has birds and horses along with those dogs after all. He didn't bear Oberyn a grudge for maiming him, despite their family histories. Even the Queen of Thorns seemed to think highly of him, despite her apparent low opinion of Mace(though I sometimes wonder if that's a ruse to make people underestimate him). The three Tyrell children we see are quite well adjusted and decent enough after all which argues he's likely to be as well. If the Tyrells have a vice collectively it's that they're quite ambitious, but given that ambition is what would be providing her an escape, she could hardly fault that. 

1 hour ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

Fall deep into depression, most likely.

Most likely this.

I think she did a lot of one can do in that situation. The one thing that I would criticize is that she never actively tries to learn anything. She went from "Everyone's a hero" to "Everyone's a monster", which is just as wrong. We know for a fact that Hound, Jaime, Tyrion, Arys Oakheart, and probably many more were not that bad. Not that they would necessarily help her escape or something, but they could provide her with a bit of gentleness and support. Tyrion and Hound did and she did benefit. If instead of waiting for mercy, she would have sought it, chances are she would have gotten more. So I would put things in bullet points:

• Start reading: Something NON-religous. History of House Baratheon and Lannister could be a start. She could explain it as preparing herself to be a good wife for the future King. It wouldn't necessarily help her with her current situation but it would ground her a bit. I was reading tons of History when I was 10-15, it is not that far-fetched.
  • Start going to all court sessions: Helps her understand people and political situation of Kings Landing better. She is really young and probably would not learn much, but she could get a glimpse of their true selves. She would start being the only Stark that actually follows politics.
  • Start socializing: Shine in terms of fashion and music, she is supposed to be really good at this. Myrcella was in town for a large portion of her captivity, she could have socialized with her and other young daughters in court. Not everything needs to be political. She is said to be very sweet and lovely. Let people see her and care for her.
  • Maybe get involved in some charity work in RK or KL through Myrcella? I am not sure how possible this would be, but it would be good for her morale, being useful really helps one in bad situations.
  • Also like others, I wouldn't tell anyone about the Tyrell scheme, and at least connect the dots a bit when things went south. Also, given that Tyrion is so mistreated in his own family, I would bond with him over the History(huh) and being a victim. He has a good heart.

18 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

It's possible, but in Sansa's situation it would be worth taking the chance. His nicknaming of Garlan as "gallant" before he could be dubbed "gross" seems to indicate he's caring for his family. If he happens to enjoy animals, I can't see how that's automatically a fault. He has birds and horses along with those dogs after all. He didn't bear Oberyn a grudge for maiming him, despite their family histories. Even the Queen of Thorns seemed to think highly of him, despite her apparent low opinion of Mace(though I sometimes wonder if that's a ruse to make people underestimate him). The three Tyrell children we see are quite well adjusted and decent enough after all which argues he's likely to be as well. If the Tyrells have a vice collectively it's that they're quite ambitious, but given that ambition is what would be providing her an escape, she could hardly fault that. 

I'm sure he's super. If he had actually possessed some horrible flaw, Sana probably would have ended up there. 

I really enjoy the Tyrells, but I do feel like they are more devious than they appear. I can't really blame them since it's going to take fighting fire with fire to best the Lannisters. 

Pretty much what she did in canon, to be honest. 

I'm a 11/12/13 year old girl at a hostile court, a hostage and the kings plaything. Keeping my head down, being polite and quietly plotting my escape is pretty much all there is for me. I'd like to say I wouldn't have trusted Dontos with the Tyrell marriage plans, but honestly? I'm really not sure. He's the only one who actively tries to help her (Tyrion is not going to help her escape KL, which she knows, and he's a Lannister, which kinda disqualifies him from the start) and she's a young kid desperately in need of someone she can actually talk to, so... yeah, chances are I'd end up doing pretty much everything the same as Sansa did.

1 hour ago, shizett said:

Start socializing: Shine in terms of fashion and music, she is supposed to be really good at this. Myrcella was in town for a large portion of her captivity, she could have socialized with her and other young daughters in court. Not everything needs to be political. She is said to be very sweet and lovely. Let people see her and care for her.

Doesn't she already do this? I remember Tyrion commenting on the fact that she really knows how to work a room somewhere in ASOS, and nobody seems surprised by it, so it was my impression that she was socializing, as much as she could anyway.

3 minutes ago, Queen Alienor said:

Doesn't she already do this? I remember Tyrion commenting on the fact that she really knows how to work a room somewhere in ASOS, and nobody seems surprised by it, so it was my impression that she was socializing, as much as she could anyway

I think she is capable, but doesn't do much of it. She spent a lot of time in the sept and then the god's wood for its peace and quiet probably to avoid people's look and gossip. Before Margeary we never actually saw her socializing with anyone, hear some gossip, have a clue about what was actually happening.

Archived