Paper book or Ebook? - Part II

AncalagonTheBlack

23 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Not really. As I said upthread, we spend a lot more than six bucks to see a movie, and we don't think that entitles us to forever access.

When you buy a movie ticket, you are paying for one viewing and everyone knows that. The movie theaters don't claim that you are buying the movie to own it and rewatch it on a whim. It is not a comparable case at all.

13 minutes ago, David Selig said:

When you buy a movie ticket, you are paying for one viewing and everyone knows that. The movie theaters don't claim that you are buying the movie to own it and rewatch it on a whim. It is not a comparable case at all.

As Ser Scot says, the publishers aren't guaranteeing forever access to that ebook, either. I think this is just a case of adjusting expectations, and that's what's happening with ebooks. 

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

David,

I'm also unaware of any publisher representing to the buying public that it is okay to just take digital copies of their work an save it in multiple mediums or to make more than one copy at a time.  Am I incorrect about that?

Some publishers sell their books without DRM (when possible, you can't do it on Amazon). Tor Books for example. You can legally copy their books for your personal use as much as you want and the publisher is fine with that and welcomes it.

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

David,

I'm also unaware of any publisher representing to the buying public that it is okay to just take digital copies of their work an save it in multiple mediums or to make more than one copy at a time.  Am I incorrect about that?

Even with Amazon or Barnes & Noble, it's fine to have multiple copies across platforms. That's why they have apps for phones and whatnot. You can read the same ebook on a phone, ereader or computer with the same file being on each machine at the same time.

6 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Some publishers sell their books without DRM (when possible, you can't do it on Amazon). Tor Books for example. You can legally copy their books for your personal use as much as you want and the publisher is fine with that and welcomes it.

I think that's great. I sell my own books on Smashwords, DRM-free. Anyone who wants to throw open those doors is welcome to do so.

Archived