The Seasons of My Love song is a prelude to Catelyn

Abdallah

So in a Game of Thrones Tyrion mentions that Tysha would sing. and according to the wiki the lyrics are mentioned in various a clash of kings chapters

I loved a maid as fair as summer
with sunlight in her hair.[2]
I loved a maid as red as autumn
with sunset in her hair.[3]
I loved a maid as white as winter
with moonglow in her hair.[4] 

And if you think about it it's describing the life of Catelyn. She had brighter red when she was a child ( i think) darker red when we meet her in the books, and white hair when lady stoneheart. 

When I clicked on this, I thought you meant Seasons of Love from Rent. I was open to your interpretation, but I imagine UnCat/Lady Stoneheart measures a year in dead Freys and Lannisters rather than love.

This makes a lot more sense. I don't remember this song from the books, so I must\ salute you for pointing it out! I can see how these visuals could represent Catelyn's youth, death and reanimated corpse visage, and while I now have a much greater appreciation for the subtle story being told through Catelyn's hair, I don't think the first couplet fits as well as the others do.

I wouldn't really describe auburn hair as having sunlight in it. That sounds blond, but from all accounts, Catelyn was fair in her youth, so I guess it could work. 

The second couplet definitely stirs up some strong images of Cat's death. The reference to sunset and autumn both conjure up the feeling of a life ending and the emphasis on the color red reminds me of her blood soaking into her hair as she was dying. Her last thoughts always get to me:

"It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb… Robb… please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting… The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed. “Mad,” someone said, “she’s lost her wits,” and someone else said, “Make an end,” and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she’d done with Jinglebell, and she thought,No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold." - A Storm of Swords, Ch. 51, Catelyn VII

Finally, I agree that the third couplet works with her resurrection as a living/undead corpse with the white LS hair color and winter/moonlight subtly referencing the series' "Other" resident zombies - the wights.  

Great post, Abdallah! I really enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, sarah.jenice said:

When I clicked on this, I thought you meant Seasons of Love from Rent. I was open to your interpretation, but I imagine UnCat/Lady Stoneheart measures a year in dead Freys and Lannisters rather than love.

This makes a lot more sense. I don't remember this song from the books, so I must\ salute you for pointing it out! I can see how these visuals could represent Catelyn's youth, death and reanimated corpse visage, and while I now have a much greater appreciation for the subtle story being told through Catelyn's hair, I don't think the first couplet fits as well as the others do.

I wouldn't really describe auburn hair as having sunlight in it. That sounds blond, but from all accounts, Catelyn was fair in her youth, so I guess it could work. 

The second couplet definitely stirs up some strong images of Cat's death. The reference to sunset and autumn both conjure up the feeling of a life ending and the emphasis on the color red reminds me of her blood soaking into her hair as she was dying. Her last thoughts always get to me:

Finally, I agree that the third couplet works with her resurrection as a living/undead corpse with the white LS hair color and winter/moonlight subtly referencing the series' "Other" resident zombies - the wights.  

Great post, Abdallah! I really enjoyed it.

Thank you. :)

Archived