Cutting the cord

Corvinus85

9 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Nope. Can't.  Footy on the tv is kind of a big deal to me.  And  then there are the years we opt to buy the baseball package too. 

Yep. Even if we could get high-speed internet in some other way (still not feasible at this time), we'd have cable to watch sports. I DGAF about shows or HBO or any of that, really.

I think if cord cutting does become more prevalent you will see the carriers move to significantly higher charges for internet data access. Hopefully the growth of municipal and other private carriers will create more competition and options. Right now the only way to get broadband internet is through comcast so if they see a huge spike in cord cutting they will replace that review but upping the price of internet service.

3 hours ago, Isabel said:

Wow that's so expensive for Internet and TV. Really not normal. In the Netherlands it's like 40-60 euro's depending on the package.

This is expensive too ;). I pay 10 euros a month for 150 mbps internet connection without data cap. If I wanted to add cable TV, that's another 5-10 euro tops. This is in the EU.

1 minute ago, Solmyr said:

This is expensive too ;). I pay 10 euros a month for 150 mbps internet connection without data cap. If I wanted to add cable, that's another 5-10 euro tops. This is in the EU.

:o As part of the package I pay $54/month for 60 mbps internet. Granted I feel the speed is good enough for streaming and downloading large programs like video games, but still, the difference is making me mad now.

In terms of the savings I could make, I did some calculations. Provided the internet cost doesn't go up (small chance of that) by cutting the TV cord and then signing up for another few streaming services + buying season passes for a few shows, I could save as much as $70/month.

But not being able to watch sports content is still the major drawback.

8 hours ago, Isabel said:

Wow that's so expensive for Internet and TV. Really not normal. In the Netherlands it's like 40-60 euro's depending on the package.

Yes, that was my first reaction. But then I looked a bit and realized it is easy to push this up to more than €100 simply by adding some football and movie packages (which seem to be included in the discussion here). Buying those seems to be a lot more rare here though.

We only use streaming services such as Netflix & Amazon Prime. We don't even pay for a TV licence, as we never watch live TV. The aerial wasn't in the back of the TV for a long time, so I said, fuck it, why pay the BBC an extortionate amount a year for a service we don't use? 

Sky keeps sending me crap about their TV packages, but it's just not something I'd ever consider worth paying for. We have all the catch-up channels, enough movies and boxsets, and don't watch sports.

We've gone back and forth about it - getting rid of cable and just having phone/internet and using some of the Hulu/Netlfix services.  Unfortunately not all the shows my son likes to watch are on Amazon Prime but I think we're getting into a show change anyway, so we might make the cut soon.  For a few years we had done the cancel dance with HBO, but I think after this season for GoT we might do the cancel and no dance.

Archived