Whom would you most like to smack for sheer stupidity

LadyoftheNorth72

... and why?

No limitations to one character or one moment. 

For me at the moment, it's Sam for the way he has utterly bollocked up the entire trip to Oldtown. For someone so educated, he doesn't seem to be able to cipher, and at the moment (in my current reread) his solution seems to be to sit around wishing for a magic lamp to appear. 

I can handle the uneducated or naturally non-intellectual, especially those given no opportunities. But he's had a good education, and been through enough above the Wall that trying to face this problem should NOT be this difficult. He knows Dareon is a lost cause and Aemon is going to die, so for pete's sake, get off your ass and go look for a solution! Does he expect Gilly to do it?

Multiple characters.

Cersei is stupid, but honestly, it's kinda amusing.

Victarion should just disappear in a hole somewhere.

Rhaegar Targaryen almost certainly counts, no matter what he actually wanted by kidnapping/eloping with Lyanna. Disappearing with the daughter of a Lord Paramount who is also betrothed to another Lord Paramount, in a way that makes everyone point their finger at him immediately? Yeah, that's not a good idea, no matter what he intended.

If Lyanna eloped with him because she loved him, then she counts to a certain point, too, though with her the fact that she's 16 has to be considered.

There's many others, but that's the ones I can think of at the moment...

20 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Dany for taking Slavers bay because you cant have westeros and essos its one or the other

Actually that's quite an interesting thought that I actually don't remember ever encountering on this forum before! People are always asking when will Dany make it to Westeros and just forget about or abandon or leave Meereen. What if GRRM is considering Dany's establishing a new Targaryen dynasty as the ruler of Essos and Westeros, it is always and I mean always posed as if when she leaves for Westeros she will concentrate only on Westeros, but I have never really encountered people considering Daenerys as the eventual ruler of it all, it is a very interesting proposition!!

Stacey Dash

I'd whack Jon for choosing to march against Ramsay instead of ignoring his bluff. And if he wasn't bluffing, Jon still should've let that idiot travel hundreds on miles in the middle of a blizzard, see in what shape he arrives at Castle Black, if he arrives at all. Assuming Ramsay and a few other fuckers make it, I just set Wun Wun on their exhausted asses and call it a day. 

Cat for her many, many awful decisions.  And for being so super smug while making them.  She thinks she is the smartest person in the kingdom and yet continues to make awful choices.  Not sure which one of those attributes makes me want to smack her more. 

Robb for Jeyne.  Just get your freak on with the chick if she's so damn hot, but keep your word to the Freys.  There was no need to marry her. 

Dany because she is just a young girl and knows nothing in the ways of anything but screwing Daario.   

13 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Cat for her many, many awful decisions.  And for being so super smug while making them.  She thinks she is the smartest person in the kingdom and yet continues to make awful choices.  Not sure which one of those attributes makes me want to smack her more.

Cat is pretty shrewd though, I'd say her only disastrous action was the Catnapping.

Following that event, pretty much every she says and does is sensible, even arguably freeing Jaime. She becomes the voice of reason in Robb's camp.

EDIT: She is kind of smug, though. I agree.

Archived