Tennis Volume 6

Calibandar

Same thoughts here Leap. Would have much preferred Djokovic to advance and play Fed in the semi finals.

I expect Fed will comfortably take Berdych, obviously, and for the other semi I think Cilic will go through.

All in all a bit of a letdown, with the bright note being Federer's excellence, a joy to watch. Unfortunately I also missed the first two sets yesterday, which were apparently sublime, so will catch that on youtube.

Ladies semifinal of Williams vs Konta will be a barnstormer...the British crowd have really got behind Konta.

Re the men's semifinals, I'd like Fed to get his swansong Wimbledon but if not him, any of the others would do. Querrey is probably the biggest outsider of it. Cilic has won a Slam before, and his game seems quite suited to grass (big serve, hard and flat groundstrokes) so I'd expect him to face Fed in a final. That being said, Berdych and Querrey aren't any slouches with the serve either so who knows what they could pull out.

Well that escalated quickly after such a tight first set.

I think Cilic should give Federer a good match. He has an outside chance if he has a very good serving day.

4 hours ago, Leap said:

Well, not at all on a par with the AO final of this year, but a well deserved win by Federer all the same. What an absolute champion - 19 slams, 8 at Wimbledon, 2 at the age of 35. Absolutely mental.

I hope the best for Marin now, he's a great player and it's a huge shame that it happened like this. 

Amazing... Simply amazing. It is borderline fantastical and yet, it is happening. Whatever adjective we use, it is simply not enough to describe what he is doing this year.

We spoke about tectonic shifts at the top of the list and it is happening. Roger started the year as n.17 and now he is closing the gap between him and Murray. And with his newly founded confidence over Nadal, I am fairly confident in Roger's chances of becoming n.1 again. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not sure fed will play enough to be no 1 at end of year. This approach is really working for him. 

He doesn't have to play a lot. He can be smart about his appearances, and if he is as effective as he has been so far, I see no reason why he wouldn't end the year as n.1. He simply has no points to defend. 

Fairly disappointing end to Wimbledon in my opinion, very low key affair this year.

Yes Federer wins, and yes he was convincing and solid throughout. But he was never really challenged, and with Nadal, Murray and Djoker all out, we got a very underwhelming final, it must be said.

Berdych probably gave the best account of himself in the match against Fed, and even that was a straight setter.

I am looking forward to the American hardcourt tournaments, they are always among my favorites to watch.

• 1 month later...

With the news in that Murray has withdrawn after all, it's indeed looking very bare.

So we have Djokovic, Murray, Stan the Man, Nishikori and Raonic all out. Del Potro may be competing but that looks to be at 60% of his old strength.

However there's still the Fed Express :)

Question is though, is he free of injury? He withdrew from Cincinnati with a back injury and that came a day after he lost to Zverev in a final in which he looks completeky out of sorts. That whole tournament in Toronot hasn't been massive from Fed, but that final it seemed to me that something was not right. A day later that turned out to be correct. Hopefully he's ok.

Nadal... he's not the same on hardcourt, that much is clear. Lost to Kyrgios last week, who finally had a convincing tournamet again after many months of injury woes, woes that may in fact still be going on. If Zverev is well rested after hardly playing in Cincinnati ( lost early in a match that he clearly tossed) he has a chance to reach the semi's or even a final here.

So one of Carreño Busta, Schwartzman, Lorenzi, Shapovolov, Pouille, Kukushkin, Anderson, Coric, Querrey, Albot, Isner and Mischa Zverev is guaranteed to be in a Grand Slam final...

Querrey the only previous semi-finalist. With Pouille the only one to have been in multiple quarters.

Yeah, pretty amazing. And Fed is not looking good so far. Can't rememeber the tournament he had to play two five-setters in the first two rounds. There may not come to Nadal-Federer semifinal clash after all, and not because of Nadal. Hope he can get a grip in later rounds, but his quarter looks the toughest now I'm afraid, with Delpo and Thiem. And even Lopez would be much tougher than the previous two.

Shapovalov is a super talent. He looks legit to me and a possible world no.1 at some point in the same way as Zverev does.

These are the only two young players about whom I'd say that right now. I hope he goes far here, he already did a few weeks ago in Montreal.

Federer with a fine performance last night against Lopez, looking much better.

Ah shame, Shapovalov beaten in 3 tie breaks by the uber solid Pablo Carreno.

Just the sort of player that exciting youngsters tend to go down to, it must be said, the very model of stabile baseline play.

Apparently Shapovalov had played 3 qualifiying matches as well, all of which he won with ease. I thought he might have gotten in without qualifiying after that Montreal semi finals in a Masters.

Bizarre match between Delpo and Thiem. First two sets Thiem blew by Del Potro who looked a shell of himself, injured, looked as if he would throw in the towel after every game. Lost every single baseline rally. I turned off the tv and woke up to find he's won in 5 sets...

And relatively comfortable win for Fed in the fourth. As much as I like Delpo, I still hope Fed will eventually lift the trophy here, though Nadal looks pretty strong and it might be the hell of a semifinal, provided they both meet there. Bottom half is an enigma for me, every single one of these four players can do it.

Archived