Calibandar

Tennis Volume 6

264 posts in this topic

What a dream final, the tension was unbelievable. I'm so happy to be proved wrong, I was so sure after the fourth set, that Nadal would grab it. Great match, fantastic outcome. Federer may retire now in his prime, just like Sampras did.

3 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

What a dream final, the tension was unbelievable. I'm so happy to be proved wrong, I was so sure after the fourth set, that Nadal would grab it. Great match, fantastic outcome. Federer may retire now in his prime, just like Sampras did.

:agree:

Amazing... What an amazing match and what a glorious win. I am thoroughly impressed by both Federer and Nadal and I am sure to remember this match for years to come. Great sportsmen, great match... Truly speechless.

That was amazing. Such a wild ride. That final set was outstanding, I think the penultimate game was the best of the tournament.

I'd have been sceptical if you told me that Roger would take it in 5, but he somehow managed it. Amazing especially with how well Nadal played. Best match I've ever seen, shame there had to be a winner.

After today, I'm hoping this will be a great season for both Roger and Rafa. Roll on RG and #10!

Funny, when I was hoping through years Federer would take the 18th slam at last, I was so sure it would be Wimbledon or US Open. That just proves I know nothing and I'm happy with it.

My recording gave up at 3:3 in the 5th

I wasn't happy.

Fortunately I happened to be about half an hour ahead of BBC's highlights, so I managed to watch the rest as well.

Safe to say, my man-crush for Roger is alive and well. So glad they were both able to play (really) well, and not end up in a cripple-fight of whoever's less injured

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Funny, when I was hoping through years Federer would take the 18th slam at last, I was so sure it would be Wimbledon or US Open. That just proves I know nothing and I'm happy with it.

The thing is, these are all reasonable predictions; this tournament and the match are really just out of nowhere given the last, well, decade of tennis - partly what makes it so much more fun than every tournament in the last two years at least

I am so happy for Federer. This makes up for all these painful losses against Nadal in 2008-2010. His backhand was remarkably stable throughout the match, this is the first time in a Slam match against Nadal when Nadal's tactics of pressuring Federer's backhand with heavy topspin didn't work. And Federer played the big points remarkably well in the fifth. His strategy was great throughout, he stayed aggressive, he mixed up his game constantly he never allowed Nadal to get into his preferred rhythm of predictable backcourt side to side rallies. And the serve of course was crucial.

Wow. I know I poopooed Federer a lot in this thread back in September, but damn, I was wrong. I guess you should never count him out. In hindsight, this 6-months-break worked extremely well for him, it allowed him to recover physically and more importantly mentally (similar to Ronnie O'Sullivan in Snooker a couple of years ago). In his absence he got to experience life away from the tour and it made him more relaxed than I've ever seen him. He has nothing to prove and thus has no pressure on him now and that makes him stronger than many of the other top players. I'm intrigued to see how far this comeback takes him, but as long as he keeps playing like this, he should continue until he's 40. Djokovic on the other hand, will probably retire soon. Or maybe take a 6-months-break as well, I think he probably needs it at this point.

The last thing I would want is for him to retire now. Glad to hear he is not even considering it.

I just want to see him play.

Very tense final. His backhand does indeed look much more formidable and no longer such a glaring point of weakness for opponents. He's hitting genuine winners with it as well. 

Great to see him back. And Nadal as well. But glad Federer won this. I never understood why people here and elsewhere kept writing him off last year just because he took an extended break for the first time and was 34 years old. If you've seen him play the last two seasons, he doesn't look close to being done.

Edited by Calibandar

Quite some ending to the Canada - Britain Davis Cup tie. Shapovalov defaulted for (unintentionally) hammering the ball into the umpire's face.

Ha! Have to feel a little bad for Shapovalov, he's quite young to be embarrassing himself on the international stage. Can't think of many worse ways to lose a match.

And another win for Federer against Nadal.

What has happened to this guy and why hasn't he done it before? :D 

if Kyrgios ever manages to fully control his demons, he has a chance to fill the big 4 void all by himself.  

Man, I'd have loved to see last night's matches live. Given their recent runs of form, I am not too surprised that Kyrgios beat Djokovic so handily. I am surprised that Federer took down Nadal like he did though. IW is slower than the AO and yet he completely dominated him. The match lasted barely over an hour. 

I know Fed really brought it for Nadal, but I hope we see Fed and Kyrgios play as well tomorrow night.

I really hope this signifies Kyrgios getting his head in the game for good. He's definitely going to win multiple slams if he plays like that, though I can also see him retiring early. I hope it makes Tomic step up too, that guy is also really talented, he's just a complete arsehole too.

Posted (edited)

I wanted to post here but then Leap said word for word what I was going to say.

I'm really enjoying watching Kyrgios of late. He's an attractive player and now that he's combining that with a string of wins ( including top players).. yeah, good stuff. In the last round he beat Zverev in two sets in the Battle of the Super Talents.

I have recorded his match against Djokovic ( once again, early exit) and Federer vs Nadal as well. Surprised to see Fed's done such a number on Nadal, on a somewhat slower court as well.

Kind of interesting as well that Kyrgios has now beaten the Djoker twice in the space of two weeks, on hardcourt, in their first two confrontations.

Edited by Calibandar

Kyrgios has withdrawn due to illness, meaning Fed gets a free pass to the next round. Disappointing, but Kyrgios' statement was really mature and given his performance and commitment to the tournament so far, I'm happy to accept this as an unfortunate situation. 

That said, I am doubly excited about what this means for Federer. He's playing Nishikori or Sock next, and then likely Stan. That's looking like a good route to another 1000 points *touch wood*. That puts him far, far ahead in the Race to London, and he's already 500 points up.

ANOTHER amazing performance from Federer... This man is becoming unstoppable. It seems that this year Big 4 has come down to one name.

With Djokovic and Murray out of Miami, Roger can go for another Masters... :D Sky is the limit these days for Maestro.

Federer wins! That's his 25th Masters 1000 title, which is pretty amazing. Especially at this age. The only surprising stat is that Federer only served 2 aces in the entire match. This, compared to Wimbledon 2016 when he was serving nearly as many as Karlovic. I wonder if he had to trade in that for his new backhand.

All this bodes well for his season from now, as he didn't drop a single set in the entire tournament. He didn't play Andy or Novak, but neither of those two are playing particularly well right now anyway, whilst Wawrinka, Sock and Nadal all are (well, Nadal isn't by his own standards, but at least he didn't go out to a low seeded player). Pretty much a perfect run up to Miami, which Andy and Novak are both going to miss.

He's also now at 3045 in the race to London, whereas Nadal is still somewhat below 2000 in second place. He also moves up to 6th place on the regular rankings. A strong showing at Miami could push him into the top 5, and a victory might even put him in the top 3.

Exciting times. I hope this Federerennaisance lasts a little longer, because I imagine it won't be long now until Thiem, Kyrgios and Zverev become full time residents of the top ten.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

He's also now at 3045 in the race to London, whereas Nadal is still somewhat below 2000 in second place. He also moves up to 6th place on the regular rankings. A strong showing at Miami could push him into the top 5, and a victory might even put him in the top 3.

Who would have thought that we would see the Singles Race going in this direction? I think that AO title and those two wins against Nadal did wonders for Federer's mental state and his "I have nothing to lose anymore" attitude is obviously working. If he continues like this, there will be some tectonic shift at the top of the ATP rankings. And I can't wait for that.

On the other hand, Murray and Djokovic need to wake up. Together they didn't reach 1000 points this year. Andy always had his issues, but Novak's state is even more troublesome as it seems no one knows what the issue is. Except of the traditionalist Serbs who hate veganism :D  

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Exciting times. I hope this Federerennaisance lasts a little longer, because I imagine it won't be long now until Thiem, Kyrgios and Zverev become full time residents of the top ten.

I have to say I am really rooting for young Zverev. He seems like a truly nice fellow, and I would like to see him making it big. We had such high hopes for Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov, and the previous generation fought them successfully. With Kyrgios winning Novak and even Federer, one can only hope that the mantle will pass to the hands of another great players.

9 hours ago, Risto said:

Who would have thought that we would see the Singles Race going in this direction? I think that AO title and those two wins against Nadal did wonders for Federer's mental state and his "I have nothing to lose anymore" attitude is obviously working. If he continues like this, there will be some tectonic shift at the top of the ATP rankings. And I can't wait for that.

On the other hand, Murray and Djokovic need to wake up. Together they didn't reach 1000 points this year. Andy always had his issues, but Novak's state is even more troublesome as it seems no one knows what the issue is. Except of the traditionalist Serbs who hate veganism :D  

Couldn't agree more, Federer's got to be riding one of the mental highs of his career right now. I really hope it doesn't stop anytime soon. Rankings aside, him winning Wimbledon again would be amazing. 

Both Murray and Djokovic seem a little lost right now, as well as coping with injuries. They're both well ahead of the pack, but both stand to lose a lot by the end of Roland Garros. Between now and then, Novak is defending 4600+ points, with at least 1000 definitely about to be dropped in Miami. Murray is defending at least 3250 too. Rafa is defending 1500+ but looks like he may even be able to improve on that, whilst Federer isn't even defending 1000 points. Tectonic shift incoming indeed! 

9 hours ago, Risto said:

I have to say I am really rooting for young Zverev. He seems like a truly nice fellow, and I would like to see him making it big. We had such high hopes for Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov, and the previous generation fought them successfully. With Kyrgios winning Novak and even Federer, one can only hope that the mantle will pass to the hands of another great players.

Agreed. I think Dimitrov, Raonic and Nishikori still have shots at a slam, particularly with the season developing as it is, but this season may be their last opportunity before they become ''the lost generation'', or so to say. To be honest, Kyrgios is by all accounts a pretty decent guy in person, and is not at all the cunt you may reasonable expect from his onstage antics. Plus, he really seems to be getting his head in the game.