Calibandar

Tennis Volume 6

289 posts in this topic

The Kings are back... We have seen Fedex on hard courts and now Nadal on clay. Simply, no point denying, they are doing wonders and currently are 2 best players on the Tour.

Now, things get interesting. Djokovic defends 3000 points from Rome and Rolland Garros, and he is under 7000 points now. Nadal reached some 5300 points and will be 4th on Tour. I sincerely doubt Djokovic has the stamina to defend those 3000 points and Nadal is going to go through these two like a hot knife through butter. Depending on how far Federer goes in RG, we can see Djokovic falling to any of the following: 3rd, 4th, 5th. Murray is still not in danger, but it has been like that solely due to the fact that he didn't defend too many points, but with the end of RG, it will be on Murray to really step up if he wants to defend N.1 place. 

Well, it has been a decent RG so far. Very disappointing to see Pablo Carreno-Busta have to retire today, that's not what you want in a QFs - though very impressive that he made it this far. 

Tomorrow Rafa and Thiem will be duking it out*, and I don't expect I'll be able to watch unfortunately (though I'll catch it on the radio). Should be a great contest. Pros for Thiem are that he's had a good tournament so far and absolutely demolished Novak Djokovic in that last set, as well as having beaten Rafa in Rome. Pros for Rafa are that he's also had a good RG and clay season (with two wins over Thiem to one loss), plus he's well rested and is playing a tournament he's already won 9 times. 

I expect Rafa to take it, whether it's in 3 sets or 5. 

Interestingly, Djokovic has also dropped to 3rd place in the rankings, and will drop further if Stan beats Murray on Friday. He can't drop to 5th before Wimbledon though, but if Stan loses tomorrow then Fed might be in with a chance at 4th - haven't done the maths there though and it's close.

But Murray is defending 8000 points by the end of the year, and Novak is defending nearly 4000. As of today, they are at 10000 and 5800 each. Rafa and Roger are both in excellent positions to clinch the year-end #1, but I also think it's worth noting that Stan (and indeed, many of the other members of the top 10) are also in a good position to take advantage of the fact that the points gap to a CH can be crossed relatively easily.

Naturally, as the Tour progresses, the things are changing and for the two top players, I am not sure things look good. Sincerely, it almost looks like women's tennis. I can't remember when the top 2 looked so insecure. 

Now comes the math. Djokovic will be 3rd (or in case Wawrinka gets into finals, 4th). I would really like Thiem to make a miracle and get into the finals. He simply can do that and we need new blood. I think I have read somewhere that Federer will be playing also Halle (which is on grass) and of course, Wimbledon. He has taken another long break from clay season, and we all know what happened after the last break he has taken. Wimbledon can be open for anyone at this point, given that it's not Rafa's favorite surface, Novak and Andy are having a lot of issues and of course, youngsters want to prove themselves. Add Federer who craves for another Wimbledon and you get interesting.

I am not sure Rafa will keep up for the rest of the season. Yes, he can be a factor, but the greatest danger for Andy is Federer. And when the points start to melt, it will be interesting to see where things will end. 

I find it hilarious how Serbian public is all "He's coming back, he'll be thrashing everyone like he used to starting now" after every good match Djokovic plays only to switch allegiances to "he needs to start eating meat, stop listening to your wife and/or guru or he'll ruin everything" after he loses.

Well, I was working during the Murray-Wawrinka match unfortunately, but I caught most of the Nadal/Thiem match and that was a little disappointing. Thiem had some strong moments but never really threatened Nadal, and you could see that by the third set it was wearing on him. It's all well and good going for winners every other shot, but if your opponent is keeping it in even when you hit it well, it's not going to end well.

Keeping an eye on the Halep/Ostapenko final today. I'm a little sad it's not Wozniacki, but I'd be happy with either Halep or Ostapenko winning. 

Very excited about the match tomorrow, and I really hope it's not a let down like Nadal/Thiem. Stan is a little more proven in the late stages of Grand Slams though, and with how well he played against Murray - it should be a stormer. Neither Nadal or Stan have ever lost a final at RG. That's 10 grand slam finals out of 10!

Halep-Ostapenko turning out to be a pretty good match.

Amazing contrast of styles...Ostapenko has 100 times the amount of winners but also 100 times the amount of unforced errors.

What an absolute trouncing. Other than about 3 games, it wasn't a particularly competitive match, but it was one hell of a highlight reel on Rafa's part. Stan was never in with a chance, even when he hit winners Nadal was sending them back with interest.

So there it is, 10 times Champion at Roland Garros. Not too shabby! Also, the first time Stan has ever lost a Grand Slam final. 

With Rafa and Fed playing like that, Wimbledon will hopefully be pretty good this year! It looks like Murray's slowly going back to a good form, and Djokovic has had his moments too. 

That 10 podium, Rafa banners and special trophy would have been rather embarrassing had Wawrinka won. Not that anyone other than Nadal doing so looked at all likely from the start of the tournament. Two comprehensive wins over the next two best players at the tournament in the semis and final.

Posted (edited)

On 2017-6-10 at 4:22 PM, Leap said:

Well, I was working during the Murray-Wawrinka match unfortunately, but I caught most of the Nadal/Thiem match and that was a little disappointing. Thiem had some strong moments but never really threatened Nadal, and you could see that by the third set it was wearing on him. It's all well and good going for winners every other shot, but if your opponent is keeping it in even when you hit it well, it's not going to end well.

Very excited about the match tomorrow, and I really hope it's not a let down like Nadal/Thiem. Stan is a little more proven in the late stages of Grand Slams though, and with how well he played against Murray - it should be a stormer.

I didn't even watch a lot of the final. I expected another beatdown from Rafa and combined with my lack of interest in clay court tennis I just didn't bother. As expected, another very easy win. And he did it against Thiem as well, who knocked out the Djoker, so you thought, could he upset Rafa? But no chance at all.

An extremely dominant display from Nadal. From what few games I saw today he absolutely crushed Stan, who is not exactly Mr. Mental Fortitude anyway. Nadal's been incredible though, what I am now interested in is, can he carry this through into grass and hardcourt?

Edited by Calibandar