Tennis Volume 6

Calibandar

That's the thing with Raonic Jeor, as you say, he can't stand the heat when the rally extends a bit.

He's definitely improved on that, but still very shaky from the back compared to top 5 or top 10 players. 

He's got a nice game to watch though, some good serve and volley and he can really crack his forehand when he dares. 

Atrractive matchup with Federer. Not so much against Murray who just withdraws way behind the baseline and counterpunches all game long.

Well, that was a surprise, Raonic got him in the end. He played really well and his ground game has improved, although I still don't think he has what it takes to defeat Murray.

It will be interesting to see another match-up between Serena and Kerber. If Kerber can keep using the angles and get Serena running, she might be able to beat her again. But if Serena can just stand and deliver, on grass, Kerber's going to be blasted off the court.

Raonic played reasonably well, and I was impressed by his volleys in particular - but he just has too many errors off the groundstrokes.

Murray returned his serve amazingly well, so he must be unused to having to hit that many balls back. But it seemed in the long rallies it was only a matter of time before a Raonic error would be coming, which is probably why he tried to approach the net a fair bit during rallies.

On 7/10/2016 at 6:02 AM, Leap said:

Serena wins with no real issues it seems - going by the scoreline that is. Can't see how she's not going to win another Grand Slam or two at least. 

The scoreline is a bit misleading. It was a really close match, but Serena just got a lot of favorable bounces. 

I was really rooting for Fed in the semi final against Raonic, and admittedly the match was his to win. 2-1 up in sets, and 3 break points in set 4..... and he didn't take them, then dropped serve and lost the set, and suddenly Raonic is through.

I mean, Raonic was excellent, he played as well as he could against federer, but you know in advance that he is not match for Murray, he always loses and it went exactly as expected. As at Queens in the final, as in the Aussie Open in January. Federer would have been a much more difficult opponent for Murray in the final even though he's not in top shape, Raonic' game is just perfect for Murray. Raonic cannot even come close to keeping up with him from the baseline and as such, simply cannot break the Murray serve.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Raonic' game is just perfect for Murray. Raonic cannot even come close to keeping up with him from the baseline and as such, simply cannot break the Murray serve.

Don't forget the other side of the equation too - Murray being the best returner in the game (apart from Djokovic), he is pretty much as anti-Raonic as you can get. The sheer amount of returns in play that Murray was able to generate meant that automatically Raonic had to play a lot more rallies than he's used to.

Yes, of course, but that is a quality Murray has against any opponent.

That's what makes him hard to play for anyone.

What I meant to emphasize is that someone like raonic is particularly poorly suited to play against a Murray/Djokovic type simply because he cannot stay in 90% of the rallies. 

I found it typical that Raonic was able to raise his level against Federer and really perform heroically, but not against Murray.

Federer would have made it a better final, and I thought he played quite good tennis himself in that semi final. He just suddenly fell apart at the end of that 4th set when he just had 3 match points on Raonic' serve. Followed that up with two double faults, and here we are, a final where everyone knows in advance who wins.

• 1 month later...

Where are you, o tennis fans? Even US Open hasn't woken you up? Admittedly, everything tends to head toward a very predictable final, with Djokovic and Murray, though I wouldn't be shocked if Delpo made it to the final, and in the final anything can happen.

What did shock me was Djoko's way to the semis, with only two completed matches out of five. That says something about the toughness of the season calendar.

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

It's just a bit too inevitable.

Djokovic vs Murray; and one of them will be very well rested (is that 10 sets in 5 rounds?), whilst the other is struggling to get over the emotion of the Olympics.

Shows what I know

Wow, that was unexpected. Nishikori plays tennis that can drive you crazy and I can imagine Murray could have simply lost it in the end.

Great performance by Wawrinka though. Even before that much I was sure all Stan has to do is cut about half unforced errors he usually makes, mixing them with some incredibly breathtaking shots. And that's exactly what he did. I really like both Wawrinka and Delpo and wasn't sure who to root for, so I just settled for admiring great tennis (though I was able to watch just last set, had to wake up at 6 to do it).

Now I hope Wawrinka will make the final. I actually believe ha has a better chance to beat Djokovic than Murray, not to mention Nishikori.

Nah, he won't make another five slams (not counting this one). He's not getting any younger after all. Even though there is no obvious successor in sight, there are at least few players capable of winning slams (Murray, Wawrinka, Delpo, perhaps Nishikori or Raonic will step up, I would not write Nadal or Federer off just yet as well).

Look at Serena, it was suposed to be a piece of cake for her, no?

20 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Nah, he won't make another five slams (not counting this one). He's not getting any younger after all. Even though there is no obvious successor in sight, there are at least few players capable of winning slams (Murray, Wawrinka, Delpo, perhaps Nishikori or Raonic will step up, I would not write Nadal or Federer off just yet as well).

Look at Serena, it was suposed to be a piece of cake for her, no?

He has to get this one, I reckon. Then he only needs 4 more. Two next year. One the year after that. And then one fluke win during the 2-3 twilight years of his career

On 9.09.2016 at 9:45 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

He has to get this one, I reckon.

You were saying? ;)

I only had a chance to watch first three sets of the final, and Stan the man definitely deserved what he achieved. Man, what a godly backhand he has. It didn't work in the first set at all, he was using the frame of his racket more frequently than his baseline backhand then, but after that he just adjusted and improved his game tremendously. And Djoko, though brilliant in defense, had just no answer for that. 

I just read there were medical breaks in the fourth set, but I'm inclined to think it was just a tactical play from Novak aiming to distract Stan, leading with a break. He often employs this tactic when he loses.

I'm really happy for Stanimal, such an award after mediocre season at best. And fully deserved at that.

Archived