How to deal with people not liking your (own life) decisions?

Felguy

So I was looking for a sidejob and found a callcenter job, a friend who works there apparently put in a good word for me. (I didn't know that though, he just told me)

I realized after the first day that this job would make me deeply unhappy, even if it was for  a year or so.

Then I quit the very next day, I knew it would make me really unhappy, I don't mean it just being a shitty job, had those before for years, but actually unhappy.

1 friend started doubting me after my decision and the friend who works there sounds a little ticked off (but says he doesn't mind, it's my life), but says he knows this is the wrong decision. (didn't know he could look into my mind? Only thing I mentioned to him was that i was somewhat uncomfortable financially, that's it, that was before my job)

I would rather be uncomfortable financially than do that job and be unhappy.

How can I make them see that I really made the right decision for myself here? Or is that useless?

You're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking yourself is why it's so important to you that you somehow be able to convince someone else that you made the right decision for you. Because this is not important. Your friends and acquaintances are entitled to think whatever they want about whether or not it was the right call for you to quit this job after one day, and it really shouldn't bother you one way or the other. 

1 minute ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

You're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking yourself is why it's so important to you that you somehow be able to convince someone else that you made the right decision for you. Because this is not important. Your friends and acquaintances are entitled to think whatever they want about whether or not it was the right call for you to quit this job after one day, and it really shouldn't bother you one way or the other. 

You're right actually, don't know why it bothers me, probably because the one guy called this dumb which annoyed me, but.... I really shouldn't care. 

I think that the problem here is your friend probably feels like he stuck his neck out for you to some degree, only to have you quit. I suppose this probably makes him look bad to some degree. Outside of that, yeah, what Nestor said. I'd just be sensitive to the fact that your friend was trying to be helpful, and probably feels rebuffed to some small degree

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think that the problem here is your friend probably feels like he stuck his neck out for you to some degree, only to have you quit. I suppose this probably makes him look bad to some degree. Outside of that, yeah, what Nestor said. I'd just be sensitive to the fact that your friend was trying to be helpful, and probably feels rebuffed to some small degree

This is true.

But then again, I didn't know he put in a good word for me, he only told this to me just now.

It really shouldn't affect him anyhow.

7 minutes ago, Leap said:

Basically yeah, that. Your friend can't really blame you, because you didn't know that he stuck his neck out for you. If you had, it wouldn't be right, but you didn't know. He's entitled to be pissed off about that, but that's kind of his problem. It would be nice to take him out for a pint or something though. Let him know you appreciate it. 

Otherwise, it's up to you to choose what's right for you.

I know it is the right decision, you know how you can feel something in your gut? That's how I know. So assured of this.

But yeah no, won't take him out to anything, he is too busy anyway. He can stew and I am done thinking about it.

3 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

The only thing I can see that you did wrong was not asking the Board ahead of time whether you should have taken the job. 

We are displeased.  You owe **us** a pint. 

I am not known here anyway. :D 

8 minutes ago, Felguy said:

I am not known here anyway. :D 

That's never stopped us. 

A friend lasted less than a day at a fast-food outlet job when he had such a bad allergic reaction to the uniform that he had to go to hospital. Tell your friend you're allergic to call centres.

4 minutes ago, Angalin said:

That's never stopped us. 

A friend lasted less than a day at a fast-food outlet job when he had such a bad allergic reaction to the uniform that he had to go to hospital. Tell your friend you're allergic to call centres.

Hehe.

I am allergic to the socially toxic work.

Always best to make the decision that is right for you, but I have to say that I would be a little bit annoyed if I put in a good word for a person at my place of work and that person quit after only one single day.  I can respect that the job isn't for you and life's too short and all that, and it isn't your fault that your friend didn't tell you that he put in a word... but he probably feels like an idiot and I would too in his shoes.

Personally, I think you've missed out on a life-enriching experience.  People are so concerned about seeking happiness, when they should be seeking to:

1. recognize that happiness is a temporary situation, and

2. learn to appreciate the actual time that they are happy.

One of the best ways to illuminate these is to (embrace your inner Faust and) do something awful and degrading for a while.  Don't get stuck there, of course.  Every awful experience has a useful duration as well.

3 minutes ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

Personally, I think you've missed out on a life-enriching experience.  People are so concerned about seeking happiness, when they should be seeking to:

1. recognize that happiness is a temporary situation, and

2. learn to appreciate the actual time that they are happy.

One of the best ways to illuminate these is to (embrace your inner Faust and) do something awful and degrading for a while.  Don't get stuck there, of course.  Every awful experience has a useful duration as well.

True, but I have had mundane jobs in the past, and that was 'awful and degrading' as well, to a certain extent. 

This just went further, so to speak. Also I don't really believe that happiness is a temporary situation, you can certainly be generally happy and generally unhappy.

8 minutes ago, S John said:

Always best to make the decision that is right for you, but I have to say that I would be a little bit annoyed if I put in a good word for a person at my place of work and that person quit after only one single day.  I can respect that the job isn't for you and life's too short and all that, and it isn't your fault that your friend didn't tell you that he put in a word... but he probably feels like an idiot and I would too in his shoes.

This is the only thing I am somewhat sorry about, but he just told me now so.... can't help it.

Archived