How to deal with people not liking your (own life) decisions?

Felguy

58 minutes ago, CryptofCthulhu said:

Nah I can be amusing from time to time. I still have a sense of humor. ;)

I just don't bother with people who identify themselves as misanthropes as of theyre proud that they dont have many friends or meaningful connections with other humans

I'm not aiming this at you personally just the kind of boring sods who talk about people being sheeples and that sort of shit 

11 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I just don't bother with people who identify themselves as misanthropes as of theyre proud that they dont have many friends or meaningful connections with other humans

I'm not aiming this at you personally just the kind of boring sods who talk about people being sheeples and that sort of shit 

Nothing to do with being proud. It's basically come of it's own accord.

• 3 months later...

As I noticed from my own experience, there will be always people who will be against your decisions ;) It's just because you're not an ideal for everyone, and every person has his own tastes and opinions so the misunderstandings appear so often :o
If you really feel that it was a right decision for you and your life became better after it, them don't mind about what others think and say. I remember one simple situation from life in this case... I wanted to change my hair colour into smth unusual like here and almost all my friends recommended me not to do this :D But I did and the result was amazing, besides I was very satisfied with my appearance ^_^
Anyway it's your life and you don't need to live how others think ;) Of course it's important to hear the others opinions and recommendations but the final word is always yours :rolleyes: And nobody can understand yourself as you ;)

I really REALLY REALLY need to break out of the habit of living my life for my parents and not for myself because they're never going to like a lot of my decisions but fuck it I'm  grown ass woman now and I should start acting like it 

I'm a big fan of receiving and giving feedback (even unsolicited), at least from people I know. 

If people don't like my decisions, I'm interested to know why, as it could be persuasive or informative. But I don't necessarily need them to approve. 

• 1 month later...

Seems that I have family members who don't like my choice of location for job hunting, to the point where they have talked about having my children stay with them unless I look for work somewhere they approve of.* They haven't said that to me directly, perhaps because some deep sense of self-preservation prevents them from doing so.

*apparently war zones are okay but western Europe is not

If I had personally vouched for a friend and helped them get a job where I work, only to have them quit after a day, I would be ticked. 

Regarding the OP's question about people and their disapproval of my life decisions, I tend to look at the individual who is offering the opinion- family usually comes from a place of being concerned about my well being.  My parents worry about me because they're my parents.  I appreciate them, but I don't want to make decisions based on fear.  And I'm long past the point of needing their permission or approval.   My daughter falls into the same category.  The rest of the world, I don't really pay much attention to, honestly.  As long as I'm not hurting anyone and I have a clean conscience, I don't really think what I do is anyone's business but mine.  

If the decision doesn't negatively affect someone else then I don't see why you should explain yourself any more than you already have.

Your friend who works at the call centre may be feeling negatively affected, since he put in a good word for you, and you quit within a few days. This will probably mean he's not up for employee of the month. If you value him as a friend you might want to acknowledge that possible impact on him. But it's no reason to stay in the job or to offer a greater explanation of your decision.

Archived