U.S. Election - Onward to New Hampshire

TerraPrime

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still can't figure out why she said it. I don't see how it would sway Sanders' supporters and/or undecideds.

Because in the world where she grew up, it makes perfect sense. Albright is 78 years old. When she was young and competing for jobs, the fact that she was a woman was a significant disadvantage. In that climate, having more women in positions of power was beneficial to all women simply because it made them seem less exotic.

Of course, the world has changed and most young people have noticed this. The genders can go at each others' throats all they want, but the supply of positions entailing even moderate wealth and/or power is much smaller than the demand and most of them require one to be a workaholic (and most of the ones that do not are already occupied by the ruling class). As long as the number of good jobs isn't growing, we're all playing a less than zero sum game and effects of one gender taking a bit more of the pie from the other is marginal.

Yeah I would say it's best to view her comments as indicative of a divide between older and younger women on these kind of issues.

When looking at Albright you are talking about someone who would have been entering the job force or going into her Masters or something in fucking 1960. I'm positive she's dealt with alot of "A women will never be President or CEO or even important, get your ass back in the kitchen" kind of bullshit. She likely sees Clinton herself as being an icon for women in power and the symbolism of a women being president as being very important and also, given she also made comments about SCOTUS appointments and such, the fact of a women president being important for continuing to push for equality under the law and such.

This is probably not exactly the same way very young women these days view the issues now. There's alot more focus, for better or for worse, on other areas and ideas.

I kinda see her comments as a sort of "What the hell is going on here?".

6 minutes ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/new-hampshire-countdown-first-nation-primary-n513356

66% of Republicans polled support banning of muslims from entering US. Donald Trump's master stroke of going politically incorrect is resonating strongly amongst GOP voters. 

I hope we find out what percentage of Republican voters agree that Ted Cruz is a pussy. Could be another un-PC master stroke!

Steinem and Albright are in the wrong, both were sexist, both need to check their privilege.

Period.

That said, I am not personally outraged because I think both gaffes are merely team sport boosterism, ultimately. Both sound like whiny Alabama fans angry at SEC fans for rooting against Bama in the NC game.

Looking good for Trump, also good for Kasich and bad for Rubio.  Christie seems to have succeeded at hurting Rubio and should probably just give up now, as should Fiorina.  I assume Carson will hang in for another Evangelical dominated state at least and see if he makes any inroads into Cruz, who also seems to be struggling without that.

Sanders looks solid for the win, but the margin is looking a lot closer than expected.

ETA: Obviously very early in the count still

ETA2: And Jeb! seems to have picked up enough to force him to stay in the race, he's really lost the momentum he needed to drop out

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Looking good for Trump, also good for Kasich and bad for Rubio.  Christie seems to have succeeded at hurting Rubio and should probably just give up now, as should Fiorina.  I assume Carson will hang in for another Evangelical dominated state at least and see if he makes any inroads into Cruz, who also seems to be struggling without that.

Sanders looks solid for the win, but the margin is looking a lot closer than expected.

ETA: Obviously very early in the count still

ETA2: And Jeb! seems to have picked up enough to force him to stay in the raise, he's really lost the momentum he needed to drop out

I'm kind of hoping Fiorina stays in. Would like to see her be added to the debates in favor of Christie and/or Carson. Would be good to have a woman's voice in that room; or at the very least just some fresh blood.

By the way, I have no idea what Fiorina's positions are, on anything ... she could be completely insane, but I'd be curious to see her up there 

They have called the Primaries for Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. Populism vs Progressiveness. 

Edit: HuffingtonPost is really pissed. Throwing temper tantrums. Using all kinds of buzzwords. Even DrudgeReport handles defeat better. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-new-hampshire_us_56b8fcc5e4b04f9b57dab13b?dl07ldi=&section=australia

The Ruboto thing really seemed to catch on with the media and as a meme. I'm really hoping it's sunk him. Christie will have finally done his job by using his one and only skill: being a complete asshole.

Basically I want Trump all the way.

Also somehow Kasich is in 2nd last I checked. Jesus christ New Hampshire...

Also Sanders is winning as expected. The only thing to keep an eye on is the margin. If I remember correctly 10% or less of a lead leaves him and Clinton even on delegates. Those numbers would be underperforming for him though and wouldn't be the best sign in general. The delegate thing barely matters but will more just be amusing to see the reactions.

Kasich is doing well in New Hampshire because he's basically been camped there for weeks.

The Rubot thing is hilarious. He really is an empty suit. Christie's attack opened the floodgates for articles like this thing from McKay Coppins about how Rubio is anxious and cracks under pressure, which is a great quality in a President. The Rubot hilarity peaked today when it was revealed that his New Hampshire campaign manager attacked a protestor dressed as a robot.

With Trump performing up to polling expectations in the primary format (as opposed to Iowa's caucus system), his path to the nomination becomes very, very plausible. It's stunning, even knowing how long he's been the front runner in the polls.

Per Sam Wang, Trump needs national polling of 30% at the start of first states voting to make earning a majority of delegates down the road a certainty. Why? Surplus rules, viability thresholds, and winner take all states.

For example, if Rubio gets less than 10% tonight he gets no delegate, trump gets all the delegates that people with under 10% would have earned, the under 10% vote could be almost 25% if Rubio doesn't stay above the threshold.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Kasich is doing well in New Hampshire because he's basically been camped there for weeks.

The Rubot thing is hilarious. He really is an empty suit. Christie's attack opened the floodgates for articles like this thing from McKay Coppins about how Rubio is anxious and cracks under pressure, which is a great quality in a President. The Rubot hilarity peaked today when it was revealed that his New Hampshire campaign manager attacked a protestor dressed as a robot.

Some people I know who'd been following him for years now kept telling me that everyone would catch on he was an empty suit eventually. The guy seems to have nothing.

The GOP wants him to be their Obama but he seems more like what they thought Obama was then what Obama actually is. (ie - he's a guy who only superficially looks like a good candidate based on looks, background, resume but is really just a rube who hasn't done shit with his time in office but prepare to run for President, has a closet full of skeletons and can't function on the fly)

The real interesting result we might see on the GOP side is all the not-Trumps splitting the vote enough that no clear Trump-alternative appears and nobody important drops out and the stalemate continues into the next races.

Which is, as always, good for Trump.

2 hours ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/new-hampshire-countdown-first-nation-primary-n513356

66% of Republicans polled support banning of muslims from entering US. Donald Trump's master stroke of going politically incorrect is resonating strongly amongst GOP voters. 

This shit is really getting insane. 

Archived