U.S. Election - Onward to New Hampshire

TerraPrime

26 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I think so too. Candidates get a bump in the polls just because the media are discussing them, and I think that's the case with Sanders. Maybe that's also indicative of a general shift of opinion amongst Democrats, but I think it's too early to tell.

I suspect this will all be settled way before the convention. Remember that, three weeks ago, people were talking about a "brokered" Republican convention (whatever that means) and then Iowa happened and everyone then insisted Trump was done. **

Maybe a victory in New Hampshire will buoy Sanders, but if Clinton's electoral firewall holds she can simply play the same game Obama did against her in 2008: move deliberately, ignore media spin and concentrate on picking up delegates. If she gets too far ahead it won't matter what early victories Sanders can claim. 

**I still think it's a riot that Trump, who came in second, is a loser, whereas Rubio is a third-place hero and the frontrunner is just doing OK. The expectations game!

Tracker,

None of the major party candidates really excite me.  But Rubio is light-years ahead of Trump.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Tracker,

None of the major party candidates really excite me.  But Rubio is light-years ahead of Trump.

I keep hearing or reading about Rubio being light-years ahead of Trump.  It's absurd.  They are all extremist bigots who are trigger happy.  The only major difference between them is packaging.  Rubio probably has more electability for superficial reasons - he's better looking and he's a better orator.  I honestly find Rubio more frightening than the others simply due to the electability factor.  Something about him seems to make people think that he's somehow reasonable.  

Very good. Cutting Social Security benefits is completely dead as an idea in the Democratic party. The Republican party completely owns this loathsome idea.

Hillary Clinton Pledges Not To Cut Social Security Benefits
Progressive groups applauded the move, but Sanders isn't as impressed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-pledges-not-to-cut-social-security_us_56b630dfe4b04f9b57d9d482?utm_hp_ref=politics

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I keep hearing or reading about Rubio being light-years ahead of Trump.  It's absurd.  They are all extremist bigots who are trigger happy.  The only major difference between them is packaging.  Rubio probably has more electability for superficial reasons - he's better looking and he's a better orator.  I honestly find Rubio more frightening than the others simply due to the electability factor.  Something about him seems to make people think that he's somehow reasonable.  

Totally. Rubio's positions are very conservative, but he smiles and looks pleasant so some are deceived into thinking his policies would be benevolent. And they would--if you are wealthy and white. And male. And straight. And Christian.

Very good. Cutting Social Security benefits is completely dead as an idea in the Democratic party. The Republican party completely owns this loathsome idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-pledges-not-to-cut-social-security_us_56b630dfe4b04f9b57d9d482?utm_hp_ref=politics

I wouldn't say dead. Fez, for example is an enthusiastic advocate of slashing holes in the safety net, especially social security. And all of Clintons future staff of democrats will be like Fez and will advocate relentlessly and incessantly to slash the safety net systematically.

So Clinton can be against it, but literally every staffer she hires will be extremely in favor of it. Fucking Washington DC people has nothing but contempt for the rest of the country and the voters.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Just curious about whether looking at the age cap for benefits is a separate discussion to extending benefits? For example is there any appetite within the democratic party to increase the age of eligibility? I know the GOP has talked about this for awhile.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's all relative. Compared to Trump and Cruz, Rubio looks totally sane and moderate.

Compared to Jeb Bush he seems eloquent and less of a big business/donation whore.

Compared to Christie, well I have no idea what Christie is actually offering. 

The question is imo not whether Rubio will get the establishment votes, I think that one was settled with Iowa. It's just a question whether or when Christie and Bush are willing to admit it. I am pretty sure Christie will throw the towel next, Bush campaign still has some cash to burn. The bigger question is, whether that anti-establishment sentiment has past a point of no return. You know those: A true conservative would have beaten Obama crowd.

4 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

And now in gross local color news, Ernie Boch Jr is a garbage human being making very compelling arguments for not voting Trump

You ought to read it again, and ask yourself the right questions.

A good question would be: What makes Trump the best qualified bar pick up for him?

What are those qualification Boch is talking about? 

Will the Donald be gone before Boch wakes up from his drunk stupor? Does he save on the taxi fare? Would Trump be willing to go the extra mile for Boch's endorsement? Is the Donald's self esteem low enough that Boch has a chance, there? 

What is the right ratio of dim light and alcohol that makes Trump seem attractive to him?

To translate it back into Boch's world and the Campaign rally Boch hosted. Which song did he play at Trump's introduction. This candidate is a Tramp? It would have the additional advantage, that all the living musicians Trump picked were not too happy about their music being played at the Donald's events. And all Sinatra could do, would be spinning in his grave.

You see, those are obviously the important qualifications for the POTUS. 

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Totally. Rubio's positions are very conservative, but he smiles and looks pleasant so some are deceived into thinking his policies would be benevolent. And they would--if you are wealthy and white. And male. And straight. And Christian.

I've thought Rubio'd be the next Republican poster boy for a while now, without regard to his actual positions. The 'have a beer with Hitler' thing. ( ie, not saying he's Hitler, just that apparently if Hitler was beer-worthy, he'd be electable). 

I wouldn't say dead. Fez, for example is an enthusiastic advocate of slashing holes in the safety net, especially social security. And all of Clintons future staff of democrats will be like Fez and will advocate relentlessly and incessantly to slash the safety net systematically.

So Clinton can be against it, but literally every staffer she hires will be extremely in favor of it. Fucking Washington DC people has nothing but contempt for the rest of the country and the voters.

Cruz is being boring, so I'll respond. I'm pretty confident the idea is dead, now that HRC has clarified her position. Our party leader is against it. Also, it's become clear the party youth are actually quite left wing. Meanwhile, the people most for it are getting quite old and becoming qualified for SS themselves. So yeah, it could come back if say the Democrats lose huge in 2016. And sure the DLC could come back from the dead and elect a president Rahm Emanuel. Just doesn't seem likely at this point.

That rant by Trump on healthcare was bizarre as fuck. I like that he said we shouldn't let people die on the street, but what the hell was hoping advocating?

He was advocating Healthcare savings accounts, selling insurance across state lines, and the law that we already have on the books where people are not allowed ot die on the street or turned away from emergency care. The same huge pile of crap all Republicans sell, including Cruz and Carson who did so after. (I believe Carson called them empowerment accounts or some such garbage)

Eh, sort of.  But he was also saying that everyone should be covered.

I was hoping he actually meant that. But his comments tonight seem to indicate he doesn't actually support coverage for everyone. He supports people not being allowed to die in the street as a baseline and he brought it up as his baseline. (And I'm only assuming he also does not support people being turned away from the emergency room. At any rate he couldn't repeal that law if he tried) This is what he means by covering everyone...the law already on the books that in essence makes healthcare a right. (You just don't have a right to not be later charged for it and go bankrupt.)

Archived