Who is Yandel?

So,  reading the thread about this book having the same name in-universe prompted me to finally start reading the book.

Just in reading the preface, I'm rather intrigued by Yandel. Hidden parentage is rarely inconsequential, even if it's merely a device of intrigue as opposed to hiding a true mystery with knowing. Seems given we'll meet Yandel in-universe. Should be interesting.

I'm surprised that a quick search didn't reveal an already existing thread of this nature. Maybe we don't have enough information but given timing of his supposed birth, can we make any guesses as to the parentage of Yandel?

You're all smarter than me. Well, some of you at least. I hope. Born in the tenth year of Aerys' reign, abandoned in a stall at the Scribe's Hearth, "useful" to Archmaester Edgerran (for swaddling research? Doubtful) ... let's hear the theories! Who is Yandel (lineage-wise)?

(I assume this is direct enough relationship to the book that it is permitted in this forum)

Well, I'll hope you'll forgive me for starting with the very obvious option, but...

How about Yandel being the bastard son of Marwyn? I'm terrible with timelines and all, but would that fit age-wise?

It's not unknown for a Master, or even an Archmaester, to have bastards, and we know Marwyn hangs out with whores, so...

This would in turn raise the interesting question of the relationship between Marwyn and Yandel. Is Yandel really as anti-magic as he came off in his writting? Or was he just trying not to hinder his career as a maester by being too vocal with his real opinion on such matters?

The World of Ice and Fire, eh, Yandel? Has he had any late-night, dragonglass-lit discussions of prophecy with daddy Marwyn? Or maybe he exchanged some letters with this old guy Aemon up there at the wall, which contained weird questions that apparently came from a fairly notorious great-great-nephew?

Is the book even what it seems? I mean, in world, was the writing of the World of Ice and Fire more than just Yandel's try at adding a brick to the knowledge of the world? Was Yandel trying to remove a brick?

Was it really intended to ensure the ruling Baratheon king disregarded magical things?

Sorry, got a little carried away, but back on the Marwyn idea... At first, Yandel's musings about the return of dragons annoyed me a bit, and tbh I was fairly sure it was imposed on Elio and Linda by editors or something, just to tie up the book to the main series more closely for dirty commercial reasons (i'm frowning at you picture of Jon and Ghost).

But now, I think it might be a subtle, but very significant clue to Yandel's relationship with Marwyn, or at least the fact that he gave some credit to the sailors' rumors about dragons, which makes him sound more like a Marwyn-type of maester than, say, Armen.

No-one of any importance, but since the book has been released I believe GRRM may give it a nod some time during the remaining books - possibly Sam meets a Maester Yandel in passing while in Oldtown, or some reference is made to his book having been gifted to Tommen or something

Archived