All Star ASOIAF tournament

Oakhearts head

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I've recently started reading the books after having becoming addicted to show. I'm happy to say I've found a lot more enjoyment in the books than I ever did in show. 

Anyway, if there are those who have the patience for it I thought I'd start off with a tournament with arguably the best warriors who are still alive in the beginning of A Game of Thrones: 

Match 1 :
- Barristan Selmy vs. Mag the Mighty.

Match 2 :
- Grey Worm vs. Bronze Yohn Royce.

Match 3 :
- Tormund Giantsbane vs. Areo Hotah.

Match 4 :
- Daario Naharis vs. Garlan Tyrell.

Match 5 :
- Gregor Clegane vs. Khal Drogo.

Match 6 :
- Victarion Greyjoy vs. Jaime Lannister (two hands).

Match 7 :
- Syrio Forel vs. Greatjon Umber.

Match 8 :
- Oberyn Martell vs. Sandor Clegane.

The winner of match 1 goes on to fight the winner of match 2 and so on. Each fight takes place in Daznak's pit, everyone is on foot and has their standard equipment. Who takes it?

I like this, but I feel like maybe switch up some of these fights, its just too easy, only ones with interesting outcomes are Match 8, and Match 4. The others are obvious obliteration, to the point where I don't even think I even have to name the victors for everyone to know them :P , but switch around some of those fights, like Syrio v Jaime and Vic v Umber and it'll be a little more interesting, also have to go with mag the mighty, you give a 13 foot tall giant equal equipment (Steel and mail) vs any of these others and its not a contest, except maybe the insanely fast like Martell or Syrio.

Na, books only, TKoN.

I'd argue pretty much everyone on this list would stomp Bronn, besides maybe Drogo due to lack of armor.

Not everyone can make the list unfortunately. It was tough leaving out the Halfhand, Belwas, Loras, Thoros, Blackfish, Darkstar & Mance.

Can't Selmy win guys? Please...? I mean... poor guy, first he's killed off in the show, then he's pitted against a giant... :( 

Hahaha, but in all seriousness the giant wins. Probably the entire thing. 

Also.. irrelevant in his fight: but is Selmy in his prime? Because at his advanced age, against any really good warrior, he's at a severe disadvantage. 

1 Mag (in his prime I might say Barry, but now no chance)

2 Grey Worm (trained entire life very harshly, although I like Yohn very much)

3 Areo (better weapon and more skill)

4 Garlan (more training)

5 Gregor (Jorah vs bloodrider from show reloaded, Drogo has no clue about Weyterosi armors)

6 Jaime with two hands else Victarion

7 Syrio (unlike Drogo he knows weak spots very well, this sums to Jorah- Waterdancer in pit)

8 Oberyn by far, more skill, better movement, poisoned spear

12 Mag (Grey might try to poke him spear but I dont see a happy outcome for him)

34 this one is good, I have to go with Garlan, Areo isnt in his prime

56 Gregor, only someone like Oberyn could take him

78 Oberyn, they will dance a lot but Oberyns spear is better than Braavosi sword

1234 Mag (sadly Garlan cant take him)

5678 Oberyn, just like we saw

Finale Oberyns if his spear is poisoned, if not I would put my money on Mag

I'm unsure if he could beat a giant, but Barristan is definitely being underestimated here. Recent feats for Barristan :

- Defeated Meerenese pit fighter Khrazz with relative ease.

- Confidently threatened the Kingsgaurd guarding Joffrey, which included at least one very good swordsman (Mandon Moore) and three competent to average swordsmen (Oakheart, Greenfield, Trant).

- Easily defeated several Gold Cloaks while unarmed.

- Won the championship of a tourney at King's Landing at the age of 57.

I think it's fair to say Barristan has aged incredibly well.

1 hour ago, Oakhearts head said:

I'm unsure if he could beat a giant, but Barristan is definitely being underestimated here. Recent feats for Barristan :

- Defeated Meerenese pit fighter Khrazz with relative ease.

- Confidently threatened the Kingsgaurd guarding Joffrey, which included at least one very good swordsman (Mandon Moore) and three competent to average swordsmen (Oakheart, Greenfield, Trant).

- Easily defeated several Gold Cloaks while unarmed.

- Won the championship of a tourney at King's Landing at the age of 57.

I think it's fair to say Barristan has aged incredibly well.

haha I'm a huge Barristan fan and do not mean to underestimate him. I just think the majority of people who've been chosen here are excellent fighters. Of course, I may have been exaggerating his disadvantage slightly, but I was thinking about people like Garlen and Jaime (but then... that's with two hands so who knows?) who have similar training and youth on their side. Drogo I tend to think he could beat, and given the scenario I'm sure a reasonable argument could be made for him beating many of the people listed. 

What is everyone smoking and why aren't you sharing? 

Did y'all forget Mag was killed by a one-armed blacksmith? Mag was a loser. At the very least it would be a tie, but my money is seriously on Barry. 

So, it's:

Match 1 :

Match 2 :

Match 3 :

(Can you imagine if it was a personality contest, though?)

Match 4 :

Match 5 :

Match 6 :

Match 7 :

This is the toughest. Syrio beat a bunch of dudes with a wooden sword, but Greatjon beat a bunch of dudes with a lamb leg, so he wins. 

Match 8 :
- Oberyn Martell vs. Sandor Clegane

1. Barristan the Bold! I also do not understand the rationale for Mag fans.  All things as the OP stated, Barry wins but severely injured due to the fact that although Donal Noye only had one arm, he also had extra defenses from the gates blocking Mag's progress. A fight in Daznaks provides no such protection.

2. Bronze Yohn. The bronze armor with the First Men rhunes. Besting him requires something more than an Unsullied's standard equipment.

3. Areo Hotah. Hotah would not like it when Tormund would start talking about his member stealing Areo's axe wife.

4. Garlan Tyrell. I am not that impressed with Daario.

5. Gregor Clegane. Fully armored mountain against a man without fear, Drogo will not dance like Oberyn did.

6. Jaime Lannister. Hands down.

7. Syrio Forel. Umber would not take it seriously.

8. Oberyn Martell. Manticore Venom...

On 2/6/2016 at 6:48 AM, Oakhearts head said:

Match 1 :

Match 2 :

Match 3 :

Match 4 :

Match 5 :

Match 6 :

Match 7 :

Match 8 :

I think grey worm would have trouble with Royce.  Unsullied are good as a unit not the best one v one fighters.  Royce also beat Ned and Rodrik at the same time.  

Also I love threads like this but it all turns hypothetical we know anyone could win any fight.  It could come down to "what an individual ate for breakfast" SSM

wow these are some tough matchups, winners

Match 1 : Selmy is fast, bold and would figure out a way vs the unarmored giant

Match 2 : Not sure i could pick this one, both are badass, grey worm gets the advantage because he's the best of the 10,000 unsullied

Match 3 : odd matchup, we really havnt seen either fight much but Tormund is a badass among the freefolk and has killed a giant

Match 4 : another odd one, one is in command of a badass merc company so has seen much more combat

Match 5 : the toughest match to pick, The Khal is not an idiot and knows many forms of combat but is a horseman, or a giant in armor. Already seen what speed and smarts can do so i'll stick

Match 6 : Easy pickings for a ironborn born in combat vs a guy who is the greatest fighter only in his own pov

Match 7 : Thinker and speed vs a total badass

Match 8 : much closer match than vs gregor, no reason he cant take little bro

Archived