Did Aegon already declare himself as king?

purple-eyes

JonCon and GC still called him prince, I think, no matter in ADWD or TWOW.

But I assume only a king can name a KG. Like Egg named Dunk after his ascending to the throne. 

Aegon VI already named Duck as his KG. Does this mean he already established himself as new king?

The coronation at the Sept is an idea but in Eddard XIV where Ned is attempting to establish himself as Regent, multiple characters refer to Joffery as "King Joffery" despite the coronation not having taken place.

For JonCon naming Aegon "Prince", that may just be force of habit. Sansa afterall, referrs to Joffery as "Prince Joffery" in Eddard XIV then has to remind herself that he is "King Joffery" in Sansa V. 

Aegon hasn't been proclaimed king yet. Perhaps they'll do that at Storm's End, but my guess is that they'll wait until they have taken KL. Anything else would be stupid.

Him having a KG doesn't really change that.

16 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

JonCon and GC still called him prince, I think, no matter in ADWD or TWOW.

But I assume only a king can name a KG. Like Egg named Dunk after his ascending to the throne. 

Aegon VI already named Duck as his KG. Does this mean he already established himself as new king?

He can't be a king without a kingdom to rule. But Illyrio's servants refer to him as the king so who knows 

12 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Aegon hasn't been proclaimed king yet. Perhaps they'll do that at Storm's End, but my guess is that they'll wait until they have taken KL. Anything else would be stupid.

Him having a KG doesn't really change that.

Yeah, technically one isn't king until he is crowned, hence why Jaehaerys I was called "prince" when he rebelled against Maegor when he was the rightful heir to the IT. 

I think they're waiting until they have a huge victory to crown Aegon much like Lincoln not signing the Emancipation Proclamation until after the Battle of Antietam.

I think with Aegon being given the Conqueror's name, the GC giving him the Conqueror's sword, Blackfyre and the Dornish will likely give him the Conqueror's crown that was lost with Daeron I that he will be crowned in the Starry Sept in Oldtown like the Conqueror was.  

22 minutes ago, Fire Eater said:

I think with Aegon being given the Conqueror's name, the GC giving him the Conqueror's sword, Blackfyre and the Dornish will likely give him the Conqueror's crown that was lost with Daeron I that he will be crowned in the Starry Sept in Oldtown like the Conqueror was.  

Since the High Septon no longer resides in the Starry Sept that would be a strange development indeed. Even more so, in light of the fact that Aegon wouldn't have conquered all the lands the Conqueror took when he was crowned there. Who the hell should crown Aegon in Oldtown? Lord Leyton? The Mad Maid? Since when crown Hightowers the Kings of Westeros?

If Aegon gets a coronation it will be in KL, the entire city will cheer him as their king and savior (the scene the Undying showed Dany), and Varys and Illyrio will be the most honored guest for this great feast, looking forward for the great times ahead of them.

And on the very next day the gray plague pandemic will begin.

I expect Aegon to public proclaim his intention to claim the Iron Throne after he has taken Storm's End, writing multiple letters to prominent lords and likely supporters. But he will make a show of the fact that he is only taking the title of king when he has taken his grandfather's throne and/or avenged his noble father. There is historical precedent for that, most notably Benedict Rivers/Justman.

I know you desperately want Aegon to go to Oldtown. But come on, Varys and Illyrio have to interact with Aegon to introduce the Blackfyre angle in some interesting fashion, and Illyrio already promised the gang to join them in KL. That wasn't in the story so that he could die of a heart attack in Pentos (or wait there like some moron to be ousted by the Tattered Prince).

Varys and Illyrio have no reason to go to Oldtown of all places, and Varys also would have nothing to do in the series if Aegon didn't go and subsequently took KL.

Aegon has not declared kingship yet.

Declaring himself king after taking Storm's End sounds like a great move and is very expressive of his capabilities. This would also be a great way to bring in many of the untapped Stormland troops.

Another great way to establish himself is to rescue Oldtown assuming the Ironborn will attack it and be declared king by the faith. Now this is much trickier due to the mysterious alliances of the Hightowers (my guess is they would take Aegon over Dany and her dragons of doom). This will also bring in troops from the Stormlands (SE will already be captured if Aegon rescues Oldtown), might of the Hightowers, and other Reach lords that would follow suit.

The Oldtown method is very difficult to assume because of all the factors in play. Ironborn have to attack Oldtown, Reach army is expected to be heading to Storm's end so Aegon must defeat the Tyrell army or sway them to his side and make to Oldtown in time to defeat the Ironborn.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Since the High Septon no longer resides in the Starry Sept that would be a strange development indeed. Even more so, in light of the fact that Aegon wouldn't have conquered all the lands the Conqueror took when he was crowned there. Who the hell should crown Aegon in Oldtown? Lord Leyton? The Mad Maid? Since when crown Hightowers the Kings of Westeros?

If Aegon gets a coronation it will be in KL, the entire city will cheer him as their king and savior (the scene the Undying showed Dany), and Varys and Illyrio will be the most honored guest for this great feast, looking forward for the great times ahead of them.

I expect Aegon to public proclaim his intention to claim the Iron Throne after he has taken Storm's End, writing multiple letters to prominent lords and likely supporters. But he will make a show of the fact that he is only taking the title of king when he has taken his grandfather's throne and/or avenged his noble father. There is historical precedent for that, most notably Benedict Rivers/Justman.

I know you desperately want Aegon to go to Oldtown. But come on, Varys and Illyrio have to interact with Aegon to introduce the Blackfyre angle in some interesting fashion, and Illyrio already promised the gang to join them in KL. That wasn't in the story so that he could die of a heart attack in Pentos (or wait there like some moron to be ousted by the Tattered Prince).

Varys and Illyrio have no reason to go to Oldtown of all places, and Varys also would have nothing to do in the series if Aegon didn't go and subsequently took KL.

Well, if the HS intends to declare for Aegon, I think he would leave KL and join up with him before declaring lest he sign his own death warrant in KL. I think they would have the HS crown Aegon.

I don't think Aegon will ever take KL, especially if the hints are correct that Cersei will revive Aerys's wildfire plan. 

Connington has greyscale not the grey plague.  

I think Tyrion will puzzle out the Blackfyre angle from info he gets from the Pentoshi Tattered Prince if he asks about Illyrio and Varys,

Who says Varys needs to be present for Aegon's coronation? 

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

So what, Varys and Illyrio can't go to Oldtown? They'll go wherever Aegon is, especially Illyrio (Varys is more useful sowing discord among his enemies, though I do think they'll meet at some point). And a crowd could cheer for Aegon in Oldtown just as much as in KL. 

2 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

Well, if the HS intends to declare for Aegon, I think he would leave KL and join up with him before declaring lest he sign his own death warrant in KL. I think they would have the HS crown Aegon.

I don't think Aegon will ever take KL, especially if the hints are correct that Cersei will revive Aerys's wildfire plan. 

Connington has greyscale not the grey plague.  

I think Tyrion will puzzle out the Blackfyre angle from info he gets from the Pentoshi Tattered Prince if he asks about Illyrio and Varys,

Who says Varys needs to be present for Aegon's coronation? 

Even if his greyscale mutates into a virulent strand of the grey plague, Oldtown's got more of a history with it than KL, per Pycelle's story. It would be highly ironic that a Hightower was murdered by an angry mob for saving the city from the grey plague, while now another Hightower (Leyton, perhaps?) could be cheered by the crowds for declaring for Aegon and inadvertently spelling the doom of Oldtowners by letting JonCon (AKA patient zero) into the city. 

So that's another point for Oldtown, I'd say. 

George has said that ADwD was supposed to be about 'disease', but that turned out to be a rather big letdown, suggesting that the big plague will come in TWoW. He didn't give Connington the sickness to not spread it. Perhaps he is smart enough not to infect Aegon, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to infect anyone else.

And nobody would die of the normal slow-going greyscale in the remaining books. Not unless there was a jump ahead in time. So if the sickness plays a role Connington will spread the grey plague, and not greyscale.

And, of course, the plague will be the beginning of the end for the 'Aegon is the savior king' story. He'll become the Plague King, the Stone King, the King Who Brought Us Death, and to stay on the throne/control the plague he'll have to very gruesome things. He cannot possibly do that from Oldtown as a base because he would just be the 'King of Oldtown' and/or perhaps the Reach. But to become king in meaningful sense of the word he has to control more than just one kingdom. The Riverlands must be his, the Crownlands, the Stormlands, perhaps even the Vale. And, of course, Dorne. The idea that they would aid him if he ends up trying to win the favor of the Reach of all places - by going to Oldtown - makes little sense to me. Arianne certainly isn't going to like that idea.

The High Septon's power base is the Great Sept of Baelor. Nobody is going to take a ragged band of commoner seriously if that band isn't residing in the seat of the Great Sept - not to mention that the sparrows don't have a power base down in Oldtown. One assumes that the Hightowers have better things to do then to let unwashed beggars enter their city in the thousands...

Tyrion figuring out the Blackfyre riddle isn't what I meant. Who cares what Tyrion tells Daenerys half a world away? He could tell her that Aegon's mother was a spotted cat for all we know. My point is that Illyrio and Varys have to interact with Aegon, Connington, and Arianne to make Aegon's heritage an interesting/important part of the overall story. Whatever Stannis' people or Dany's people will proclaim about Aegon should have about the same effect as Stannis' claims about Joffrey - none. At least as long as Aegon is victorious in battle.

But there is a lot of potential for conflict, backstabbing, and murder if Aegon, Connington, and Arianne learn that Aegon is in fact not Rhaegar's son. And for that they have to be with Aegon, not somewhere else.

Illyrio could technically join Aegon in Oldtown - but why should he if he said he would join them in KL? That means he'll come when Aegon has won his throne, and Oldtown would only be one step on the way to the real goal (the Iron Throne). So there would be no reason to go there since Illyrio would expect Aegon to march against KL next, right? Perhaps this wouldn't happen in that scenario due to other people's machinations but Illyrio couldn't know that, right?

In addition, Varys would effectively out of the story doing nothing if Cersei ended up controlling the capital until the end of the story. I mean, if he didn't leave the city after Tywin's murder he is going to leave it now. And why the hell shouldn't he do everything in his power to allow Cersei and/or the Tyrells to keep the city that was the Targaryen capital? That just doesn't make any sense.

If there is a wildfire plan Cersei would have to implement that in the very near future, to burn down the Tyrells, the High Septon and the sparrows, and all her other enemies. But she cannot possibly do that if Varys isn't going to let her - which he presumably won't because, you know, without KL, the Red Keep, and the Iron Throne his Targaryen pretender will inevitably fail. Perhaps a Targaryen dragonrider could rebuild the Targaryen reign without the symbolic power of the Red Keep and the Iron Throne, but Aegon won't be able to do so. Blackfyre is just a sword, after all.

10 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

They might put a new High Septon in charge, declaring the High Sparrow beeing elected unlawfull. That is how kings in the real world dealed with certain popes on numerous occassions. Since the High Sparrow has made enemys under the nobility and is about to make even more enemies replacing him with a more nobility-friendly substitute might even be a "pro"-argument for lords to join "Aegon".

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

George has said that ADwD was supposed to be about 'disease', but that turned out to be a rather big letdown, suggesting that the big plague will come in TWoW. He didn't give Connington the sickness to not spread it. Perhaps he is smart enough not to infect Aegon, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to infect anyone else.

And nobody would die of the normal slow-going greyscale in the remaining books. Not unless there was a jump ahead in time. So if the sickness plays a role Connington will spread the grey plague, and not greyscale.

And, of course, the plague will be the beginning of the end for the 'Aegon is the savior king' story. He'll become the Plague King, the Stone King, the King Who Brought Us Death, and to stay on the throne/control the plague he'll have to very gruesome things. He cannot possibly do that from Oldtown as a base because he would just be the 'King of Oldtown' and/or perhaps the Reach. But to become king in meaningful sense of the word he has to control more than just one kingdom. The Riverlands must be his, the Crownlands, the Stormlands, perhaps even the Vale. And, of course, Dorne. The idea that they would aid him if he ends up trying to win the favor of the Reach of all places - by going to Oldtown - makes little sense to me. Arianne certainly isn't going to like that idea.

The High Septon's power base is the Great Sept of Baelor. Nobody is going to take a ragged band of commoner seriously if that band isn't residing in the seat of the Great Sept - not to mention that the sparrows don't have a power base down in Oldtown. One assumes that the Hightowers have better things to do then to let unwashed beggars enter their city in the thousands...

Tyrion figuring out the Blackfyre riddle isn't what I meant. Who cares what Tyrion tells Daenerys half a world away? He could tell her that Aegon's mother was a spotted cat for all we know. My point is that Illyrio and Varys have to interact with Aegon, Connington, and Arianne to make Aegon's heritage an interesting/important part of the overall story. Whatever Stannis' people or Dany's people will proclaim about Aegon should have about the same effect as Stannis' claims about Joffrey - none. At least as long as Aegon is victorious in battle.

But there is a lot of potential for conflict, backstabbing, and murder if Aegon, Connington, and Arianne learn that Aegon is in fact not Rhaegar's son. And for that they have to be with Aegon, not somewhere else.

Illyrio could technically join Aegon in Oldtown - but why should he if he said he would join them in KL? That means he'll come when Aegon has won his throne, and Oldtown would only be one step on the way to the real goal (the Iron Throne). So there would be no reason to go there since Illyrio would expect Aegon to march against KL next, right? Perhaps this wouldn't happen in that scenario due to other people's machinations but Illyrio couldn't know that, right?

In addition, Varys would effectively out of the story doing nothing if Cersei ended up controlling the capital until the end of the story. I mean, if he didn't leave the city after Tywin's murder he is going to leave it now. And why the hell shouldn't he do everything in his power to allow Cersei and/or the Tyrells to keep the city that was the Targaryen capital? That just doesn't make any sense.

If there is a wildfire plan Cersei would have to implement that in the very near future, to burn down the Tyrells, the High Septon and the sparrows, and all her other enemies. But she cannot possibly do that if Varys isn't going to let her - which he presumably won't because, you know, without KL, the Red Keep, and the Iron Throne his Targaryen pretender will inevitably fail. Perhaps a Targaryen dragonrider could rebuild the Targaryen reign without the symbolic power of the Red Keep and the Iron Throne, but Aegon won't be able to do so. Blackfyre is just a sword, after all.

Aegon does not need to take King's Landing in order to control anything. "Power resides where men believe it resides".

He has already taken Storm's End, the strongest castle in Stormlands, along with Tarth, Estermont and Cape Wrath. With impregnable Storm's End taken and Mathis Rowan and his forces joining, more storm lords will flock to his side.

Not to mention Arianne and Dorne, who are foreshadowed to back Aegon.

There is a big Tyrell army marching on Aegon from King's Landing, and I will bet everything that Randyll Tarly leads that army. I think this will be the first major field battle that Aegon and his supporters win that will impress Arianne (which will bring Aegon marriage offer and Dornish swords) and defeated Randyll.

The best commander of Tyrell troops (possibly best commander in the Southern Westeros) gets captured and defects to your side from enemy camp, it does not get better than that. I think Jon Connington is aware that Randyll, not Mace Tyrell, was the only one who defeated Robert Baratheon during rebellion).

With Stormlands, Dorne and Golden Company behind him and the main military danger of King's Landing neutralized, Aegon has all the tools to march on Oldtown which is invaded by ironborn and self proclaimed King Euron Greyjoy. Saving Oldtown is the best political and the only necessary step in order to solidify his rule.

If Hightowers, thankful for the help, bend the knee to Aegon, it means that the prince will have the backing of the most wealthy family along with Lannisters and the second biggest city of the realm on his side.

Cersei's actions in King's Landing will result in crown's weakening, but she will make sure to take some Tyrells out and give some payback to the Faith for public humiliation. It all depends how Cersei and Margaery's trials will go down. I suspect Cersei will win her trial (even though she is gulty), while Margaery loses (even though she is innocent).

The result of Margaery's trial will spill in open war on streets between Tyrell soldiers and Faith militants backed by common folk. High Sparrow might decide to stop supporting the corrupt government of King's Landing (Tyrells and Lannisters) and travel to Oldtown to meet Targaryen prince.

Again, as you can see, I think situation in King's Landing will prompt High Sparrow to look for Aegon in Oldtown and base the Faith in the second largest city.

I do not think Illyrio and Varys will ever meet Aegon, as I think one is busy gathering all the support he can get in Essos using his vast contacts as well as arranging Dany and her dragons' arrivals to Westeros to further support Aegon, while the other is doing everything in his power to sabotage the enemies in King's Landing.

I think Arya will kill Varys in King's Landing later in the story, probably ADOS, there are several foreshadowings for that.

19 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

They might put a new High Septon in charge, declaring the High Sparrow beeing elected unlawfull. That is how kings in the real world dealed with certain popes on numerous occassions. Since the High Sparrow has made enemys under the nobility and is about to make even more enemies replacing him with a more nobility-friendly substitute might even be a "pro"-argument for lords to join "Aegon".

If Aegon did that while he was not already completely in charge of the entire Realm he would fall down as quickly as he arrived in Westeros. Aegon needs friends, not enemies, and the High Septon, too. Antagonizing him would be as stupid as to march against Oldtown. If Aegon wanted to help them he could send the second Dornish army in the Prince's Pass that way, but going there himself if he is already as close to KL as Storm's End would just be stupid.

Besides, there is no reason to believe that Aegon and his people will take the threat Euron poses seriously. Why should they? He is just a pirate, and therefore he cannot gain much prestige if he puts him down not to mention that he most likely won't believe the Hightowers and Tyrells can't deal with the Ironborn themselves. The Ironborn threat weakens Mace, prevents him from bringing his full strength to defend KL, and that's the place he'll want to take. Not Oldtown.

Unlike Stannis back in the beginning of ACoK Aegon already has the numbers and the allies to take and hold KL, and he would be completely foolish not to act as soon as possible on that after he has secured Storm's End.

The only thing preventing him from taking KL would be if the Golden Company was defeated by the Tyrell army marching against them. But if that happened he wouldn't march to Oldtown, either. He would lack the strength, Dorne wouldn't support him, and the Stormlands who might join him would abandon him again. The best he could hope to do is fall back to Storm'S End or try to flee back across the Narrow Sea.

But if Aegon wins a victory over the Tyrell army the next logical strategic step would be to march on to the capital and take it. Especially in light of the fact that there is a pretty good chance, thanks to Varys and the High Septon (who isn't exactly the best friend of either the Lannisters or the Tyrells) would help him open the gates as soon as his army arrived at the city.

If Aegon had enough troops at this point to send relief forces to the Reach he'll do so. But he has no reason to go there himself. King's Landing is the city of the Conqueror and all the Targaryen kings after him. He'll want to take it, and the throne his ancestors sat upon.

Yeah, power resides where people believe it resides. And people believe the true and rightful king of Westeros is the guy sitting on the Iron Throne. Not some good-looking boy on a horse.

If the Golden Company intended to help the Reach and/or fight the Ironborn they would have tried to actually by a fleet of warships in Volantis. Or they would actually have landed in the Reach, not the Stormlands. Instead of aiming at Storm's End they would already march to Oldtown and/or try to take Highgarden.

45 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If Aegon did that while he was not already completely in charge of the entire Realm he would fall down as quickly as he arrived in Westeros. Aegon needs friends, not enemies, and the High Septon, too. Antagonizing him would be as stupid as to march against Oldtown.

With the latter one you are right. I doesn't make much sense to march on Oldtown. Except if he needs to. If the Tyrells finally take over in KL and putting their main strength there "Aegon" might want to take on the Reach to lure them back. A stopp in Oldtown would fit just well then.

And for the High Septon. Sure he could ally with the High Sparrow. But many Lords despise the High Sparrow or will start to despise him if they learn about his views of religion and politics. His election is highly desputable. He is a loose canaon on deck with his radical views.

I would name a substitute, if I was Aegon. Not in the situation now, but when he needs a High Septon.

1 minute ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

With the latter one you are right. I doesn't make much sense to march on Oldtown. Except if he needs to. If the Tyrells finally take over in KL and putting their main strength there "Aegon" might want to take on the Reach to lure them back. A stopp in Oldtown would fit just well then.

And for the High Septon. Sure he could ally with the High Sparrow. But many Lords despise the High Sparrow or will start to despise him if they learn about his views of religion and politics. His election is highly desputable. He is a loose canaon on deck with his radical views.

I would name a substitute, if I was Aegon. Not in the situation now, but when he needs a High Septon.

Nobody in-universe actually questioned the election of the High Septon. While there are antipopes and such in the real world, there is as of yet no precedent for that kind of thing in Westeros, so trying to actually depose a High Septon or replace him with a rival pretender might actually don't go well if you tried to (you can assassinate him, of course, but that's a different thing).

The only people right now antagonized by the High Septon are Cersei, Mace, and Tarly. Nobody else has commented that he hates or despises him, nor is the High Septon likely to actually attack lordly privileges - remember, he needs friends. Culling or challenging the power of the Crown isn't something that should irritate the Lords of the Realm. They can only profit from such a development.

But Aegon and the High Septon are effectively natural allies right now. The High Septon has provoked the Lannisters and the Tyrells, and neither Stannis nor Euron are pretenders he could reasonably support. But Aegon is ideal. He is Targaryen prince who isn't incest-born, and who could easily be the savior the sparrows want to believe in. Remember how they talked about Tommen in AFfC? The sparrows are essentially a smallfolk movement, and the smallfolk still idolizes the Targaryens. And if some resurrected prince is going to help them to get rid of the hated lions, they will take it.

I could see Aegon attacking the Reach/marching to Oldtown if there was a stalemate between him and the Tyrells in KL, or if Mace and Tarly decided to actually not march against him. But that's apparently not what's going to happen.

Connington knows the Stormlands, the Golden Company is the most professional army in this part of the world, and Harry Strickland has elephants. Tarly may be a good soldier, but he is not going to win a battle if Aegon/Connington choose the battlefield. And if the Tyrell army loses, then there is simply no reason to push the advantage and march against KL. The news of Aegon's victory will arrive there much faster, and it should be no problem to enter the city. Varys and/or the Faith will see to that. Perhaps even the Tyrells - after all, jumping ship in the last minute is better to go down with it. And Tommen isn't Mace's son, after all.

If the Lannister-Tyrell alliance survives the death of Kevan - which isn't clear yet, fighting could break out any minute now - it certainly won't survive the defeat of the Tyrell army marching against Storm's End.

Well only lately a high septon was taken from his horse, drawn through the streets and butchered into pieces. It's not like high septons are regarded untouchable by anyone in Westeros.  In fact we don't know much about the history of this office at all. So there might be precedents for anit-high-septons or not.

I don't see "Aegon" and the High Sparrow being natural allies. The High Sparrow seems to be a fan of the time before the conquor. He revitalizes the faith militant, the Targaeryens fought so vigerously. It's true that not many Lords have learned about the High Sparrow and his ideas and no one seems to care outside KL  so far. But that will change immediatly when the High Sparrow will release his acolytes to preach his way throughout the country and when he might unleash the power of his faith militant on "sinfull" lords outside KL.   This "Savonerola" really is not the person you would want to team with.

53 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Well only lately a high septon was taken from his horse, drawn through the streets and butchered into pieces. It's not like high septons are regarded untouchable by anyone in Westeros.  In fact we don't know much about the history of this office at all. So there might be precedents for anit-high-septons or not.

I don't see "Aegon" and the High Sparrow being natural allies. The High Sparrow seems to be a fan of the time before the conquor. He revitalizes the faith militant, the Targaeryens fought so vigerously. It's true that not many Lords have learned about the High Sparrow and his ideas and no one seems to care outside KL  so far. But that will change immediatly when the High Sparrow will release his acolytes to preach his way throughout the country and when he might unleash the power of his faith militant on "sinfull" lords outside KL.   This "Savonerola" really is not the person you would want to team with.

That was a riot, not a formal deposition. Everyone can be murdered, after all.

Aegon and the High Septon are natural allies because of the fact that both have severe issues with the Lannisters and Tyrells. The High Septon has humiliated the Queen Dowager in front of the entire city, has accused her of various crimes, and tries to do pretty much the same thing with the Queen. If he and Mace don't reach an understanding - and that seems unlikely now that Kevan is dead - things will escalate pretty quickly. Tarly isn't a fan of the High Septon, either, and is very pissed that they have to go along with his demands.

Granted, the High Septon certainly wants to keep in newly restored Faith Militant orders. But who is going to allow him to keep them? A king like Aegon who could greatly profit from the public and formal proclamation from the Voice of the Seven on Earth that he is, indeed, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell and the rightful King of Westeros or King Tommen whose government most certainly won't forget how the Faith has treated both Cersei and Margaery?

I mean, granted, perhaps neither Cersei nor Mace may have the strength to punish the Faith and the High Septon right now, but they won't forget. Once Tommen's enemies in the field are all destroyed the time will come to deal with the Faith, one way or another. And one should assume that the High Septon understands that, too. He is, after all, not exactly a stupid guy.

King Aegon VI Targaryen cannot possibly turn against the Faith in the same way if he (partially) owes his crown to the High Septon. Especially not if he is crowned and anointed by him.

The idea that the High Septon is now further antagonizing the Lords of the Realm by preaching against them isn't really indicated. In fact, the sparrow movement in the books recruits itself not so much out of pious fanatics but from the war-suffering smallfolk in the Riverlands and elsewhere. They hope to put an end to the war and see the reason for the war - quite correctly, I might add - in the corrupt nobility which (unlawfully) controls the Crown right now.

I agree there must a reason that a faith septon (also a noble lady) was in the secret band of aegon and also follow him everywhere. 

Aegon is in the camp of faith. 

Oh! Are we going to see a high septon? That will be exciting! 

Archived